• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Did you like the N64 and Gamecube?

User Info: slightlord

slightlord
10 months ago#51
bith_the_black posted...
ZGearS136 posted...
Everyone says Nintendo was at its best during the NES/SNES eras but I beg to disagree. I feel Nintendo's best games came during the N64 and Gamecube eras. Games like Mario 64, Ocarina of time, Goldeneye, Star Fox 64, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Sunshine, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, etc. are the pinnacle of Nintendo games imo.

Gamecube was great! Outside of the 64 games you mentioned, Conker, DK, and the wrestling ones the 64 was trash and the games have mostly aged horribly.

Uhm... Ogre Battle 64?
I lost my second born daughter. I hope my pain is one you never EVER experience. In loving memory of Iyolah Phaeri Hassan 3-31-2006

User Info: SilentDarkway

SilentDarkway
10 months ago#52
IMHO GameCube and N64 were the peaks of Nintendo gaming;

Super Mario 64, Turok, Banjo Kazooie, Viewtiful Joe, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Resident Evil 4, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Strikers Charged, Super Smash Bros 64, Super Smash Bros Melee, Metroid Prime 1-3 Trilogy, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Wind Waker, Mario Kart Double Dash, Luigi's Mansion, Twilight Princess, F-Zero GX, Tales of Symphonia, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, Baten Kaitos, Pikmin 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Sonic Adventures 2, Ikaruga, Timesplitters, Jet Set Radio, Mario Party 4, Prince of Persia, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Nothing has came close since besides Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Super Mario Odyssey.
--------------------------
Wake me up when you need me; in other words wake me up when a true successor to Super Mario World happens-----------

User Info: desert_santa

desert_santa
10 months ago#53
Mini N64 please
It's not about the hardware in your hands, it's the software in your hearts.

User Info: Tedmastr

Tedmastr
10 months ago#54
N64 and GameCube were my favorite Nintendo consoles, and I loved a lot of the games that came out during that era. That said, I’m sure nostalgia influences my thoughts (I started with the N64 as my first console).

I think we may see waves of nostalgic callbacks to earlier eras based on which generations are gaining purchasing power. Starting with NSMB, I felt like there was a wave of releases geared towards people who grew up on NES and SNES. With the Switch, though, I’ve noticed a number of games and decisions from Nintendo that seem to harken back to the N64 and GCN eras, and I’m curious to see if the trend continues.
3DS FC: 2466-2669-5197
IGN Teddy; TSV: 2442 (X); 0616 (Y); 3854 (OR); 1359 (AS)

User Info: phoenix9291

phoenix9291
10 months ago#55
GameCube was the last time I really I enjoyed a Nintendo console but I think Switch will end up being pretty good.
Not changing sig until Flyers win the cup

User Info: afr1234

afr1234
10 months ago#56
T_Info posted...
afr1234 posted...
T_Info posted...
Another interesting way to look at this is how the games for each Nintendo console have aged. To me, the top two in order are:

SNES
Gamecube

...and by a fair margin.

NES clearly has a few all-time classics, but also some really primitive titles that just don't play well today. N64 had a handful of extremely influential titles (Mario 64, Goldeneye, Ocarina), but they are surprisingly clunky to play today. Nothing against them...great for their time. They just don't have the timeless, still-plays-smooth-in-2018 quality of a Mario 3 or aLttP.

But go back and play Metroid Prime or Wind Waker, and you'll be surprised how good they look and play for games that came out in 2002. I'd argue the same for Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, and Melee.

Wii is kinda like the NES, where there are a few extraordinary titles (ex: Galaxy) and a lot of forgettable stuff.

Wind waker is incredibly archaic in design and gameplay.

Same for Metroid.

Disagree. Wind Waker was quietly the first Zelda since the original to emphasize "discovery and exploration" over "puzzle solving and dungeons." Admittedly, the execution was slightly flawed (sailing got boring). But the vision was certainly not archaic. It was a re-imagination of Zelda's roots across a vast sea. A reinvention of exploration.

Similarly, cel shading was actually pretty risky back in 2002. Now you've got mainstream games choosing for cartoony styles (see: Overwatch, Fortnite). In many ways, Wind Waker was a trail blazer here. (AKA the opposite of archaic).

I think you've got a tad more ground to stand on when you call Metroid "archaic." Certainly, the gameplay flow of "puzzle-platform room followed by another puzzle-platform room etc. etc." could be considered old-fashioned. But with the original Prime, the transition to 3D was huge. A truly excellent Metroidvania in 3D space.

I do think by Prime 3, that gameplay loop had gotten a bit overdone though.

Wind waker still uses z targeting and abuses padding for example. That is pretty archaic by modern standards.

Those games have not aged well, wind waker doesn't look awful, but that doesn't mean the game has not aged poorly in other regards. The physics, the interaction with environments, etc. All feels really archaic.

Exploration had been done before in other games, and better in other games of the era like gta III which was actually incredibly ground breaking, unlike wind waker. There is a reason as of why OoT is regarded as highly while wind waker is often labeled as meh.

User Info: RockrrGirrl19

RockrrGirrl19
10 months ago#57
I enjoyed my N64, but I liked GCN even more.

Both have many great games.

User Info: Kovatch

Kovatch
10 months ago#58
I like them all.)
PONG <3 ATARI Bally CAPCOM Chunsoft ENIX Gottlieb KONAMI LEVEL-5 MIDWAY namco Nintendo SEGA TAiTO Williams <DRAGON WARRIORS FOREVER> Love conquers all.

User Info: JP_13

JP_13
10 months ago#59
N64 had great adventure, FPS, platform and party games. But it lacked in sports, action, stealth, racing, horror, fighting and rpg games, specially vs the ps1 library. Some gems here and there but that's it.
Still, games like both Zeldas and Mario 64 will always among my favorite games ever.

The gamecube had many gems in many departments, and since my favorite genre, rpgs, came stronger this time around I ended up preferring this console over n64. And yeah like some mentionned, most N64 games aged horribly...
top 10: The Last of Us, FFVII, MGS3: Sub, Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, Super Street Fighter 2, Zelda: OoT, Super Mario RPG, FFX, Tekken Tag (PSN: SenorJepeto)

User Info: Sammycakes88

Sammycakes88
10 months ago#60
They each had some good games I liked but they were far inferior to ps1/ps2 imo. NES/SNES were their best.
PS4 Sammycake88/Xbox One Sammycakes88
Switch SW-0052-1626-4531
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Did you like the N64 and Gamecube?
  • Topic Archived