• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo is working with ISP to track illegally downloaded games.

User Info: omniryu

omniryu
3 months ago#1
https://gonintendo.com/stories/324872-nintendo-working-with-isps-to-send-out-copyright-strikes-to-those
PSN/XBL: OMNIRYU
Switch FC: 5419 6809 0486

User Info: kungpowchicken

kungpowchicken
3 months ago#2
always use a vpn when doing anything remotely illegal.
i7-9700K|MSI Armor GeForce RTX 2070|MSI Z390-A Pro|XPG Z1 16 GB|240 GB WD SSD + ADATA 480 GB SSD + 1 TB 7200RPM WD HD
PSN: kungpowchickn/ STEAM: KungPowChicken

User Info: ikki5

ikki5
3 months ago#3
Why would ISPs work with Nintendo on that? If people start seeing ISPs giving away personal information, people are going to go to different ISPs.
All signatures are offensive!

User Info: Goomba_Owns_All

Goomba_Owns_All
3 months ago#4
Good
Goomba for SSB5

User Info: omniryu

omniryu
3 months ago#5
ikki5 posted...
Why would ISPs work with Nintendo on that? If people start seeing ISPs giving away personal information, people are going to go to different ISPs.

I don't know if they give away Information but they will give you a copyright strike.
PSN/XBL: OMNIRYU
Switch FC: 5419 6809 0486

User Info: KurzWeber72

KurzWeber72
3 months ago#6
They're going after people downloading Wii U games? Really? That's where they are worried about losing money?

Let's hope Viacom can find that notorious Laserdisc bootlegger next.
Fc:4768-7618-5314
Or 2638-3926-9055

User Info: Jinzo 111887

Jinzo 111887
3 months ago#7
Guess this is what they're doing with their online multiplayer fee revenue. Going after pirates while committing an act very similar to piracy to get the money.
Putting basic functionality of a system like online multiplayer and the ability to back up data behind a premium membership shows little faith in it.

User Info: Maverick_Reznor

Maverick_Reznor
3 months ago#8
it doesnt take much
Companies just have to put in a request to the ISP's or can hire a third party company to delegate and track their IPs.
Sony does it, Nintendo does it, Microsoft does, almost everyone does it.
Its nothing new, it been happening for over a decade now.
I can also tell you its harder for them to track anything pre-gamecube
Killing Backlog: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Dragon Quest XI, Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

User Info: darklink67

darklink67
3 months ago#9
All isps can do at least in canada is send you a letter and slap you on the wrists. You might get throttled at most. You have to do a lot more than just download games to get in any kind of trouble

User Info: GuyKopski

GuyKopski
3 months ago#10
ikki5 posted...

they can be held accountable if they do not cooperate

it's not something that happens often since generally the cost of tracking someone down and taking them to court over piracy isn't worth it, but it can theoretically happen

but yeah generally speaking your isp dgaf what you do as long as you're paying them, they'll throw you under a bus to save themselves, but if nobodys bothering them they don't care
I was right about Kencineroar. I was right about the Grinch leak being fake. I was right about no Rex. I was right about spirits deconfirming.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo is working with ISP to track illegally downloaded games.
  • Topic Archived