You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Smash Online seems to be quite laggy so far.
The first few days don't really count. If it's still bad in like a week or so, then you can really judge.

Besides that, I'm not expecting a huge improvement compared to Smash 4. Their solution was to segregate the online community by matching up players who live closer together, but there was no mention of an improved netcode. If that was the case, then I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned it.

Barely anyone has the game right now, so obviously it's going to be a bit laggy since the selection pool of players who live close by is still small right now.
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: El_Zaggy

El_Zaggy
3 days ago#82
I always had issues with smash online on wii u, problem is people play the game without an ethernet cable because Nintendo is too cheap to put a connector on the console. I,m sure I'll have trouble with smash Ultimate online too.
(edited 3 days ago)
El_Zaggy posted...
I always had issues with smash online on wii u, problem is people play the game without an ethernet cable because Nintendo is too cheap to put a connector on the console. I,m sure I'll have trouble with smash Ultimate online too.

The lack of an ethernet cable doesn't cause major lag, that's a common misconception. It's just people having crap connections or trying to play online with busy connections.
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.

User Info: Jayvir

Jayvir
3 days ago#84
Maybe if people didn't try playing with f***ing dialup, it wouldn't be a problem
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir

User Info: the_rowan

the_rowan
3 days ago#85
Chilly0123 posted...
BenjaMan64 posted...
NintendoGamer83 posted...
afr1234 posted...
Is p2p

Just like the more expensive Sony

I've wondered about this myself. Digged a bit and found this.

Does the PlayStation 4 use Dedicated Servers or Peer-to-Peer for Multiplayer

Unlike the Xbox One, the PlayStation 4 has not moved to a dedicated severs model for online multiplayer. Outside of instances where specific developers have supplied dedicated servers for their game, this means that online play on PlayStation works on the Peer-to-Peer system. When a multiplayer game begins, one player acts as the server (the central computer) and all other players connect through that user to each other and the game. This is not the ideal situation, as stability and speed issues are defined by location and quality of the host player’s equipment and connection. That said, it’s still functional and in most instances, you will be unaware of a downgrade in performance.

Source: https://www.finder.com.au/gaming/what-is-the-playstation-network Posted on May 9, 2018.

Huh. I thought that PS4 games without dedicated servers were the exception rather than the norm. Then again I don't play much online PS4 outside of Overwatch and Friday the 13th The Game.

This is one of the reasons why i hate peer-2-peer connections, whoever is chosen as the host/server for the match is the only one who gets to have a smooth experience, everyone else has to suffer with a disadvantage that they have no control over.

News flash: literally every fighting game ever made has used P2P because it reduces latency between two players, and GGPO doesn't have host advantage. Having dedicated servers for a fighting game does not make any sense whatsoever.
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia

User Info: Irony

Irony
3 days ago#86
Well Nintendo has always had s*** online
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.

User Info: BenjaMan64

BenjaMan64
1 day ago#87
I played more matches wireless today. Very few times I had lag. It's been great so far.
Check yourselves for Hepatitis C. By the time symptoms show up, it may be too late to prevent permanent damage.
Rest in peace, Mom. 12/08/1947-11/10/2018.

User Info: Exurna

Exurna
1 day ago#88
BenjaMan64 posted...
I played more matches wireless today. Very few times I had lag. It's been great so far.

I've played 8 matches online, experienced no lag so far.

There was a time when the enemy Marth just stood still for a good 20 seconds, I don't know if he was lagging or wanted to give up as I and KO'd him 4 times and he had done less than 30% damage to me on my first stock.

User Info: tr1bes

tr1bes
1 day ago#89
Cool. Another stupid online lags.

I'm pretty sure, Sega can fix all the lags for Nintendo. Remember Sega does what Nintendon't.
Good to be a gamer.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Smash Online seems to be quite laggy so far.