• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Is the Ark port pretty decent?

User Info: MWXIII

MWXIII
1 month ago#1
Ive never played the game but my son wants it.

He has a PC and I have an extra PS4 but I would rather get it for him on the switch because... well, switch.

The board for that game is dead though so im asking here
Karma, Truth, Vengeance
PSN - MWXIII NSW- 772023730916 Steam - TyrXIII/Tyr Above All B.Net - MWXIII

User Info: Exurna

Exurna
1 month ago#2
It runs horribly on every platform.

When I last played, it would constantly "freeze" for a few seconds, but things would still happen, then it would fast-forward to catch up to where you were supposed to be, which was annoying, but not as annoying as the other thing it constantly did, which was that it would kind of "fast-rewind" to what you were doing 3-5 seconds before.

Multiple videos on this issue, hundreds of forum posts about this happening for a ton of people across every available server, and the devs never even acknowledged it as an issue. Hell, at one point there was a developer on the server I and a few friends were playing at, and several people asked in the global chat if they were going to fix it, and the dev was just kinda "Hehe alright I need to get back to work :) Have a good evening everyone :))"

It's a shame, it could've been a great game.
I can imagine folks who blindly attack Nintendo all day get paid to do so.

User Info: MWXIII

MWXIII
1 month ago#3
Exurna posted...

When I last played, it would constantly "freeze" for a few seconds, but things would still happen, then it would fast-forward to catch up to where you were supposed to be, which was annoying, but not as annoying as the other thing it constantly did, which was that it would kind of "fast-rewind" to what you were doing 3-5 seconds before.

Multiple videos on this issue, hundreds of forum posts about this happening for a ton of people across every available server, and the devs never even acknowledged it as an issue. Hell, at one point there was a developer on the server I and a few friends were playing at, and several people asked in the global chat if they were going to fix it, and the dev was just kinda "Hehe alright I need to get back to work :) Have a good evening everyone :))"

I remember hearing stuff like this back in the day on PC but its been so long that I kinda... assumed they fixed it
Karma, Truth, Vengeance
PSN - MWXIII NSW- 772023730916 Steam - TyrXIII/Tyr Above All B.Net - MWXIII

User Info: larryp78

larryp78
1 month ago#4
MWXIII posted...
Exurna posted...

I remember hearing stuff like this back in the day on PC but its been so long that I kinda... assumed they fixed it

I would hope they fixed it by now

User Info: gamer1104

gamer1104
1 month ago#5
Everything I've seen so far is that the game runs terrible on everything that's not a very strong pc. And it runs abysmally on the switch.
No problem can't be solved with more coffee.
Current consoles I game on: Switch, PS4 pro

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
1 month ago#6
I love Ark on PC, but I've got an extremely high end computer. I've not had issues with it freezing and having to catch up, that sounds like server lag. Does console have non-dedicated servers / single player ones?

It does run fairly mediocre even on my rig, I get about 80-90 FPS at 1440p, but it drops down to below 40 sometimes , and I've got nearly as high end of a computer as you can get
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: yodalovesu

yodalovesu
1 month ago#7
Check out BeatEmUps vid on YouTube about this...

https://youtu.be/pTzx02n8Lw8

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
1 month ago#8
yodalovesu posted...
Check out BeatEmUps vid on YouTube about this...

https://youtu.be/pTzx02n8Lw8

Man that's rough! It definitely runs a lot better on PC. Honestly, I really like it on PC despite it's flaws, but that Switch version looks pretty terrible.

I think a lot of his issue was that he played on an official server, instead of playing solo. Which is why he was trapped in the house, and part of the lag issues. The game is absolutely ROUGH for a new player if you just take off sprinting through the jungle, you will get utterly obliterated in seconds, so him dying 7 times in 10 minutes isn't too unexpected honestly.

It's a shame the Switch version is so bad, but there's no way the Switch has the hardware to handle Ark. Ark is a pretty terribly optimized game on PC, I don't know what they were thinking trying to get it to run on Switch without SERIOUSLY working on optimization first
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: darklink67

darklink67
1 month ago#9
No its god awful.

User Info: Infinity8378

Infinity8378
1 month ago#10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z2kL3ZGpxo
Gl:youtube.com/watch?v=9pfmhKLK_6I&t Flops: youtube.com/watch?v=KNkSv2A4bEU
Switch 4TF using CPU algo.PBytes Throughput: https://youtu.be/KNkSv2A4bEU