• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Why were kids in the 80s so good at playing games?

User Info: AleshaWhoSmiles

AleshaWhoSmiles
4 weeks ago#31
evilish posted...
Because we didn't give a damn about forgettable SJW issues, learned how to reconcile with defeat with a smile, and put our skills to the test by achieving unlockable content; not pixelated trophies or achievements. Plus communicating and interacting in a friendly, non-toxic way was huge, unlike most gamers today.

So sad that new-aged gamers will never experience this. They're too stuck in their individualistic, overly competitive ways.

this post is so damn annoying
also I stopped using sxe to define myself because that indicates to certain people that i don't have casual sex, which is definitely not the case

User Info: Garethc78

Garethc78
4 weeks ago#32
A lot of good points have been raised, we had to “master” a game because for me and my brother growing up in the 80’s games only came on birthdays or at Christmas, if that game happened to suck then we had to suck it up until the next one came along.

We also visited arcades as a social hub when growing up in the pre internet days. Being good at a game there would net you minor celebrity status and in 2P games where we had a rule of winner stays on, it meant your pocket change went a hell of a lot further the better you were.
3DS FC - 0018-0160-7304 - Taff
PSN - taff1337 Switch - 4968-6775-4086

User Info: Atarigamer

Atarigamer
4 weeks ago#33
yodalovesu posted...
Because we had to be. The games didn't help us win or teach us how to play them. You had to get good just to play the darned things.

This^

I'd love to see some 'modern' gamers play something like Jet Set Willy for more than 5 mins without crying.
Currently playing:-
PS4 - AC:Odyssey | Switch - Diablo 3 | ZX Spectrum - Cyclone/Jetpac/Minder, C64 - Bruce Lee/Rescue on Fractalus

User Info: N64Pro

N64Pro
4 weeks ago#34
Questionmarktarius posted...
Because we had lots of time play to play games, but not a hell of a lot of money to buy them. Cheap games didn't really exist, apart from all the s***ty 2600 games nobody even bought for fifty cents during the crash in 1983.

Thus, we got really damn good at the game we had. Otherwise, we'd have nothing really to play until the next birthday or Christmas or whatever.

This so much. Games were every bit as expensive as they are now (and sometimes more). There really weren't too many outlets for renting games, and if you got stuck you had two options - either keep plugging and eventually figure it out or call some number and pay for tips.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/community/AUTOMOD/boards
I wonder if this is still a thing...wouldn't be surprised.

User Info: The_DOAM

The_DOAM
4 weeks ago#35
Socializing

Tons of people hanging out in the arcades socializing with each other
Ignorance is Bliss...

User Info: Taitao

Taitao
4 weeks ago#36
Great username TC, I am a big fan of John Woo films.

Anyway, the games back then on 3rd generation consoles (Nes, SMS, etc) were challenging. Some had difficulty settings in Mega Man 2.
HSF2:AE++

User Info: iMURDAu

iMURDAu
4 weeks ago#37
I don't think any group of kids from any era are any better at games than another.

Just like sports, math, or anything else. Dynamics change.
My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.
- Mitch Hedburg

User Info: townparkradio

townparkradio
4 weeks ago#38
We weren't. Not by choice anyway. Games had to have artificial difficulty to keep you coming back because they were so TINY. These days I can beat Super C in twenty minutes, give or take a few. If I had been able to do that on Christmas Day when it was given to me? What a rip off.

Today games have a lot more sense and content.

Oh.and here's the other thing: you hand a kid Super C today? At first he will suck _exactly_ as much as I did at first. Gamers today aren't any worse (especially not those who play online) we just had lower content games and far less options.

User Info: 0ofreako0

0ofreako0
4 weeks ago#39
they weren't "so good" at playing games then and "so bad" now. that's just not true. it's old people saying "THINGS WERE DIFFERENT WHEN I WAS A KID!" and it's dumb as s***.

there were easy games back then. there are hard games now.

there were s*** games then. there are good games now.

not everything is CoD. not every dev is 2K.

so much of what TC is saying in this thread is cringey and embarrassing bulls*** that just screams "GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!".

User Info: nibernator

nibernator
4 weeks ago#40
AleshaWhoSmiles posted...
evilish posted...
Because we didn't give a damn about forgettable SJW issues, learned how to reconcile with defeat with a smile, and put our skills to the test by achieving unlockable content; not pixelated trophies or achievements. Plus communicating and interacting in a friendly, non-toxic way was huge, unlike most gamers today.

So sad that new-aged gamers will never experience this. They're too stuck in their individualistic, overly competitive ways.

this post is so damn annoying

gotta just ignore the turds
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Why were kids in the 80s so good at playing games?
  • Topic Archived