What minimum resolution is acceptable for a handheld?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. What minimum resolution is acceptable for a handheld?

User Info: TinyTim123

TinyTim123
1 month ago#31
What was the GBASP's resolution? That was fine for me.
Artstyle and how smoothly a game plays is far more important to me, especially on a small screen.
Monster Hunter Stories, for example, has cutscenes that look like a Pixar movie to me.
Now blown up on a big screen that would be pretty terrible... kinda how PSOne Classics can look on a large HDTV (and yet still look just fine on a 480i TV).

So as long as a game's artstyle looks nice, the gameplay is smooth, and it's a fun game, I'm likely to play it.
Heck give me more A and AA 3DS games. They cost less to produce and have been a lot more fun to me than most anything I've played on a home console in years.
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
En un mundo perfecto, eso definitivamente importaria.

User Info: Conker

Conker
1 month ago#32
Rand_Aybara posted...
Entirely dependent on screen size

Came in to say this, kinda surprised it took until post 18.

PPI is far more important and relevant.

So I suppose I’d answer the topic with around 200 PPI as acceptable, but ideally something around 300 PPI is much more appealing to me, and 350+ for me to consider it a great display.
If you don't want to argue about something, take the initiative and stfu.
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!

User Info: Ace-of-Clubs

Ace-of-Clubs
1 month ago#33
SkuIItuIakid posted...
Lol at the 3ds fanboy cavemen who decided 240p is acceptable xD

Lol at the Switch fanboy elitist who denies himself 30+ years worth of great games because anything less than 720p is unacceptable xD
I am Ace-of-Clubs, and I approve this message.
"oh boy I can't wait to date those samurai guys" - FSABot

User Info: IloveElite

IloveElite
1 month ago#34
MrTuna posted...
anything under 720p in 2018 is not acceptable

^this
Xyzzy

User Info: dunnyrega

dunnyrega
1 month ago#35
IloveElite posted...
MrTuna posted...

^this

to both of you: you cant force a company to build what you want, you either buy and settle or dont buy and miss out on their IPs and software. no amount of entitled whining with change the way a MULTI BILLION Dollars company makes money.
PSN: Akiradeviruman
https://youtu.be/W3PFqMnqTbI https://www.twitch.tv/dunnyrega

Conker
1 month ago#36
Ace-of-Clubs posted...
SkuIItuIakid posted...

Lol at the Switch fanboy elitist who denies himself 30+ years worth of great games because anything less than 720p is unacceptable xD

We all know it’s implied the question is if it was a newer handheld, not one from a time before these resolutions would have even been a standard for any displays. The topic may not explicitly say that, but being real...bringing up “30+ years of great games” doesn’t matter to many people today.

Conker
1 month ago#37
dunnyrega posted...
IloveElite posted...
MrTuna posted...

^this

to both of you: you cant force a company to build what you want, you either buy and settle or dont buy and miss out on their IPs and software. no amount of entitled whining with change the way a MULTI BILLION Dollars company makes money.

This isn’t entirely true nowadays. With the open communication (to a degree) through social media, it absolutely is a possibility to “force” change through social pressure, even multi billion dollar corporations.

User Info: Ace-of-Clubs

Ace-of-Clubs
1 month ago#38
Conker posted...
Ace-of-Clubs posted...
SkuIItuIakid posted...

We all know it’s implied the question is if it was a newer handheld, not one from a time before these resolutions would have even been a standard for any displays. The topic may not explicitly say that, but being real...bringing up “30+ years of great games” doesn’t matter to many people today.

Whatever resolution is standard for the handheld system in question is the one I consider "acceptable" when considering whether or not I'll play it. If there's a new 3DS game coming out that looks fun, I'm not going to deny myself the ability to play a fun game because "oh noes it looks super but 240p so I can't play this!!!!" That's idiotic. Likewise, just because the Switch can run 720p in handheld mode (for SOME games, it can't even keep a consistent resolution in many of its games, but that doesn't stop me from playing them either. It may be less "acceptable" but I'll still play the game if it's fun) doesn't mean that I can no longer bring myself to pick up and play games on my DS Lite or my GBA SP if they look fun and I missed them when the systems were new.

So anyone who would refuse to play a game because of resolution has really ludicrous priorities IMHO. And yes, while the TC may be talking about current systems, there are most definitely people here who refuse to play classic games because of resolution, so it is still a relevant point to make.
I am Ace-of-Clubs, and I approve this message.
"oh boy I can't wait to date those samurai guys" - FSABot

User Info: nephalim

nephalim
1 month ago#39
Mario Rabbids isn't 720p and it looks great. Shovel Knight could probably be 360p. It depends on the game. Games like XBC2 with an open world detailed 3D artstyle suffer the worst from poor resolution.

But yeah, 480p as a minimum looks ok on a 6" handheld unless it is a super retro artstyle. But it depends on the game.

User Info: spewman

spewman
1 month ago#40
nephalim posted...

But yeah, 480p as a minimum looks ok on a 6" handheld unless it is a super retro artstyle

?? Retro artstyle needs fewer pixels to look good compared to a modern artstyle.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. What minimum resolution is acceptable for a handheld?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived