• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Anyone get Everspace for Switch and how is it?

User Info: DrRM

DrRM
3 months ago#11
Thehereticmonk posted...
@Smackems

The purpose of the game is to get through 7 sectors of space. Each sector is comprised on average of about 4 or 5 maps.
The maps are procedurally generated and each time you move to a new sector the game ramps up a bit.

While playing you come across all sorts of weapons and upgrades for your ship which you can equip straight away.
Additionally you gather crafting materials which can be used for repairs and making upgrades/weapons.

So that's what you can do within a run. When you die and return to the hangar that's where the rouge-lite element comes in.

Between runs you can spend your credits to upgrade a vast array of RPG style perks and things. Credits along with a few rare materials are the only thing you keep after death.

So you're dead now and have to start over, not so bad. For your next run you now have lots of fun new perks activated (hopefully) but your ship is now starting back with it's default loadout.
However during runs you can find blueprints for everything in the game. Once you get a blueprint you can craft that item anytime if you have the right materials.

Now when I'm starting a new run I immediately have a wide array of vicious weapons and helpful devices available to me from the outset. I combine that with a perk you can unlock, that gives a wad of crafting materials upon starting a new run, and from the outset I can make my ship into a death machine.

TL;DR
The rouge-lite elements are very well implemented. There's just enough stuff carrying over that each new run is exciting and feels like an advancement of the previous run.

SL:DR;FSWR

Its like Dead Cell in space...
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."

User Info: Thehereticmonk

Thehereticmonk
3 months ago#12
@DrRM

Out of curiosity what is SL:DR;FSWR?

I'm guessing SL is "still long"?
Stumped on FSWR.
Never knows best!
GT: TheHereticMonk, ESO EU AD - DPS Healer Sorcerer

User Info: PortableXombie

PortableXombie
3 months ago#13
How does it look in portablemode? Is it hard to see things?
3DS FC- 1091-9670-0736 P.Xombie
Klang, Magneton, Klefki

Thehereticmonk
3 months ago#14
@PortableXombie

I play 90% handheld and I'm happy with it.

The areas are quite detailed with lots going on so spotting small floating items and pickups against a backdrop of wrecks/asteroids etc can sometimes be a mission.
Enemies and threats stand out no problems because the marker is a bold red and when you click target select it locks on preferentially to threats.

However, passive points of interest are highlighted by circles of a pale blue colour which I find tricky to see (I have to add that I'm "slightly" colour-blind in that I can't distinguish similar shades of colour).

I've found a quick solution though. If I rotate the camera to point out into the (relatively) plain backdrop of outerspace then all the POI markers stand out clearly at the edge of the screen.
Then I just pan round to wherever a marker is while keeping an eye on it. When the marker disappears it's because whatever the POI is it's now in my field of view. After that it's easy to move your aiming reticle around until it snaps on and text pops up with details and distance to it.

As for text size, it's at the edge of being ok. But it is legible. For menus etc it's no problem but during game play, as it's (generally) white text, sometimes you have to adjust what backdrop the text is overlaying.
Health and shields are represented by coloured bars so the text isn't an issue in fast combat.

Sorry it's a long reply but I wanted to make sure I gave you a fair representation of it.
Never knows best!

User Info: DrRM

DrRM
3 months ago#15
Thehereticmonk posted...
@DrRM

Out of curiosity what is SL:DR;FSWR?

I'm guessing SL is "still long"?
Stumped on FSWR.

yes you got the start :D

Still Long:Didn't Read; For Some Weird Reason

xD
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."

User Info: ckross144

ckross144
3 months ago#16
DrRM posted...
Thehereticmonk posted...
@Smackems

The purpose of the game is to get through 7 sectors of space. Each sector is comprised on average of about 4 or 5 maps.
The maps are procedurally generated and each time you move to a new sector the game ramps up a bit.

While playing you come across all sorts of weapons and upgrades for your ship which you can equip straight away.
Additionally you gather crafting materials which can be used for repairs and making upgrades/weapons.

So that's what you can do within a run. When you die and return to the hangar that's where the rouge-lite element comes in.

Between runs you can spend your credits to upgrade a vast array of RPG style perks and things. Credits along with a few rare materials are the only thing you keep after death.

So you're dead now and have to start over, not so bad. For your next run you now have lots of fun new perks activated (hopefully) but your ship is now starting back with it's default loadout.
However during runs you can find blueprints for everything in the game. Once you get a blueprint you can craft that item anytime if you have the right materials.

Now when I'm starting a new run I immediately have a wide array of vicious weapons and helpful devices available to me from the outset. I combine that with a perk you can unlock, that gives a wad of crafting materials upon starting a new run, and from the outset I can make my ship into a death machine.

TL;DR
The rouge-lite elements are very well implemented. There's just enough stuff carrying over that each new run is exciting and feels like an advancement of the previous run.

SL:DR;FSWR

Its like Dead Cell in space...

More like Rogue legacy in space IMO but close enough to make a comparison with a more recently released game.
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero
3DS FC 3093-7602-1839

User Info: neji721

neji721
3 months ago#17
I found the game frustrating to be honest on the xbox for the free trial.

I was disappointed, I was expecting binding of isaac in outer space. I just deleted it and moved on.

But they could have made the game better as it was early access.

User Info: Smackems

Smackems
3 months ago#18
Thanks for the info guys. Still iffy but once the physical copy is out I'll look at some gameplay and decide from there if I wanna get it. It does look cool.
Common sense is the most uncommon thing in the world-some dude.

Thehereticmonk
3 months ago#19
This version has the expansion included so I'd hope it's a long way from the early access version!
Never knows best!

User Info: TripMachina

TripMachina
3 months ago#20
I also purchased Everspace, and I must say that it's an extremely addictive roguelike space shooter. I'll admit, at first, I was very disappointed because I'd get blown to bits even on the very first map several times...but I swallowed my pride and persisted. The main culprit was getting used to the controls. Pushing and holding in the analog joysticks to boost (which is quite essential) was something that my thumb wasn't used to, so it did hurt for a bit.

...I didn't really start understanding how enemies attacked and what weaponry would be best to deal with each that I've encountered until my 20th death in Sector 1. I do like a challenge, and this game most certainly has it. You need skill to succeed in this game even with the very helpful perks the game offers. You must also have good judgement skills, because if you let your guard down in an ambush, you might not make it out of there alive.

On a special note, HIVE (the onboard computer system that talks to you), has some of the most entertaining lines I've ever heard in a video game. One time, I accidentally bumped into a mine at low health, and then HIVE literally made a fool out of me. xD!!

Well done, ROCKFISH (aka OG Fishlabs)! ;)
"The only solution for Nintendo is to go full 3rd party since their hardware will be considered a joke even by Fisher-Price standards."
-Linetrix
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Anyone get Everspace for Switch and how is it?
  • Topic Archived