I don't think you guys realize how serious that exploit is

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. I don't think you guys realize how serious that exploit is

User Info: Silly_One

Silly_One
5 months ago#161
xoftheuniverse posted...
kirbyhoakage posted...
xoftheuniverse posted...
Cyber Akuma Zero posted...
meiyuki posted...
It's also funny that GOG is nearly a match for steam and their games don't even require cracks. There's not even a log in required.

Not to mention Witcher 3, regardless of which version you get, has no DRM whatsoever despite being one of the biggest and most popular games in years. The devs felt all it did was hurt innocent people. I have seen people who mentioned they would not want to pirate it out of respect of the devs not treating them like thieves out of the box.

xoftheuniverse posted...
Here's a question... Will the scum be able to cheat online with this? As it is most people are not happy to pay for online the way it is and if you add online play full of hackers like every other system what will happen?

Depends how the online is setup, but possibly...

... however, cheating online is a very VERY easy way to get banned. This was pretty much the only way people could get banned with a hacked Wii. Nintendo could not detect hacked systems, but they could detect people cheating and ban them for it. It's VERY easy to get found if you cheat online on a console.

Sega9599 posted...
So from what you are saying, nintendo shouldn't put any protection at all on their consoles, and sell more?

Oh look, a strawman!

No, I am saying they should focus more on giving features to their legitimate customers than doing nothing but attempting to block hackers. Not that they should not do anything whatsoever, but less focus on that over focus on your PAYING CUSTOMERS who BOUGHT your system and games. It's insulting that they don't listen to those who gave them money in an effort to attempt to stop those who might or might not buy their software if they couldn't hack anyway.

As Gabe Newell said: "Piracy is a service problem"

That didn't stop them especially on the DS and Wii. The online hacker problem on those two systems was the worst I have ever seen. I still see online hackers all over Pokemon Sun/Ultra Sun so I know for a fact that the banning system will not stop them.

The Pokémon games are the most hack and Cheat infested games of all time. It’s rediculos that one of Nintendo’s best franchises has like no protection.

I can't disagree with that. *sigh* it's hard to even find a single player that doesn't cheat. Sometimes I think I'm the only one.

Don't worry, there's at least two of us. But I'm one of those rare people who enjoy grinding, so...
This isn't a signature.

User Info: Thorspider

Thorspider
5 months ago#162
Gatchan2 posted...
RockrrGirrl19 posted...
Dunno how common it will be for the mainstream to use this exploit though.

This.

It was relatively pretty damn easy to pirate PS1 games, pirate DS games (flashcarts) and yes, even pirate PSP games (despite many people saying pirating killed the PSP, it still sold well; it just didnt sell well towards the end of its cycle in the West due to lack of marketing, much like the Vita, which has way less pirating). And even the PS2 was easy; all you had to get was a flip top cover and buy a disc. Lets not forget the Wii with its Zelda TP trick. and last but certainly NOT least: PC games which is beyond easy.
Despite all that, those devices all sold well as did many of the games on them. Most people simply either do not have the patience, time or effort to bother and many are simply clueless about it and just go to the stores and buy their games or digitally purchase them..

Yeah there is this notion that just because people have the capacity to steal something, then the masses will do it as a means of replacing their normal buying behaviors, and this flies in the face of reality. Even out of the people that are aware of the ease in pirating on some of these consoles, most of them still buy games the normal way. It's not accurate to say an exploit would lead to a dramatic sales decrease.

User Info: Solis

Solis
5 months ago#163
Oh, and to clear up a few previous statements that had been made in this thread:

DiscostewSM posted...
Chances are there will be a hardware revision to counter this flaw soon, and all Switch units from then on out with be secure. So, it's a matter of how much of a problem this will be based on existing hardware units, not including future units. Since very few people actually pirate, even at 1%, if there were 20 million units affected by this flaw, then that's upwards of 200k per software title, which isn't really that bad. Then there's the size of each game to consider that one would have to obtain and utilize digitally. Are all 200k people planning to purchase the expensive 256/400GB microSDs to hold a decent number? This isn't like the Wii or Wii U where one could use a cheap ext HDD, or even the 3DS where games maxed at 4GB. Games will start utilizing 32GB in time (only 1 does so far), and even 64GB games might happen years down the road. That space will fill up quickly.

1% is an exceptionally low estimation for piracy on systems. I would expect it to be closer to 5%, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was up to 10% or more where the system can run copied games easily. For example, upwards of a million modded Xbox 360 consoles were banned from Xbox Live during just one sweep in 2009, a time when the system only had around 20 million active Live users.

Also, it's entirely likely that Switch hacks could enable USB harddrive support, making the issue of storage space fairly minor (the Wii never had official USB storage device support after all, yet obviously it became possible to use them to play copied games). Even then, it's hardly an issue even with smaller sized MicroSD storage as it should be fairly easy to copy to and from it as needed rather than keeping all games on it at once (back when PSP hacks and piracy was popular, it required a Memory Stick Pro, and at the time a 4GB stick was upwards of $80-$100 and games could be up to 1.5GB in size, and piracy still seemed to be done by a fair portion of PSP users), and by the time 32GB and especially 64GB games become more than a tiny minority of Switch releases, the cost of MicroSD cards will likely drop significantly while storage capacity will increase by a proportional amount. In fact, the Switch's reliance on cards as storage and the resulting small typical game size would make the issue of storage exceptionally less of a issue on the Switch than it would be on something like the PS4, Xbox One, or even the PS3 and Wii U when you take into account the lower price and larger size of storage now compared to then.

LinkofEvil posted...
Bulls***.

PS3 (and Wii) was rampant with piracy and it was the worst selling platform of the 7th gen, but it still had boatloads of 3rd party support. TC has no idea what his talking about and is a m****.

The PS3 was actually an extremely secure console. It took around 4 years for it to be exploited to the point that there was any method of playing copied games, and the exploits that were found were quickly patched and online connectivity for hacked systems and games would often be disabled until another workaround could be found. Piracy was an exceptionally minimal problem on the PS3 for a majority of its supported lifecycle.

Irony posted...
About as serious as the PS3 exploit that was said to be unpatchable, but did get patched.

That's certainly not the case: there was no exploit on the PS3 that was unpatchable, and those that made claims about it were obviously wrong. This is much more comparable to the Pandora Battery for the PSP, which legitimately couldn't be and obviously never was patched. You cannot patch a hardware function that operates before the firmware is even initialized when there is no way to modify that hardware.
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review

User Info: aryanbrar

aryanbrar
5 months ago#164
Megaman Omega posted...
aryanbrar posted...
DahlVaughnni posted...
MyPetKenshin posted...
For the first time ever, the term “Nintendoomed” can be used unironically. If people are able to easily pirate software, Switch will lose all 3rd party support. And if people can download first party games for free, Nintendo won’t make enough money to keep developing exclusives.

This could very easily snowball into a disaster.

Yeah, just like the DS which was highly unsuccessful and didn't end up selling very w-...wait a minute.

Ds had 0 smartphone to eat its market share
My dear sunshine try again

...which has absolutely nothing to do with some Switch hack.

Can't even read huh. Nintendo no longer holds monopoly in handheld department.

User Info: metaphysician

metaphysician
5 months ago#165
Gatchan2 posted...
RockrrGirrl19 posted...

This.

It was relatively pretty damn easy to pirate PS1 games, pirate DS games (flashcarts) and yes, even pirate PSP games (despite many people saying pirating killed the PSP, it still sold well; it just didnt sell well towards the end of its cycle in the West due to lack of marketing, much like the Vita, which has way less pirating). And even the PS2 was easy; all you had to get was a flip top cover and buy a disc. Lets not forget the Wii with its Zelda TP trick. and last but certainly NOT least: PC games which is beyond easy.
Despite all that, those devices all sold well as did many of the games on them. Most people simply either do not have the patience, time or effort to bother and many are simply clueless about it and just go to the stores and buy their games or digitally purchase them..

Or, you know, have enough ethics that they wouldn't consider stealing. That always is a possibility too. . .

User Info: uberking422

uberking422
5 months ago#166
Thorspider posted...
Gatchan2 posted...
RockrrGirrl19 posted...

This.

Yeah there is this notion that just because people have the capacity to steal something, then the masses will do it as a means of replacing their normal buying behaviors, and this flies in the face of reality. Even out of the people that are aware of the ease in pirating on some of these consoles, most of them still buy games the normal way. It's not accurate to say an exploit would lead to a dramatic sales decrease.

I feel like a lot of the big illegal download numbers come from when a system catches on in a smaller market where fewer people can afford to pay the retail price for that many games. Apparently the PSP was big enough in places like that that some people made a business of selling downloads on the cheap.

User Info: HeartOfValor

HeartOfValor
5 months ago#167
Solis posted...
1% is an exceptionally low estimation for piracy on systems. I would expect it to be closer to 5%, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was up to 10% or more where the system can run copied games easily. For example, upwards of a million modded Xbox 360 consoles were banned from Xbox Live during just one sweep in 2009, a time when the system only had around 20 million active Live users.

Modded console rate =/= piracy rate. You're making a logical fallacy and assuming people who mod their consoles pirate every game. Say you have 50% of the consoles being modded and pirates buy 50% of the games they have, then you would only have 25% piracy rate.

User Info: Megaman Omega

Megaman Omega
5 months ago#168
aryanbrar posted...
Megaman Omega posted...
aryanbrar posted...
DahlVaughnni posted...
MyPetKenshin posted...
For the first time ever, the term “Nintendoomed” can be used unironically. If people are able to easily pirate software, Switch will lose all 3rd party support. And if people can download first party games for free, Nintendo won’t make enough money to keep developing exclusives.

This could very easily snowball into a disaster.

Yeah, just like the DS which was highly unsuccessful and didn't end up selling very w-...wait a minute.

Ds had 0 smartphone to eat its market share
My dear sunshine try again

...which has absolutely nothing to do with some Switch hack.

Can't even read huh. Nintendo no longer holds monopoly in handheld department.

And that AGAIN has nothing to do with that Switch hack. I know that critical thinking is hard for the likes of you, but at least try to keep up.
"The Switch couldn't handle DooM." - slyman19
"Wolfenstein coming to the Switch? 0% chance." - slyman19
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. I don't think you guys realize how serious that exploit is

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived