• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. It's seriously sad how many people were asking for a Mario Maker port

User Info: Terminuse

Terminuse
1 month ago#1
I mean, i’m glad Nintendo did the right thing and made a sequel, instead of being lazy and buying into the uninformed fans who wanted just a port.

I say this even with Super Mario Maker being one of my favorite Wii U games (the Wii U being a system that I didn’t like very much at all)

Sometimes, it’s simply a better idea to make a game that all fans can enjoy, rather than specifically targeting the demographic who “didnt own muh wii u”

Don’t know why this is such a tough concept to grasp. I feel bad for people who wanted Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad sequels

User Info: Banjo2553

Banjo2553
1 month ago#2
Mario Maker is definitely one of those games where a sequel with more content would absolutely be better than a mere port, so yeah that kind of confused me that people were wanting a port.
Game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
Gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwVQm69J7bGScbv3_50C0dA

User Info: Shadowbird_RH

Shadowbird_RH
1 month ago#3
I'm glad Switch got Hyrule Warriors DE. I own a 3DS and a Wii U, but the previous versions lack either content or performance, and I wasn't willing to choose between the two. I only bought it when we got a version with everything in one package.

As for Mario Maker, being more of a development platform than a game itself, a sequel makes the previous game obsolete, which is more similar to the enhanced ports some games got than it is to actual sequels which are entirely different games.
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully. R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
Omega Ruby Secret Base - https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrht5cvsjiyfnrj/SecretBase.JPG

User Info: DavCube

DavCube
4 weeks ago#4
It's a level editor. It may as well BE a port.
http://backloggery.com/davcube

User Info: sh1234

sh1234
4 weeks ago#5
DavCube posted...

Pretty much this... I mean I completely think that Mario Maker 2 is a sequel and not a port - but for this type of game to qualify as a sequel, it needs to contain all the stuff from MM1. An "Deluxe" port would have likely contained some of the features in a sequel.

But anyway, I think people wanted a port because they wanted Mario Maker on Switch. Of course, anyone would rather Mario Maker 2 to a direct port.

User Info: Terminuse

Terminuse
4 weeks ago#6
@DavCube posted...

No. f*** that s***. Stop enabling Nintendo laziness.

Just because it has all content from Mario Maker 1 doesn’t mean it’s a port.

Is Smash Ultimate a port because it has all Smash Wii U characters and stages?

Exactly, enough with the nonsense and enough with the awful reasoning for lazy ports.

User Info: T_Info

T_Info
4 weeks ago#7
I think it's more accurate to look at the Wii U ports/sequels on a spectrum, rather than "port or sequel." For example:

Tropical Freeze was very close to the "full port" side of the spectrum.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was closer to the middle of the spectrum, especially with a brand new battle mode, but still leaning on the port side.

Splatoon 2 was a definitely a new game, but for Splatoon diehards (like me), it was actually closer to the middle of the spectrum (aka half port, half sequel) than you might think. (Ex: A lot of reviewers thought Splatoon 2 added way more weapons, but at launch, it was actually pretty similar to what Splatoon 1 had 6 months after launch.)

Smash Ultimate kinda seemed port-ish at first, but the more we learned about it, the more clear it became that it was pretty close to the "full sequel" side.

I mention all this because Nintendo must do a calculation with every game they release. Have they added enough to be able to call the game a full sequel? With Mario Maker 2, they calculated the answer is yes.

But would we have been upset if Mario Maker 2 had been closer to Mario Maker Deluxe, just a little bit more to the left on the spectrum? No, no we wouldn't have been. For this game, it was always going to be enough just to get more themes, more tools.

User Info: yodalovesu

yodalovesu
4 weeks ago#8
I'm always perplexed when I see people asking for ports as well. Isn't it always better to get a new game? Isn't that the point of going out and owning the most recent console?

User Info: Shadowbird_RH

Shadowbird_RH
4 weeks ago#9
yodalovesu posted...
I'm always perplexed when I see people asking for ports as well. Isn't it always better to get a new game? Isn't that the point of going out and owning the most recent console?

New games are always new, but not always better. Ports of games that were greatly enjoyed, that one would be interested in playing with just a little coaxing, say some added features, a slight visual overhaul, being able to play it on/off the TV which wasn't previously possible, etc.

Ports are more or less a sure thing. Those who've played those games know what they're getting for the most part, and those who enjoyed those games and would replay them have nothing to be uncertain about, whereas new games always carry the possibility of disappointment. On top of that, they're usually quite a bit easier to make than new games from scratch, so demand is more likely to be fulfilled.

Demanding new games on the other hand, is less likely to be productive. Either developers already have their plans in place and will get to those games in due time, or have no plans of making new games in a particular series at a given time, and it would take a monumental amount of demand to get developers to reconsider. Back to ports though, they could also be a way to reinvigorate interest in a series, and if they do well enough, convince developers to seriously consider new games in the future better than any round of internet banter.
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully. R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
Omega Ruby Secret Base - https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrht5cvsjiyfnrj/SecretBase.JPG

User Info: ecylis

ecylis
4 weeks ago#10
Similarly, I'm baffled by how many people want Mario Odyssey to get a couple kingdoms as DLC when they could just make a full blown sequel
http://i.imgur.com/UgOcJQG.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. It's seriously sad how many people were asking for a Mario Maker port
  • Topic Archived