• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Which side makes stories better? Western or Japanese?

User Info: GreatAegis

GreatAegis
6 days ago#1
And the better developed characters too?
Xenoblade 2 - NieR Automata - Dragon Quest XI > Best JRPGs of the generation

User Info: LinkofEvil

LinkofEvil
6 days ago#2
Western game developers don't know how to make interesting or rather good villains. Its always black and white, good vs evil cliche. I enjoy the Japanese style of storytelling, more diversity in their stories despite being slower pace.

User Info: PortableXombie

PortableXombie
6 days ago#3
I never looked at it this way. I enjoy great stories and both sides have told some.
3DS FC- 1091-9670-0736 P.Xombie
Klang, Magneton, Klefki

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
6 days ago#4
Hate anime tropes so western by default.

User Info: Linetrix

Linetrix
6 days ago#5
LinkofEvil posted...
Western game developers don't know how to make interesting or rather good villains. Its always black and white

I think you're mistaking "western" with "anime", my good sir.
"Saying someone is Japanese is offensive" -"Just because someone called you a xenophobe, that doesn't make it a violation" - GameFAQs mods

User Info: UltraGoombaX

UltraGoombaX
6 days ago#6
Both have good stories. I still prefer Japanese since they aren't afraid of being weird.
I am from planet Vegeta. Fear me!

User Info: LinkofEvil

LinkofEvil
6 days ago#7
Linetrix posted...
LinkofEvil posted...
Western game developers don't know how to make interesting or rather good villains. Its always black and white

Don't know what kind of Anime you have been watching then because I haven't ran into anything like that in the medium.

User Info: Linetrix

Linetrix
6 days ago#8
Japan tends to make more cryptic plots that usually let you figure things out for yourself. Or rather, their stories focus on the plot itself. That goes for everything, games, movies, novels. Western authors value more the human side of the story, the relationship between characters, the reactions, the emotions, etc.

To people that like to oversimplify things, that usually means calling Japanese stories "convoluted" and Western ones "simplistic". The Last of Us has a very "simplistic" story, that focuses on the relationship between two characters, and it's a great story. Dark Souls has a "convoluted" plot that is extremely cryptic and let you figure things out for yourself, and that's amazing as well.

To each his own.
"Saying someone is Japanese is offensive" -"Just because someone called you a xenophobe, that doesn't make it a violation" - GameFAQs mods

User Info: SkittyOnWailord

SkittyOnWailord
6 days ago#9
Western characters and stories are usually boring stereotypes, so Japan gets my vote.
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
i7 5820K|Rampage V Extreme|32GB DDR4 Ripjaws 4|EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra|HAF 932|Sony 55inch 4K HDR

User Info: Kungfu_Hero

Kungfu_Hero
6 days ago#10
LinkofEvil posted...
Linetrix posted...
LinkofEvil posted...

Don't know what kind of Anime you have been watching then because I haven't ran into anything like that in the medium.

You’ve never watched an anime where good and bad are black and white? Dragon Ball? Sailor Moon? What medium doesn’t have examples of unambiguous good versus evil is my question.
Blu-ray Collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=201087
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Which side makes stories better? Western or Japanese?
  • Topic Archived