• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Why were kids in the 80s so good at playing games?

User Info: ChowYunFatt

ChowYunFatt
4 weeks ago#1
I came across this discussion and found it interesting. Is the reason why kids of the 80s are so much better at games is because their experience at the arcade and actually communicating and interacting much better with their fellow gamers?

http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/retro/why_were_kids_in_the_80s_so_good_at_playing_games_while_kids_today_are_so_poor?start=100
Not as good as some, but far better than most.
Because we had lots of time play to play games, but not a hell of a lot of money to buy them. Cheap games didn't really exist, apart from all the s***ty 2600 games nobody even bought for fifty cents during the crash in 1983.

Thus, we got really damn good at the game we had. Otherwise, we'd have nothing really to play until the next birthday or Christmas or whatever.

User Info: evilish

evilish
4 weeks ago#3
Because we didn't give a damn about forgettable SJW issues, learned how to reconcile with defeat with a smile, and put our skills to the test by achieving unlockable content; not pixelated trophies or achievements. Plus communicating and interacting in a friendly, non-toxic way was huge, unlike most gamers today.

So sad that new-aged gamers will never experience this. They're too stuck in their individualistic, overly competitive ways.
No rockets in my pockets, no mortars in my quarters.

ChowYunFatt
4 weeks ago#4
I'm always telling my friends how gamers of the 80s have superior lives and are superior at gaming because unlike us they were raised the right way. My generation of PS1 kids are all spoiled, entitled losers who are doing it wrong. Why do we have to keep lying about NES generation being superior and better than us when it is fact?

User Info: Dirak

Dirak
4 weeks ago#5
Because games were short, and they were mostly about repetition, so you eventually would learn all the patterns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrQEsqcvpM
Some music goes with everything.

ChowYunFatt
4 weeks ago#6
Dirak posted...
Because games were short, and they were mostly about repetition, so you eventually would learn all the patterns.

I'd rather play that then some game where the devs pour in 80% into graphics and 20% into game play. "Let's go play the latest COD since everyone else is playing and it's easy to do good!!! Durr....durrr....durr.."

NES devs were pure and appreciated making hard games. They weren't about micro transactions and making easy games to appease the majority just to sell copies.

User Info: yodalovesu

yodalovesu
4 weeks ago#7
Because we had to be. The games didn't help us win or teach us how to play them. You had to get good just to play the darned things.

ChowYunFatt
4 weeks ago#8
And yet current generation is so sad that people are paying others to watch them play games on twitch instead of playing themselves. How horrible is that? My brother laughs and says that back in the NES days it was about being good enough to not die and keep the controller so that others would watch you play. Everyone wanted to play and hated watching because they had an Alpha mentality and now everyone has a beta mentality and wants to pay others to play.

User Info: Seacliff217

Seacliff217
4 weeks ago#9
I'm still doubtful that most 80 kids actually finished the majority of their games.
But I understand their disappointment that the current generation is overly casualized to the point where the biggest games are no longer marketed towards gamers.

User Info: Dirak

Dirak
4 weeks ago#10
I did beat most of my games in the NES era (before that games couldn't even be finished) but looking back they are too short for today standards, some can be played from start to finish in less than an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrQEsqcvpM
Some music goes with everything.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Why were kids in the 80s so good at playing games?
  • Topic Archived