I don't think you guys realize how serious that exploit is

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. I don't think you guys realize how serious that exploit is

User Info: doodlecrazy

doodlecrazy
4 weeks ago#21
kinggravy posted...
Because Nintendo's gone out of business several times when the DS, 3DS, Wii, and Wii U were all hacked and open to mods.

Good try though, TC.

Don't forgot the ps1, ps2, ps3, xbox and the xbox 360.
I'd call you a C***, but I doubt you have either the depth or the capacity to give pleasure.
A blind man walks into a bar... and a table and a chair.

User Info: Brandy1977

Brandy1977
4 weeks ago#22
If the method was not f***ing with your hardware i could see the hack going mainstream but...Hell i was pirating games on PSP because it was easy and it didn't require me doing stuff to my hardware.
http://i.imgur.com/ofERNOz.gif
(message deleted)

User Info: fooedge

fooedge
4 weeks ago#24
If they act fast and replace the vulnerable chip by a new revision (T214?) then the effect will be limited to maybe 20 million consoles. I also wonder if the online services can detect hacked consoles and ban them from the Nintendo network removing the possibility to play online.
I also read that the Switch controls the internal power supplies by software and wrong settings can cause HW damage - fail0verflow already caused temporary damage to the display. Just imagine, it would be too bad if "someone" contributes SW hacks that "unintentionally" have no optimal settings and brick the console over time.

User Info: DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM
4 weeks ago#25
Chances are there will be a hardware revision to counter this flaw soon, and all Switch units from then on out with be secure. So, it's a matter of how much of a problem this will be based on existing hardware units, not including future units. Since very few people actually pirate, even at 1%, if there were 20 million units affected by this flaw, then that's upwards of 200k per software title, which isn't really that bad. Then there's the size of each game to consider that one would have to obtain and utilize digitally. Are all 200k people planning to purchase the expensive 256/400GB microSDs to hold a decent number? This isn't like the Wii or Wii U where one could use a cheap ext HDD, or even the 3DS where games maxed at 4GB. Games will start utilizing 32GB in time (only 1 does so far), and even 64GB games might happen years down the road. That space will fill up quickly.
"When you've got no argument, say something bad about <x>."
Perfectly explains why the Nintendo boards are toxic and are full of trolls/haters.

User Info: FunkyKong84

FunkyKong84
4 weeks ago#26
Terotrous posted...
Note that Wii and DS also had the ability to run pirated games from early in their life and still sold well, had massive developer support, and high attach rates.

Exactly. If anything, the pirated systems do very well, compare the PSP to the Vita and the Wii to the WiiU. The latter consoles can also be hacked, but much more difficultly.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/FunkyKong84

User Info: kinggravy

kinggravy
4 weeks ago#27
FunkyKong84 posted...
Terotrous posted...
Note that Wii and DS also had the ability to run pirated games from early in their life and still sold well, had massive developer support, and high attach rates.

Exactly. If anything, the pirated systems do very well, compare the PSP to the Vita and the Wii to the WiiU. The latter consoles can also be hacked, but much more difficultly.

The argument would be for software, piracy actually helps hardware sales. Just think of it, the mod community is probably calculating just how many Switches they can buy right now. But developers use that news as an excuse. "But then people won't buy games on that console!". That could be quite a mess when Nintendo is already trying to rebuild confidence after the Wii U.
FC: 2852-7398-0118

User Info: mcnichoj

mcnichoj
4 weeks ago#28
Terotrous posted...
but it's still the most widely supported platform by far.
Ahahahahahaha! What a mad man. He thinks AAA devs cares about PC? Tell me one major release that has come out at the same time on PC as it does as console that didn't have major issues for players. You can't. Yet I can source several different games that had big issues, just look at Arkham Knight and they actually had to remove it from sale.
Plenty of instances devs have just skipped PC completely and made their games console exclusive multiplats.
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj | Switch FC: Ask
"Wanting people to have full knowledge of the facts about a console makes you a fanboy."

User Info: Pharsti01

Pharsti01
4 weeks ago#29
Was Nintendo doomed when flashcarts came out for the ds? 3DS? Or any system really?

Nope.

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
4 weeks ago#30
Pharsti01 posted...
Was Nintendo doomed when flashcarts came out for the ds? 3DS? Or any system really?

Nope.

This

if anything it means more people will need to buy a Switch

besides, these people had no intention of buying the games anyway, so this doesn't lead to any loss on Nintendo's part

if anything it will boost hardware sales
Retail PS4, VITA, Wii U, 3DS and Switch games (2013-2018):
https://i.imgur.com/vPM5YTU.jpg https://i.imgur.com/Lhh37vL.jpg https://i.imgur.com/QIzEm7d.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. I don't think you guys realize how serious that exploit is

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived