Since when are Nindie titles not considered games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Since when are Nindie titles not considered games?

User Info: spewman

spewman
2 months ago#11
xF0x posted...
PS2 only looks bad now because of the low resolution and simple shaders, most of the things that make gen 6 games look dated wouldn't be a problem now that HD resolutions are default and good quality rendering software is accessible.

In that case I find this concept somewhat interesting.

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
2 months ago#12
Foril89 posted...
I forgot that graphics is what makes or breaks a game. Look at Star Wars Battlefront 2, best graphics out there and beloved by fans the world over. How about Evolve? The graphics of that game is so good that even to this day it is considered a HUGE hit. Not like Minecraft, man that game could have stood a chance if only it had a little better graphics, what a shame.

Some genres aren't even possible without a 3rd plane, so yes graphics matter for gameplay. Without 3D Minecraft would be just Terraria. Face it, retro style has exhausted just about every worthwhile innovation at this point. There are quite a few 3D indies but it feels that they aren't on par with the 3D games of early 00s. While many of the 2D indies are good they oversaturate the market.
Everything will be fire.

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
2 months ago#13
Wii U and VITA had major indie support, and were the worst selling systems in recent memory, which probably doesn't help their reputation

whereas PS3 and XBox 360, two very high selling consoles, have gotten tons of western support from EA and Ubisoft

If you enjoy the quality of games, you probably prefer indies, but if you want a console to be successful, you probably value AAA games more
Retail PS4, VITA, Wii U, 3DS and Switch games (2013-2018):
https://i.imgur.com/vPM5YTU.jpg https://i.imgur.com/Lhh37vL.jpg https://i.imgur.com/QIzEm7d.jpg

User Info: Foril89

Foril89
2 months ago#14
DuranmanX4 posted...
Wii U and VITA had major indie support, and were the worst selling systems in recent memory, which probably doesn't help their reputation

whereas PS3 and XBox 360, two very high selling consoles, have gotten tons of western support from EA and Ubisoft

If you enjoy the quality of games, you probably prefer indies, but if you want a console to be successful, you probably value AAA games more

I am not saying that 3rd party support is bad at all. As terrible as some of their business practices are they are still needed. What I am saying is that indies add variety and to dismiss them completely just because their games are not dazling with the Unreal Engine does make the a bad thing nor should they be ignored. Variety is a good thing. Just because there are thousands who does not like Celeste does not mean we can ignore the thousands that do. I do not like Celeste but I love Farmville which is my whole point. Indie games give a huge variety that in tern gives options. 3rd party support is going well but those games take longer to develop or port.

With the variety that indie titles give it is worth acknowledging that they play a huge role on a console. Wii U and Vita did not fail because of indie titles. If your really want I can give the whole history of why those consoles failed, it has nothing to do with indie titles. Portal Knights have beautiful graphics but I am not crazy into that game. I can see the devs put an enormous amount of love and passion into it though but Farmville has a retro style to it but the game itself is really addictive once you get into it. Indie games give variety is my point and you cannot dismiss it just because they do not suite your specific preference.
I love my Vita and my 3DS. I wish everyone can just play nicely and stop with the console wars :P

User Info: Master_Materia

Master_Materia
2 months ago#15
I do not really even care. I just look at the price and what the game offers and couldnt care less about whether its indie or not. Plenty of big publisher $60 games are crap that should ve sold for $10. If a game has microtransactions then it may as well be a F2P mobile game. Heck Id rate mobile games above the microtransaction infested console games.

I have a few indie games and I like them. I think its cool when there is an indie game and they have an official discord chat where you csn even make suggestions to the dev team.

User Info: elephvant

elephvant
2 months ago#16
Foril89 posted...
Indie games give variety is my point and you cannot dismiss it just because they do not suite your specific preference.

Couldn't agree more. It's fine if people don't like particular indie games, but this idea - that seems unfortunately prevalent on these boards - that all indie games can be dismissed as 'trash' just comes across as, in all honestly, dumb. I'm not saying all indie games are works of genius, there are some objectively bad indie games out there, but they add a huge variety to a console's lineup and are frequently more thoughtful and original than many AAA games.

I guess it's a bit like movies: I love a good, big, flashy, trashy superhero movie in the cinema as much as the next guy, but to then dismiss all non multi-million dollar budget movies as trash would just be bizarre. We need a mix of games to suit a mix of gamers, and indie games cover a lot of ground - despite the false reputation they have for being nothing but 8-bit sidescrollers.
Currently Playing: Enter the Gungeon, Rocket League, Danmaku Unlimited 3

User Info: the_NGW

the_NGW
2 months ago#17
@NintendoGamer83 posted...
Just the usual anti Nintendo agenda

Dude, indies get trashed on every platform.
GP Vs 2016: Second Place Winner
PSN: ourtheNGW, Now Playing: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth +, Monster Hunter World, Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles 2

User Info: ikki5

ikki5
2 months ago#18
For the same reason people discredit them of every other platform. A lot of them are niche games or they really are shovelware.
All signatures are offensive!

User Info: neji721

neji721
2 months ago#19
I cant get behind the microtransaction hate. Its an option purchase, and mainly cosmetic. Games with these typically have free dlc and updates for games. Game developers need to be paid somehow.

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
2 months ago#20
neji721 posted...
I cant get behind the microtransaction hate. Its an option purchase, and mainly cosmetic. Games with these typically have free dlc and updates for games. Game developers need to be paid somehow.

It's only a bad thing until Nintendo does it, then it's encouraged
Retail PS4, VITA, Wii U, 3DS and Switch games (2013-2018):
https://i.imgur.com/vPM5YTU.jpg https://i.imgur.com/Lhh37vL.jpg https://i.imgur.com/QIzEm7d.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Since when are Nindie titles not considered games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived