• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. If Nintendo has no way to legally obtain the games, why are ROMs a problem?

User Info: BurgerTime79

BurgerTime79
8 months ago#11
1. The games are copyrighted, and the people putting the games up on those sites down have permission to distribute them. Now before you start counterpointing this about used game sales, the user agreement on physical copies is the same as digital. You can't copy, alter or distribute the code. You can sell that physical copy. You can't rip the code and sell that.

2. If Nintendo wanted to resell those games, you know full well the mentality of people. "Why should I buy X game for Y amount of money, when I can get the rom for free?". This is also the same people who try and claim that X game shouldn't cost Y, because some random Joe is selling his copy for Z.

3. Last time I checked, the gaming world doesn't revolve around every single gamer having access to every old game for as cheap as they want them for. You can't quickly pull out a device and play the exact game you want at any time? Too f***ing bad. And don't try to claim some s*** about this being anti consumerism either. Your entitlement doesn't make make you right.

INB4 the typical crying and assumptions about some "defense force" because a comment isn't revolved around agreeing with a negative viewpoint.
A new board for people from New England to gather and chat
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1451-new-england-community

User Info: darklink67

darklink67
8 months ago#12
JackBurns83 posted...
They are still selling some of these games that are on the rom sites are they not?

90 percent of them will never see the light of day again if nintendo get their way.

User Info: SSjB3Yagami

SSjB3Yagami
8 months ago#13
BurgerTime79 posted...
1. The games are copyrighted, and the people putting the games up on those sites down have permission to distribute them. Now before you start counterpointing this about used game sales, the user agreement on physical copies is the same as digital. You can't copy, alter or distribute the code. You can sell that physical copy. You can't rip the code and sell that.

2. If Nintendo wanted to resell those games, you know full well the mentality of people. "Why should I buy X game for Y amount of money, when I can get the rom for free?". This is also the same people who try and claim that X game shouldn't cost Y, because some random Joe is selling his copy for Z.

3. Last time I checked, the gaming world doesn't revolve around every single gamer having access to every old game for as cheap as they want them for. You can't quickly pull out a device and play the exact game you want at any time? Too f***ing bad. And don't try to claim some s*** about this being anti consumerism either. Your entitlement doesn't make make you right.

INB4 the typical crying and assumptions about some "defense force" because a comment isn't revolved around agreeing with a negative viewpoint.

1. Downloading ROMs is legal in some countries.

2. You're making a blanket statement.

3. Last time I checked, the world doesn't care what people think about the actions of others so long as they're not causing any sort of tangible damage, so why do you?

User Info: Faiyez

Faiyez
8 months ago#14
SSjB3Yagami posted...
Anyone who says playing ROMs is stealing doesn't understand what theft is, and it isn't even illegal depending on your country so that's not a proper argument. Even if it was illegal everywhere and one were to rely on a morality argument, the morality of this subject is... subjective. The only stance a person can take against the "piracy" of classic, unavailable games is "I don't like it"; anyone trying to bark that you're immoral, or breaking the law, or not "entitled" to play them won't be able to back it up with a well structured, objective argument.

Lol, ok
I think they've taken the freedom and liberty thing a BIT TOO FAR!
-GlowStormLion on Japan's kinks.

User Info: The_shoemaker

The_shoemaker
8 months ago#15
Aren't they selling these games through their virtual console service, online subscription and Classic mini consoles?

User Info: Kyoshiro12345

Kyoshiro12345
8 months ago#16
SSjB3Yagami posted...

Im thinking to the people living in those countries otherwise transferring them to a country where those laws are in place would be contraband wouldn't it?
Demon EYES Kyo
Kyoshiro Mibu
(message deleted)

User Info: SSjB3Yagami

SSjB3Yagami
8 months ago#18
Faiyez posted...
SSjB3Yagami posted...
Anyone who says playing ROMs is stealing doesn't understand what theft is, and it isn't even illegal depending on your country so that's not a proper argument. Even if it was illegal everywhere and one were to rely on a morality argument, the morality of this subject is... subjective. The only stance a person can take against the "piracy" of classic, unavailable games is "I don't like it"; anyone trying to bark that you're immoral, or breaking the law, or not "entitled" to play them won't be able to back it up with a well structured, objective argument.

Lol, ok

Kyoshiro12345 posted...
SSjB3Yagami posted...

Im thinking to the people living in those countries otherwise transferring them to a country where those laws are in place would be contraband wouldn't it?

Only if existing laws were changed. Digital files aren't considered imported goods.

User Info: _Candice_

_Candice_
8 months ago#19
I would be willing to paypal Nintendo money to play these games even, the problem is I cant because Nintendo does not make these games available on their platform legally.

I dont know what happened to Nintendo. How they can go from having VC out the ass with the Wii and then trickle out a few games a year with the Wii U to none so far with the Switch?

DUBTuner posted...
Would you still pay for a Big Mc if you could get one for free in a dark alley?

Ironically this also suits the legal argument too. Would you buy a mint copy of Chrono Trigger if your only choice was a back alley deal on Craigslist? No, youd do what any sensible person would do and google for ROMs.
Check out my channel!
http://twitch.tv/travisaxel

User Info: Mmaguy

Mmaguy
8 months ago#20
I am just glad the law favors Nintendo and other creators. They can shut nonsense like that down quickly. Of course, it can still pop online again, a never-ending fight to protect their copyright. But, they can quickly remove the "big sites", that the vast majority of users use, to heavily damage ROM usage. A popular video hits YouTube, but is illegal, millions will watch it. However, if you remove said video, the vast majority of those millions aren't going to spend time searching the internet just to watch it. It heavily cuts the amount of illegal views.

Point being, I am glad the law is how it is and I am glad Nintendo is able to protect their IP's to a degree that makes an impact.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. If Nintendo has no way to legally obtain the games, why are ROMs a problem?
  • Topic Archived