• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. So are Nintendo's servers objectively garbage or is my internet really terrible?

User Info: RaulJenkins

RaulJenkins
11 months ago#1
I really don't understand, but I might be stupid. If I am, please explain why. That would be helpful.

Lag is to be expected, yes. It's online gaming. But I have NEVER experienced the same frustrations playing on a PC / Xbox One / PS4 (except for severe cases - whether it's the servers or my s***ty internet) as I have playing online on Nintendo consoles. Whether it's Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS, Smash Bros on the Wii U or Fortnite/Splatoon 2 on Switch - CONSTANT LAG.

The only game in recent memory I have played that didn't have these issues was Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U (pretty standard - a bit of lag here and there which is to be expected).

Would buying an ethernet adapter for my Switch help? Would a wired connection really make that much of a difference? (even though most of the time my Xbox One is being played on WiFi with very little interruption). I'd really like to pay for Nintendo Switch online because 20 dollars a year (at least in my opinion) is a good deal (even though yes, I can play for free on PC, but not Nintendo games!). Unfortunately I simply can't, but I feel like it's something on MY end causing the trouble so I don't want to dismiss Nintendo's online services quite yet.
Raul

User Info: Chilly0123

Chilly0123
11 months ago#2
Wired connections are always better than wireless, this applies to everything from internet to controllers.
Switch FC: 6749-4573-6683 | Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/chilly01234/

User Info: BladeManEXE

BladeManEXE
11 months ago#3
When I play on Wifi, I get disconnects all the time in Splatoon 2. When I play wired, it's rock solid 99% of the time. As far as I can tell, my issues are pretty much all on my end.

One could make the argument that Nintendo made a mistake choosing a Wifi chip that doesn't work as well with (older) 2.4 GHz wireless routers (such as mine; it's at least a decade old), but otherwise I'm pretty sure much, if not most, of the problems are user-side.

User Info: dantedeschain13

dantedeschain13
11 months ago#4
It's all been peer to peer for Nintendo, right? So it won't matter if your internet is 2gb down, if the other guy's sucks you are in for a bad time
F*** you, Desert Bluffs

User Info: SilverBassCross

SilverBassCross
11 months ago#5
What servers?
Mother 4 and MegaMan Battle Network Chrono X, two fangames that deserve more recognition. Please check them out.
www.mother4game.com / www.mmbnchronox.com

User Info: Sekiro

Sekiro
11 months ago#6
I think it has something to do with the NES app. Something on Nintendos side that they need to adjust because other Switch games online are fine.

For now, put on low latency mode in the settings to help with the lag. Switching that setting definitely helped with the lag.
Never thought I'd miss the food on Corneria.

User Info: Kai_Laguna

Kai_Laguna
11 months ago#7
1) The switch has fairly mediocre wireless
2) It's peer2peer multiplayer, not server based. So your latency is dependent on the quality of some random person you are playing with.

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
11 months ago#8
It's probably a combination of wifi generally being bad for online + the Switch having a very weak wifi adapter in general.

The ethernet adapter is cheap and makes a big difference, so if it's an option you might want to consider it.

Sekiro posted...
I think it has something to do with the NES app. Something on Nintendos side that they need to adjust because other Switch games online are fine.

They're not really. You're probably used to playing games like Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart, which allow the players to be somewhat out of sync with each other. This allows them to tolerate far higher ping values and more packet loss than other games can. For games that require perfect sync, like Mario Tennis and Blazblue, the lag is super noticeable.
https://gababoutgames.blogspot.com/ - GAB About Games, a retro console rating project, SNES / PS1 on now
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery

User Info: Board_hunter567

Board_hunter567
11 months ago#9
There are no dedicated servers (this is the case for the majority of games on PS4 and XB1 for that matter - it's astonishing how many people seem to think otherwise).

The problems likely come from shoddy netcode or the Wifi component in the Switch not playing nice with some routers, or it's designed to not draw much power, or just isn't very good.
You could try moving your Switch closer to your router, or buy a Wifi repeater, or the ethernet adapter. If it still doesn't work you're really out of options aside from maybe trying a new router.

Edit: There are also a few tweaks you can try, depending on your router and settings. You could also test between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
http://i.imgur.com/szMsu.png
Validate your purchases and discredit the purchases of others whenever possible. Numbers objectively define quality and enjoyment.

User Info: Sekiro

Sekiro
11 months ago#10
Terotrous posted...
It's probably a combination of wifi generally being bad for online + the Switch having a very weak wifi adapter in general.

The ethernet adapter is cheap and makes a big difference, so if it's an option you might want to consider it.

Sekiro posted...

They're not really. You're probably used to playing games like Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart, which allow the players to be somewhat out of sync with each other. This allows them to tolerate far higher ping values and more packet loss than other games can. For games that require perfect sync, like Mario Tennis and Blazblue, the lag is super noticeable.

What about DBZ fighter and Monster Hunter?

Even Smash Bros for the 3DS was fine.
Never thought I'd miss the food on Corneria.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. So are Nintendo's servers objectively garbage or is my internet really terrible?
  • Topic Archived