Do you watch the Pokemon anime?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Do you watch the Pokemon anime?

User Info: MDS2005

MDS2005
4 months ago#111
Baha05 posted...
Esplain

It kind of already has in this topic already.

For one, I remember that they hyped up the Super Ultra Orange Water Rasenshuriken Of Pointless Powerlessness as if it actually was gonna do something during the On The Next Episode preview thing.

And the JPN name of the episode outright stated Ash won.
...or whatever.

User Info: Baha05

Baha05
4 months ago#112
MDS2005 posted...
Baha05 posted...
Esplain

It kind of already has in this topic already.

For one, I remember that they hyped up the Super Ultra Orange Water Rasenshuriken Of Pointless Powerlessness as if it actually was gonna do something during the On The Next Episode preview thing.

And the JPN name of the episode outright stated Ash won.

Really now?
"He may be Mr. Clean, but his soul will always be dirty!"

User Info: Kung_fu92

Kung_fu92
4 months ago#113
I stopped watching around the end of Johto/beginning of the RSE one.

I did watch the one with Red and Blue though that came out a few years back and I Choose You.
FC: 1650-5309-0485 IGN: Vulcan

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
3 months ago#114
@_Dog posted...
I am just going to share this:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/217-pokemon/75265633

It's a long read, but it explains where the Pokémon anime went all wrong, and why I vehemently abhor the anime with all of my passion.

Thanks for sharing, this was a good read. You make some excellent observations along with an exhaustive overview of this series, this gave me a much better perspective on the show's problems.

As I observed fans of the anime react to its developments I figured very early that the writers never wanted Ash to win for some reason, but I never realized just how sadistically they stomp on all the hopes and dreams he and the viewers have. I imagined his losses to be much less soul crushing than that. Hell, his loses were kind of reasonable until Tobias and Alain, but these two are just BS incarnate. It really has become a zombie series. Maybe it always was, and we can only see it now that it has rotted bad enough over these long 20 years and lost its inoffensive sheen of novelty. It doesn't help that the anime staff is so secretive and faceless. You pretty much never see any interviews with producers, writers, directors, anyone. Just what kind of thought process goes through these people to make them think this is a good direction? They never reveal their feelings to the audience and I think this speaks volumes about the soulless treatment of the series.
Everything will be fire.

User Info: Seacliff217

Seacliff217
3 months ago#115
Never grew up with the Anime. Only series I saw the entirety of is XY/Z.
I'm not even that mad Ash lost. I was just there for the fight scenes, which were surprisingly pretty good.

I stayed for about 20 episodes of Sun/Moon. I understand what they are going for, and I appreciate it for doing something different, but meh...

User Info: Commander_Greil

Commander_Greil
3 months ago#116
I haven't in a while but Pokemon Sun & Moon appeared on Netflix and I think I'm going to start watching that once I finish the last 15 episodes of Dragon Ball Super.
3DS FC: 4382-2103-1610

User Info: AkaneJones

AkaneJones
3 months ago#117
Commander_Greil posted...
I haven't in a while but Pokemon Sun & Moon appeared on Netflix and I think I'm going to start watching that once I finish the last 15 episodes of Dragon Ball Super.

Be aware if you are looking for battle episodes it won't do anything. The anime clearly dropped them because the game only had 4 trials, so outside the Rockruff/Lycanrok episodes it hardly even counts. However if you want an actual episode that confirms pokemon die you got that.

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
3 months ago#118
xF0x posted...
@_Dog posted...

It's a long read, but it explains where the Pokémon anime went all wrong, and why I vehemently abhor the anime with all of my passion.

Thanks for sharing, this was a good read. You make some excellent observations along with an exhaustive overview of this series, this gave me a much better perspective on the show's problems.

As I observed fans of the anime react to its developments I figured very early that the writers never wanted Ash to win for some reason, but I never realized just how sadistically they stomp on all the hopes and dreams he and the viewers have. I imagined his losses to be much less soul crushing than that. Hell, his loses were kind of reasonable until Tobias and Alain, but these two are just BS incarnate. It really has become a zombie series. Maybe it always was, and we can only see it now that it has rotted bad enough over these long 20 years and lost its inoffensive sheen of novelty. It doesn't help that the anime staff is so secretive and faceless. You pretty much never see any interviews with producers, writers, directors, anyone. Just what kind of thought process goes through these people to make them think this is a good direction? They never reveal their feelings to the audience and I think this speaks volumes about the soulless treatment of the series.

I don't mind tobias loss. He SHOULD lose to an OP trainer. I do dislike the Alain loss. Mainly because he doesn't LEARN anything from it. Just smiles and will try harder next time.

I don't even mind Ash losing here if there is a good story. I prefer character development. Even if he became reflective and pondered if he should give his dream up. If he became really angry, or even gave being a Pokemon trainer up temporarily.

The problem for me is this reset. He can't just keep losing forever just to collect another 8 badges and new pokemon. What's the point? It'll become the worst kind of long running show, something that exists just to exist, no real end in sight. Ratings will die down and finally he'll get the win with that same smile on his face, nothing learned except oh i won this time yippee, goal accomplished. He might have a tear on his eyes or a flashback and long time fans will forgive everything.

Edit - yes it was a good read from that dog guy
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
3 months ago#119
Sega9599 posted...
xF0x posted...
_Dog posted...

I don't mind tobias loss. He SHOULD lose to an OP trainer. I do dislike the Alain loss. Mainly because he doesn't LEARN anything from it. Just smiles and will try harder next time.

I don't even mind Ash losing here if there is a good story. I prefer character development. Even if he became reflective and pondered if he should give his dream up. If he became really angry, or even gave being a Pokemon trainer up temporarily.

The problem for me is this reset. He can't just keep losing forever just to collect another 8 badges and new pokemon. What's the point? It'll become the worst kind of long running show, something that exists just to exist, no real end in sight. Ratings will die down and finally he'll get the win with that same smile on his face, nothing learned except oh i won this time yippee, goal accomplished. He might have a tear on his eyes or a flashback and long time fans will forgive everything.

Edit - yes it was a good read from that dog guy

Tobias was horrible for three reasons:

1) He was allowed to enter the league with legendaries, why is this suddenly a thing 4 leagues in? From what I've heard people say there wasn't a single legend in these tournaments up until that point, and Tobias even has at least two of them. That's way too late to introduce something gamechanging like that and the show does it with the grace of a bull in a China shop

2) There wasn't an explanation for how he obtained them, he came out of nowhere already having the very legends that Ash has previously encountered in the movies. No backstory or anything, he just has them because reasons. The writers give you nothing to accept the fact that he has them, even just having him briefly mention that his father passed these Pokémon to him or something like that would have been better than absolutely nothing.

3) It was the fourth league that Ash attempted to conquer, so by the fourth time the losing streak had started getting heavy. If Tobias turned up much earlier in the second or even third leagues (with different legendaries of course) the defeat from him wouldn't seem as bad as on the fourth.

Indeed, Tobias' fight itself was handled much better than Alain's fight, but the circumstances surrounding it are still ridiculous.
Everything will be fire.

User Info: Cyber Akuma Zero

Cyber Akuma Zero
3 months ago#120
Back during Gen 1, if I were to even watch it again it would likely be subtitled versions so it wouldn't be censored or have missing arcs/episodes, but those tend to use Japanese names for Pokemon and that would just be confusing for me.
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Do you watch the Pokemon anime?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived