Do you watch the Pokemon anime?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Do you watch the Pokemon anime?

User Info: Bahamut_10th

Bahamut_10th
4 months ago#91
Xeogran posted...
Bahamut_10th posted...
The battles and pokemon behavior are a lot more interesting in the anime IMO.

There are almost no battles in Sun & Moon and every Ultra Beast is being dealt with in a peaceful manner, which dissapoints me tbh.

Yeah it’s the extreme opposite to XY which is why I’ve been on the fence about catching up.
Yoshiaki Koizumi should replace Eiji Aonuma as producer of Zelda.

User Info: _Dog

_Dog
4 months ago#92
@Skyminxyz posted...
LuxHeart posted...
I dropped out with Diamond and Pearl.

I got tired of Ash because he was a whiny f*** who constantly fails. Even his friends fail, and they do better when they leave his sorry ass behind. I'm sorry, but I wanted them to replace Ash and be true to the manga and video games.

Except May surprisingly enough who somehow managed to get wrecked by Dawn despite Dawn literally only winning one contest until that point. Really makes you think just how little May has progressed considering she even dressed up and was called the contest "princess" yet lost to a beginner.

Actually, makes one question what message that was suppose to portray. May was brought up and expected to be a professional trainer one day by her father, yet argued (when they returned to the town) that with enough effort, she could become a professional contestant, even without anyone in her family having prior experience. Yet, even after a "year" (since time stops in Pokémon apparently) of going through two regions, she loses to the prodigy child who's mother is also a professional contestant.

Edit: According to a fairly recent interview, the writers actually planned on Ash winning the whole league (Alain wasn't originally planned to join the tournament which was clearly evidence by seemingly only having a single Metang besides his iconic Charzard prior to his league match with Ash ) which also suppose to be a slam-dunk based on the anime literally glossing over and skipping most of his fights with ease. However the editors told both the animators and the writers that Ash has to lose the league every single time , yes, even though he could lose in the champion league as states in Sinnoh, the editor told them very clearly that he will never even make it to the champion league. There's countless youtube videos uploaded about how strict and blunt the editors of the animation studio were during the Kalos arc. Heck, both the animators and the writers have now even stated that they "are no longer rooting for Ash" despite backing him since his creation in the Kanto arc.

^Sum up: The editors have finally admitted at the end of the Kalos arc that Ash will literally never win a league (the Orange Island arc is technically filler according to the studio and was more of a singular match than a real tournament anyway). Aka, even though he was usually doing slightly better with each league, they already implied that he won't even reach the top 2 this gen in order to lose "momentum" (they already did this for the first time in the Unova arc.)

Tldr:Naruto syndrome, where the victor is borderline predetermined based on your upbringing. Dawn makes it to the finals on her first try, May couldn't even reach top 4 in Hoenn...

Can you show me the source to this?
Corrin was a mistake.
Not changing sig until Ash wins a Pokemon league, becomes a Pokemon Master and/or ends his journey. Started 12/14/2016

User Info: _Dog

_Dog
4 months ago#93
@Siriocaz posted...
So it was "right" at a given point? Wow.

What are you talking about?

@OmigawdMatt posted...
No, but I check Serebii once every like 2 months to see Ash's Pokemon roster updated, if there is any...

Lemme spoil it to you: Ash loses all of his Pokémon (including Poipole) but Pikachu by the end of the saga. No point in checking what he has at all!

@AuraChannelerCh posted...
I only watch it...to learn about making horrible writing mistakes in fiction which it does a lot.

Main one is the main character losing the big fights and just shrugging them off. Ha ha.

If you had more integrity you'd stop wasting your time with such a shoddy piece of trash. I suggest you do that.

@Bahamut_10th posted...
I watched it in japanese, without the idiotic script changes that completely change character personalities or the stupid cheesy synthetic american soundtrack added for no reason.
But I fell behind since the beginning of Sun & Moon. Not sure how I feel about the new format but the animation is superb.
The battles and pokemon behavior are a lot more interesting in the anime IMO. Plus the series do a good job at making the League seem like a huge deal while in the games they’re this stupid place where any half assed idiot can go and challenge the elite four and thus become the champion, instead of a proper national championship with real trainers.

Baloney. The lore of the games have you, after getting eight badges, go through an intense area called Victory Road, where there are many dangerous Pokémon and obstacles, with trainers all scrambling to reach the Elite Four. That sure sounds tougher than a mere tournament.

Bahamut_10th posted...
@Xeogran posted...
@Bahamut_10th posted...

There are almost no battles in Sun & Moon and every Ultra Beast is being dealt with in a peaceful manner, which dissapoints me tbh.

Yeah it’s the extreme opposite to XY which is why I’ve been on the fence about catching up.

May as well spoil it to both of you too: none of what you guys talk about are going to matter diddly-squat when the saga ends, because Ash will lose whatever Pokémon he has barring Pikachu and everyone else will be tossed out of the anime, making the episodes you're watching 100% filler.

You best use your time on something else.
Corrin was a mistake.
Not changing sig until Ash wins a Pokemon league, becomes a Pokemon Master and/or ends his journey. Started 12/14/2016

User Info: AuraChannelerCh

AuraChannelerCh
4 months ago#94
@_Dog

There is so much to learn, little internet doggie.
NNID: AuraGuyChris
AuraChannelerChris' Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AuraChannelerChris

User Info: OmigawdMatt

OmigawdMatt
4 months ago#95
_Dog posted...

@OmigawdMatt posted...
No, but I check Serebii once every like 2 months to see Ash's Pokemon roster updated, if there is any...

Lemme spoil it to you: Ash loses all of his Pokémon (including Poipole) but Pikachu by the end of the saga. No point in checking what he has at all!

I'm laughing because this is true.
PSN: OmigawdMatt

User Info: AllstarJason

AllstarJason
4 months ago#96
I watched up to early in Johto as a kid and then lost interest in it. Way too much filler to really justify continuing it but I do get nostalgic and rewatch Kanto every handful of years.
~Vancouver Canucks~

User Info: Skyminxyz

Skyminxyz
4 months ago#97
_Dog posted...
@Skyminxyz posted...
LuxHeart posted...
I dropped out with Diamond and Pearl.

Even his friends fail, and they do better when they leave his sorry ass behind. I'm sorry, but I wanted them to replace Ash and be true to the manga and video games.

Except May surprisingly enough who somehow managed to get wrecked by Dawn despite Dawn literally only winning one contest until that point. Really makes you think just how little May has progressed considering she even dressed up and was called the contest "princess" yet lost to a beginner.

Actually, makes one question what message that was suppose to portray. May was brought up and expected to be a professional trainer one day by her father, yet argued (when they returned to the town) that with enough effort, she could become a professional contestant, even without anyone in her family having prior experience. Yet, even after a "year" (since time stops in Pokémon apparently) of going through two regions, she loses to the prodigy child who's mother is also a professional contestant.

Edit: According to a fairly recent interview, the writers actually planned on Ash winning the whole league (Alain wasn't originally planned to join the tournament which was clearly evidence by seemingly only having a single Metang besides his iconic Charzard prior to his league match with Ash ). However the editors told both the animators and the writers that Ash has to lose the league every single time , yes, even though he could lose in the champion league as states in Sinnoh, the editor told them very clearly that he will never even make it to the champion league. There's countless youtube videos uploaded about how strict and blunt the editors of the animation studio were during the Kalos arc. Heck, both the animators and the writers have now even stated that they "are no longer rooting for Ash" despite backing him since his creation in the Kanto arc.

^Sum up: The editors have finally admitted at the end of the Kalos arc that Ash will literally never win a league (the Orange Island arc is technically filler according to the studio and was more of a singular match than a real tournament anyway). Aka, even though he was usually doing slightly better with each league, they already implied that he won't even reach the top 2 this gen in order to lose "momentum" (they already did this for the first time in the Unova arc.)

Tldr:Naruto syndrome, where the victor is borderline predetermined based on your upbringing. Dawn makes it to the finals on her first try, May couldn't even reach top 4 in Hoenn...

Can you show me the source to this?

Sure, once I find the you-tube video that provided the source I'll post it here.

Edit: Although this isn't the recent interview that I'm still looking for, even this older one back near the end of Sinnoh confirmed that he'll never win the official pokemon leagues. Below is the interview with pokecommunity member & Mr.Hidaka. Said interview also confirms the music rights issue isn't due to Pokemon studio themselves but actually JASRAC.

"Now an overall question about the show. Will Ash ever become a Pokemon Master? He laughed and fell back on the couch. He blatantly said that when Ash becomes a Pokemon Master, the show will end. It will be the last episode. Going back to my first interview, I did not mention that he stated the show was cyclical because it could be the audience is constantly replaced (since children get older and leave, and new children come in), so they are allowed to get away with having the same repetitive goal."

http://www.pokebeach.com/2008/07/second-pokemon-interview-with-masamitsu-hidaka-many-interesting-points
"Stating your opinion on GameFaqs is a declaration of war" - anonymous.
FC:3093-7603-4670

Bahamut_10th
4 months ago#98
The problem people don't understand is "Pokemon Master" was really only a vague goal given that is factually impossible to achieve.
For the GAMES if you beat the Champion you get NPCs telling you "grats you're master now". In the anime? We know for a fact being a Champion doesn't equate to being "Pokemon Master". No pokemon master ever existed. And there is even a league exclusive for Champions.
It's not a tangible goal. They probably had a different intention during the original series, but as they continued with more series they just left it at that, which just makes it very odd when the main character goes "I want to be a Pokemon Master" and people take him seriously. It's really the equivalent of "I'm gonna be the ultimate life form!" "Uh, sure kid".

The bottom line is making Satoshi/Ash win a league wouldn't really imply he was done with his journey at all as that doesn't equate to achieving his final goal. The producer has no idea what he's talking about, or maybe he thinks the writers are incapable of making the series go on without hard nerfing him.

_Dog posted...
@Siriocaz posted...
Bahamut_10th posted...
@Xeogran posted...
@Bahamut_10th posted...

May as well spoil it to both of you too: none of what you guys talk about are going to matter diddly-squat when the saga ends, because Ash will lose whatever Pokémon he has barring Pikachu and everyone else will be tossed out of the anime, making the episodes you're watching 100% filler.

You best use your time on something else.

Here is the thing, unlike the game-only nerds we don't watch expecting otherwise. I watch it because I enjoy the battles and the character of the pokemon. No "muuuuuh he never ages muuuuh never wins the league".
You only know the distorted american version, which treats each series as "seasons", which is plain moronic. The continuity is very loose because the original anime is split into MULTIPLE SERIES, meant to be easy to watch from their respective start.

Why are you playing [insert Pokemon game] when in the next one you will be back to square one? You best use your time on something else.

Also what the game lore says is irrelevant. The actual experience of the "league" in the game is you go through a generic cave full of fodder morons with 1~2 weak pokemon who have no idea what they're doing. The league proper is nothing but the Elite Four standing around to be beaten and the Champion.
It's nowhere near close to what a proper "League" is meant to be by definition. If the anime tried to be exactly like that all you'd see would be Ash deliver the badges, go straight to Bruno or something and if he won he'd face Gary in the end.
The actual way the anime does it? Upwards of 64+ trainers in a proper tourney, and only AFTER winning you're eligible to challenge the Elite Four. And even after that there is the so called "Champion League" which consists of only Champions. Which doesn't exist in the games.

So yeah, doesn't matter how much you hate the anime's childishness and disregard for continuity. It does a far better job at making being a "pokemon master" or even a champion a big deal.

Bahamut_10th
4 months ago#99
AllstarJason posted...
I watched up to early in Johto as a kid and then lost interest in it. Way too much filler to really justify continuing it but I do get nostalgic and rewatch Kanto every handful of years.

Johto is the worst series of the anime. It had a humongous percentage of episodes that added absolutely nothing in terms of development and weren't funny in any way. It went ridiculously overboard with the frequency of rehashed TR-as-main-villains episodes in a row compared to any of the older or newer series. It made me quit the anime too, although the horrible american localization didn't help. (I'm not american)
It wasn't until I started looking up more about the changes and what the pace was AFTER Johto that I gave it a second shot.

Getting rid of Misty was one of the best things they did. She's annoying no matter what version.

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
4 months ago#100
I did when I was like 13. I can't believe it's been on for 20 years now.

I think I watched the first 3 seasons or so. I remember Brock going to stay with Professor Ivy and being traumatized by it.
https://gababoutgames.blogspot.com/ - GAB About Games, a retro console rating project, SNES / PS1 on now
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Do you watch the Pokemon anime?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived