Nintendo needs to make powerful hardware or leave the console market

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo needs to make powerful hardware or leave the console market

User Info: Zweihanda

Zweihanda
3 months ago#21
And end up like the X? No thank you.
PSN: Zweihanda
Xbox GT: Holy Empress Switch FC: [CLASSIFIED] Steam: [CLASSIFIED]
(message deleted)

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
3 months ago#23
The most adaptable survive not the strongest the group with the most desired traits procreate and doesn't just mean physical strength.
No sig.

User Info: Larni69

Larni69
3 months ago#24
Sonico80085 posted...
In the animal kingdom, the strongest animals survive to procreate and continue the species,

Not true.

The best adapted to it’s environment in terms of reproductive success is successful (unless the environment changes).

The XoneX is the ‘strongest’. What does that tell you about the relative benefit of ‘strength’.

Back to school with you!
How do I change my name?

User Info: DynoStretch

DynoStretch
3 months ago#25
By your logic TC, all the console makers should throw in the towel and surrender themselves to exclusively make games on PC for the rest of forever, cause no matter how much power Sony and Microsoft pump into their consoles, they're losing the graphics race every generation to PC.
"Sony and MS both gave us good systems last generation so their greed is justified." ~ xF0x
Switch Friend Code - SW-7742-3950-7408

User Info: CallmeSoren

CallmeSoren
3 months ago#26
I know it's an unpopular opinion amongst Nintendo fans but yeah, I'd actually like a powerhouse of a console from Nintendo - as long as the quality Nintendo experiences we know and love aren't compromised.
A good indie title is a non-existent indie title!

User Info: Thorspider

Thorspider
3 months ago#27
Even going as far back as the original gameboy, it was designed with lesser tech to keep it affordable while worrying more about the gaming experience. And it completely wrecked the far more technically impressive Game Gear. Nintendo has never felt the need to have the most powerful hardware for the sake of it. It aims to give the best gaming experience while staying within an accessible price.

And it's pretty laughable you would mention kingdom hearts 3 as some impactful game. Despite its vocal fanbase, its importance plays second fiddle to several of the major nintendo IPs

User Info: Cyber Akuma Zero

Cyber Akuma Zero
3 months ago#28
Kyle1022 posted...
PS1 was weaker than N64, still sold better.

PS2 was weaker than Xbox and GameCube, still sold better.

Wii was weaker than PS3 and 360, still sold better.

SNES was more powerful than the Genesis, but sold better

PS4 and Xbox One were both more powerful than the WiiU, and both sold better.

It's not that "the weaker system sells better" but that a system's power does not matter on whether the system is successful or not.

PS4 Pro is weaker than Xbox One X, still selling better.

You're just reaching with that one, the Pro and OneX might as well be lumped with standard PS4 and One sales (in fact, they normally are), the Pro is selling better because the PS4 is selling better, not because it's weaker than the One.

The whole POINT of the Pro and OneX is power, it's not like they are competing with the standard PS4 and One.

PS4 may be the strongest and winning this gen, but any sensible person realizes that it’s more because of the X1’s terrible start and Wii U’s terrible... entire existence, rather than because the PS4 is the strongest console.

Nice attempt to argue that the PS4 is only beating the Switch because of an anomaly, no, it's because it simply has the best software support.

And that's it, that's ALL it is, it's library. Every console has only been as good as it's library.

The issue is, if your console is TOO weak, then you don't get as much 3rd party support, you don't need a powerhouse... but if you make it THAT much weaker than the competition it's library (which is utterly what dictates a console's success) can suffer.

Plus, the Switch is a handheld, not a traditional console.

Ever notice how what the Switch is tends to change to whatever makes it look better? It's a console, or a handheld, or a hybrid (despite there being nothing hybrid about it) depending on whichever makes it look better in the argument.

Thorspider posted...
Even going as far back as the original gameboy, it was designed with lesser tech to keep it affordable while worrying more about the gaming experience. And it completely wrecked the far more technically impressive Game Gear.

That had more to do with a software library worth a damn and not tearing through batteries like a college dorm tears through pizza.

Nintendo has never felt the need to have the most powerful hardware for the sake of it.

Except the SNES, and N64, and Gamecube...
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile

User Info: DoMyEyesLie

DoMyEyesLie
3 months ago#29
First and foremost, Switch is a handheld that can be used like a console (hence its advertisement as a hybrid). While its still a dedicated gaming device, it's technically not a console but rather a handheld.

Second, GPD Win 2, a small 3DS XL sized gaming laptop, is probably the closest in performance we've seen to Switch in portable mode and it's over double the price here in the US.

Third, the power of the PS4 Pro and the XB1 X haven't helped them sell more then the PS4 Slim and XB1 S. In the PC market, the power of the 1080ti hasn't helped it sell more then the 1060 either. This is because more power comes with a larger price tag. A Switch using a more powerful Tegra would have greatly increased the price which would hurt sales.

Lastly, while Switch is undoubtedly weaker then PS4 Slim and XB1 S, it's not a night and day difference. It's like comparing a GT 640, a GTX 650, and a GTX 660ti. There's indeed a difference between them but they can run most of the same games. Go look up GPD Win 2. If you see a game running on it, that's about what they would look like on Switch in portable.
Yay gaming

User Info: _Flextacy_

_Flextacy_
3 months ago#30
Kyle1022 posted...

PS4 Pro is weaker than Xbox One X, still selling better.

PS4 may be the strongest and winning this gen, but any sensible person realizes that it’s more because of the X1’s terrible start and Wii U’s terrible... entire existence, rather than because the PS4 is the strongest console.

Its also all the ps4 exclusives.. all the japanese games which i love .. i have a ps4 pro and a xbox 1 x as well as switch.. i only have 5 games for switch bur i have 402 for ps4 and 74 for xbox 1x.. in saying that tho all the switch games i have are amazing.. but most are ports from the wii u... if the switch could run doom at 60fps id get that for sure but that is a hardware issue.. which is why i wish the switch had just a little more power so it could run it at 60fps..

Nintendo themselves are masters of utilizing every bit of power a console has.. mario oddessy is amaziny and rock solid 60fps.. and im very happy playing hyrule warriors atm at 60fps too..

My Xbox 1 x barely gets touched lately.. i dont regret getting it because i will be getting my multi platforms on it in the future.. but sony just has it down pat this gen.. and switch is a great addition to havr with the ps4 as its the goto local multiplayer machine hands down.. cant wait for Mario Tennis and Smash Bros
Huge Huge Rockstar
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo needs to make powerful hardware or leave the console market

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived