• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. I don't think you guys realize how serious that exploit is

User Info: MyPetKenshin

MyPetKenshin
7 months ago#1
For the first time ever, the term “Nintendoomed” can be used unironically. If people are able to easily pirate software, Switch will lose all 3rd party support. And if people can download first party games for free, Nintendo won’t make enough money to keep developing exclusives.

This could very easily snowball into a disaster.
Placeholder sig till I think of something better to write.

User Info: RockrrGirrl19

RockrrGirrl19
7 months ago#2
Dunno how common it will be for the mainstream to use this exploit though.

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
7 months ago#3
Piracy doesn't actually matter. It has no sales impact because only like 1% of the market actually does it, and those people rarely buy games anyway. All PC games are cracked within days but it's still the most widely supported platform by far.

Note that Wii and DS also had the ability to run pirated games from early in their life and still sold well, had massive developer support, and high attach rates.

It will also be patched on a hardware level so only the first 20 million or so Switches will be susceptible to it.
https://gababoutgames.blogspot.com/ - GAB About Games, a retro console rating project, SNES / PS1 on now
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery

MyPetKenshin
7 months ago#4
Terotrous posted...
Piracy doesn't actually matter. It has no sales impact because only like 1% of the market actually does it, and those people rarely buy games anyway. All PC games are cracked within days but it's still the most widely supported platform by far.
The impact isn’t on sales, it’s on devs. Devs support consoles because they offer a certain amount of security. Remove that security and you remove the support.

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
7 months ago#5
MyPetKenshin posted...
Devs support consoles because they offer a certain amount of security. Remove that security and you remove the support.

Devs only care about sales. Wii U was "secure" but no one supported it because games sold so poorly. PC has no security yet is supported heavily because games sell well.
https://gababoutgames.blogspot.com/ - GAB About Games, a retro console rating project, SNES / PS1 on now
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery

User Info: BlueDsc

BlueDsc
7 months ago#6
MyPetKenshin posted...
The impact isn’t on sales, it’s on devs. Devs support consoles because they offer a certain amount of security. Remove that security and you remove the support.

Didn't seem to phase the DS or 3DS all that much.

User Info: ken95

ken95
7 months ago#7
lol seriously it's always the same story.
Even then there's nothing for the end user with the exploit at least right now...

MyPetKenshin
7 months ago#8
Terotrous posted...
MyPetKenshin posted...
Devs support consoles because they offer a certain amount of security. Remove that security and you remove the support.

Devs only care about sales. Wii U was "secure" but no one supported it because games sold so poorly. PC has no security yet is supported heavily because games sell well.
Yeah I can guarantee you that devs aren’t going to invest millions of dollars on an exclusive that becomes “freeware” the second it’s released. They’re going to take that exclusive elsewhere. PC is the exception but not the rule.

User Info: BlueDsc

BlueDsc
7 months ago#9
MyPetKenshin posted...
PC is the exception but not the rule.

Why?

User Info: Beetleking22

Beetleking22
7 months ago#10
MyPetKenshin posted...
For the first time ever, the term “Nintendoomed” can be used unironically. If people are able to easily pirate software, Switch will lose all 3rd party support. And if people can download first party games for free, Nintendo won’t make enough money to keep developing exclusives.

This could very easily snowball into a disaster.

Did not harm Wii or its softwares. Not big deal.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. I don't think you guys realize how serious that exploit is
  • Topic Archived