Think the switch's sale are gonna drop once paid online hits?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Think the switch's sale are gonna drop once paid online hits?

User Info: jubal117

jubal117
3 months ago#11
Darkdragoon324 posted...
Paid online doesn't stop anyone from buying PS4s and Xbox Ones.

And those are more than twice as expensive to play multiplayer games.

What a stupid question.

Not only a stupid question but theres some pretty stupid responses as well.
3ds 4081-5508-5697 jubal
Jubal117 Nintendo ID, Jubal17 PSN

User Info: Comyx

Comyx
3 months ago#12
Nah, it's super cheap.

User Info: Dirak

Dirak
3 months ago#13
I'm not poor, so it's not a problem for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrQEsqcvpM
Some music goes with everything.

User Info: spewman

spewman
3 months ago#14
Darkdragoon324 posted...
Paid online doesn't stop anyone from buying PS4s and Xbox Ones.

How do you know this?

Besides, the difference is that switch has had a free trial of online whereas ps4 and xbone always charged for online.

It's not unthinkable that the introduction of a fee for online during a console's life could affect sales, where some people may have bought the console to enjoy the free online while it lasted but newcomers may be deterred by the fee once it has been introduced.
Questionmarktarius 3 months ago#15
spewman posted...
How do you know this?

It's unlikely to cause someone to skip an entire platform, just the online-heavy games for that platform.
Unfortunately, though, that's pretty much every goddamn thing on X1 anymore, and pretty close to that on PS4.

User Info: spewman

spewman
3 months ago#16
Questionmarktarius posted...
It's unlikely to cause someone to skip an entire platform, just the online-heavy games for that platform.

Agreed, but the person to whom I was responding said it as though it was absolutely certain not to affect sales.

User Info: MDS2005

MDS2005
3 months ago#17
aux posted...
It's already costing them sales. Here's a list of the games I'm not buying because of Nintendo Online:

Sushi Strikers
Mario Tennis
Smash
Pokemon Let's Go
Arms

List could grow larger IF third party titles get blocked.

Most of those for me too, as well as:
Spla2n (plus its octo expansion thing)
Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Captain Toad
Labo
Kirby Star Allies
And the actual f***ing Switch itself because this is a deal breaker.
Or whatever.

User Info: kranix1

kranix1
3 months ago#18
I think sales already have started to drop.

Even if they weren't charging for online, it still wouldn't change the fact that Switch's 2018 library has been complete s***.
Starting to believe what Nintendo did was intentional (Tropical Freeze)- NotKarmicDragon

User Info: Lucario39

Lucario39
3 months ago#19
The question is, is it going to directly hurt sales enough to make it not worth their while?

You figure 15 years worth of the subscription is the same price as a Switch, plus about 3 for each of their games that aren't sold... if you assume about 5 more years in the Switch's lifetime, you'd need 3 people paying for online the entire time per unsold Switch, and about 1 for every 2 games of theirs not sold to break even.

Basically, if the number of people that won't buy a Switch because of this is around 1/3 the number of the people who'll pay, without even including the lost game sales, Nintendo's shooting themselves in the foot.
Questionmarktarius 3 months ago#20
Lucario39 posted...
You figure 15 years worth of the subscription is the same price as a Switch, plus about 3 for each of their games that aren't sold... if you assume about 5 more years in the Switch's lifetime, you'd need 3 people paying for online the entire time per unsold Switch, and about 1 for every 2 games of theirs not sold to break even.

The math is even simple than that.
They're not getting $100, because I'm not paying $80 to play the single-player splatoon campaign, and sure as s*** ain't bothering with $20 to play the online bits.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Think the switch's sale are gonna drop once paid online hits?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived