• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Anyone get Everspace for Switch and how is it?

User Info: Justice98405

Justice98405
4 weeks ago#1
I know you can get it free with 15 dollars or so spent on the current GoG.com sale, but my laptop ain't that great and I prefer to play games on Switch, so I'm okay with the asking price on Switch if it's good.

I love a good rogue-like, I've got Binding of Isaac, Gungeon, Immortal Redneck, of course Rogue Legacy (on Vita), Wizard of Legend, Bombslinger, Flinthook and more, but always looking for another one that catches my eye.

And I've always loved space combat games, especially the Wing Commander games from back in the day. Wish this was more single-player and story focused like that, but I'll take what I can get. And the whole procedural worlds and the permanent upgrades all sounds cool to me.

But has anyone gotten it and played it on Switch and can weigh in on the game itself and how well it runs on the Switch?
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN (Vita): Justice_98405, Steam: psn_justice_98405, Battle.net (Diablo III/RoS): Justice#1912.

Justice98405
4 weeks ago#2
Bump.
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN (Vita): Justice_98405, Steam: psn_justice_98405, Battle.net (Diablo III/RoS): Justice#1912.

User Info: Manic_Prime

Manic_Prime
4 weeks ago#3
It doesn't answer your question, but I'm waiting for the physical release (estimated for around February) before I pick this up.

Justice98405 posted...
And I've always loved space combat games, especially the Wing Commander games from back in the day. Wish this was more single-player and story focused like that, but I'll take what I can get. And the whole procedural worlds and the permanent upgrades all sounds cool to me.

To what are you referring? From what I have been able to gather about the game, it is a single player game and the story content, including side missions and the included DLC content runs into the 40 to 50 hour stage.
GameFAQs, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and vulgarity. We must be cautious.

Justice98405
4 weeks ago#4
The single player part was reductive I admit. But I meant in that Wing Commander games, the main numbered ones at least, were a linear path of specific story beats and sequences, especially with 3 and 4 and the FMV cutscenes. With Everspace being a rogue-like, that will take away most of those deeper story elements, I assume so at least.
To the mattresses.

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
4 weeks ago#5
Waiting for physical too

User Info: riboflav

riboflav
4 weeks ago#6
It plays very good on the Switch. Controls take some getting used to (not Switch-related issue though).

FPS and graphics are very good as well. I can't give good impressions about the game itself since I've not put enough time into it yet. All I can say is that it runs great.

User Info: Thehereticmonk

Thehereticmonk
4 weeks ago#7
I've got it and have been playing it solidly.
I'm a bit confused as to why there's not more talk about it as it's great.
Performance wise, it runs, looks and sounds spot on.
As for the gameplay I'm loving it. The controls are tight and have good customisation options.
The progression loop is balanced nicely to keep you replaying. This is the make or break area of rouge lites for me and Everspace has nailed it.
Finally there's a vast assortment of gadgets, weapons and upgrades for your ship keeping things fresh and exciting.
As the cherry on the top they even game up with a half decent story that logically explains the rouge lite gameplay loop.

Right now I have zero complaints.
Never knows best!
GT: TheHereticMonk, ESO EU AD - DPS Healer Sorcerer

User Info: Smackems

Smackems
4 weeks ago#8
How hard does it lean into the rogue like stuff? I'm really not into having to start over again and again in games.
Common sense is the most uncommon thing in the world-some dude.

User Info: IloveElite

IloveElite
4 weeks ago#9
Waiting for a sale, it looks ok but not worth £35
Flat Earthers - Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason

User Info: Thehereticmonk

Thehereticmonk
4 weeks ago#10
@Smackems

The purpose of the game is to get through 7 sectors of space. Each sector is comprised on average of about 4 or 5 maps.
The maps are procedurally generated and each time you move to a new sector the game ramps up a bit.

While playing you come across all sorts of weapons and upgrades for your ship which you can equip straight away.
Additionally you gather crafting materials which can be used for repairs and making upgrades/weapons.

So that's what you can do within a run. When you die and return to the hangar that's where the rouge-lite element comes in.

Between runs you can spend your credits to upgrade a vast array of RPG style perks and things. Credits along with a few rare materials are the only thing you keep after death.

So you're dead now and have to start over, not so bad. For your next run you now have lots of fun new perks activated (hopefully) but your ship is now starting back with it's default loadout.
However during runs you can find blueprints for everything in the game. Once you get a blueprint you can craft that item anytime if you have the right materials.

Now when I'm starting a new run I immediately have a wide array of vicious weapons and helpful devices available to me from the outset. I combine that with a perk you can unlock, that gives a wad of crafting materials upon starting a new run, and from the outset I can make my ship into a death machine.

TL;DR
The rouge-lite elements are very well implemented. There's just enough stuff carrying over that each new run is exciting and feels like an advancement of the previous run.
Never knows best!
GT: TheHereticMonk, ESO EU AD - DPS Healer Sorcerer
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Anyone get Everspace for Switch and how is it?
  • Topic Archived