• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Which side makes stories better? Western or Japanese?

User Info: PacificFun

PacificFun
1 week ago#21
Ehhhhh, they both have their ups and downs.
I'd say at their best, they're equal.
A bit of a pessimist...but I can be reasonable at times.

PacificFun
1 week ago#22
Linetrix posted...
Japan tends to make more cryptic plots that usually let you figure things out for yourself. Or rather, their stories focus on the plot itself. That goes for everything, games, movies, novels. Western authors value more the human side of the story, the relationship between characters, the reactions, the emotions, etc.

To people that like to oversimplify things, that usually means calling Japanese stories "convoluted" and Western ones "simplistic". The Last of Us has a very "simplistic" story, that focuses on the relationship between two characters, and it's a great story. Dark Souls has a "convoluted" plot that is extremely cryptic and let you figure things out for yourself, and that's amazing as well.

To each his own.

This!
This is so perfect.

PacificFun
1 week ago#23
Kungfu_Hero posted...
Linetrix posted...
Japan tends to make more cryptic plots that usually let you figure things out for yourself. Or rather, their stories focus on the plot itself. That goes for everything, games, movies, novels. Western authors value more the human side of the story, the relationship between characters, the reactions, the emotions, etc.

To people that like to oversimplify things, that usually means calling Japanese stories "convoluted" and Western ones "simplistic". The Last of Us has a very "simplistic" story, that focuses on the relationship between two characters, and it's a great story. Dark Souls has a "convoluted" plot that is extremely cryptic and let you figure things out for yourself, and that's amazing as well.

To each his own.

I understand where you’re coming from with that second paragraph, but I don’t agree with the first at all. Japanese fiction absolutely cares just as much about the emotional, human side of stories.

You're not going to see the Japanese make an anime with a story like Toy Story.

User Info: JustWatch

JustWatch
1 week ago#24
Japan has written a few pretty good tragic villains.

Also I like how they're not afraid to touch on certain mature issues in their stories.

Stuff that western studios won't touch with a 10-foot pole just because it doesn't adhere to some fluffy ideal worldview or isnt politically correct. The only mature themes really seem to excel in is violence. Other stuff is few and far between.
Spankworthy Jester.
IG= Seanmw1214. Switch= SW-6099-7422-0031

User Info: mareepgod

mareepgod
1 week ago#25
It all depends on the writer. But usually the writer will be influenced by the norm so you'll see the same generic stories except for a few rare different ones.

Japan seems to like to focus on emotion, but in a very extreme way beyond normal western standards. It's usually on par with some sappy Romeo and Juliet-like, or DIsney-like.

Western I feel focuses more on adult demographic, and a lot of violence too. You'll rarely see many western shows/games that have teenagers in school. At least, not in the way where Japan excessively uses the teenage setting to portray all of the emotions/insecurities of a teen.

99% Japan stories are hyper-melodramatic, it's almost crazy how different it is compared to anything else.

User Info: FinalFantasyer

FinalFantasyer
1 week ago#26
Stories? Western

Literally everything else? Eastern
PSN: Novigrad_
SW-1345-9332-2527
PacificFun posted...
You're not going to see the Japanese make an anime with a story like Toy Story.

Well... Shinchan?
(message deleted)

User Info: Endgame

Endgame
1 week ago#29
Western. Definitely western.

Japan is too big on rehashing the same plots and calling it "tradition". Japan is too big on using the same pandery archetypes (There WILL be a token tsundere and a token loli in anything Japanese these days.) and going down a list instead of trying to actually make unique characters.

Western game developers don't know how to make interesting or rather good villains. Its always black and white, good vs evil cliche. I enjoy the Japanese style of storytelling, more diversity in their stories despite being slower pace.

lolwhat? Half of Japanese villains want to become "God" and/or are s***ty edgelords. (Often both at the same time. lolFF7) And a lot of them just wind up being shallow Saturday morning cartoon villains. Japanese writers fail at villains harder than other areas.

.....To the point where the most memorable Japanese villains are the likes of Bowser, Dr. Wily, and Giovanni who have rather simple goals and not more pretentious ones.

Japan tends to make more cryptic plots that usually let you figure things out for yourself.

lolwhat?

Most Japanese video games/interactive movies use the same damn shounen anime plot while virtually every cryptic game is made by western developers.

Western characters and stories are usually boring stereotypes

Tsunderes.

I really don't need to say anything more and go through all the other archetypes. You have already lost with a single word.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert

PacificFun
1 week ago#30
FinalFantasyer posted...
Stories? Western

Literally everything else? Eastern

Traditional animation, when done right; gives anime a run for its money in terms of style imo.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Which side makes stories better? Western or Japanese?
  • Topic Archived