So Nintendo basically confirmed physical games will be incomplete down the road

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. So Nintendo basically confirmed physical games will be incomplete down the road

User Info: CrimsonGear80

CrimsonGear80
7 months ago#31
PSPs do not support WPA2 wi-fi encryption. Neither do the old DS', I believe.

If you have a PS3, you could always download PSP data to it and transfer to a PSP via wireless or USB connection.
"Why you eyin' my lemon drink?"
http://i.imgur.com/84F6B2e.gif

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
7 months ago#32
jjgator posted...
The Wii came out in 2006 I believe and they are taking the store down at the beginning of 2019. This basically confirms they are willing to stop people from downloading content they paid for down the road. What happens in twelve and a half years or so down the road for Switch? Will a bunch of physical Switch games be gimped? I'm not sure why Nintendo is doing this.

PlayStation Mobile and OG Xbox Live.

I think those speak for themselves.

As for this PSP discussion, I would like to confirm that as long as your PSP can get on your WiFi it can get on the store. It will throw an error message since the storefront itself is closed, but you can the navigate to your download list. You can also navigate the XMB to the far right to account settings and get to your download list there. The PS3 transfer is the best option, but you by no means need to have a PS3 to download your PSP games. At least not yet.
Steam/XBL/PSN/EU NNID - Nifterific | US NNID & Nintendo Account - n00bsaib0t
EU Nintendo Account - n00b_saib0t | SFV: Balrog | MKX: Sun God Kotal Kahn

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
7 months ago#33
jjgator posted...
TigerTycoon posted...
So...

PC Master Race?

I can still download all the content I've ever bought from Sony(Never owned any XBox systems, but I believe I heard the smaller games available for download on the original XBox can't be downloaded anymore.

Those smaller games were technically DLC for the Xbox Live Arcade disc. So technically all that was lost were online play, patches, and DLC. Technically. In practice, those are the only games lost but it’s still lost paid content.
Steam/XBL/PSN/EU NNID - Nifterific | US NNID & Nintendo Account - n00bsaib0t
EU Nintendo Account - n00b_saib0t | SFV: Balrog | MKX: Sun God Kotal Kahn

User Info: spewman

spewman
7 months ago#34
NintendoGamer83 posted...
Industry standard.

Since when does nintendo comply with industry standards?

All companies should release a way to download and backup purchased games, patches and dlc before their stores shut down.

User Info: Thorspider

Thorspider
7 months ago#35
jjgator posted...
NintendoGamer83 posted...
Industry standard.

Sony hasn't announced any plans to shut down the store on PS3. Also, physical games aren't incomplete for PS3 for the most part because of the Blu-ray format. I suppose patches wouldn't be able to be downloaded, but again Sony hasn't announced any plans to shut down the download servers. I think even PSP games can still be downloaded (although I think they removed the ability to back them up on PC which sucks).

The fact is no one knows what's going to happen down the road. Comparing incomplete switch games to ps3 isn't apples to apples considering even just general patches weren't as numerous last gen. Switch has some games that would be incomplete, but both of the other consoles have games with numerous patches that "fix" games and keep them running in an optimal/ near optimal fashion

But while nintendo could look at having an ongoing eshop that carries over different gens, the real issue is with the 3rd parties. It's not Nintendo's fault that capcom is deciding to put megaman legacy collection 1 on cart and 2 as download. This sort of thing has happened a lot with mobile games getting lost into time as new phones come out, and it's the fault of the dev. It's their responsibility to support the product over the long term. Most companies aren't focused about selling their product many years later

User Info: AlCalavicci

AlCalavicci
7 months ago#36
Is it conceivable for Nintendo to sell, or some intelligent users to compile, download/update/patch files for multiple games onto say a micro USB or SD card for future use? Would that be a ridiculously large amount of space needed? Whether it was for Wii, Wii U, Switch etc?
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111123223446/simpsons/images/9/99/K.png
I didn't even give you my coat!

User Info: Thorspider

Thorspider
7 months ago#37
AlCalavicci posted...
Is it conceivable for Nintendo to sell, or some intelligent users to compile, download/update/patch files for multiple games onto say a micro USB or SD card for future use? Would that be a ridiculously large amount of space needed? Whether it was for Wii, Wii U, Switch etc?

It for sure won't be nintendo lol. Nor the devs. They would rather just sell you a new port in the next system.

There will eventually be files to download online from the community, as there is for Wii games and every other nintendo system. You'll just need to inevitably use some kind of exploit to use them

User Info: Yuri_LowelI

Yuri_LowelI
7 months ago#38
DUBTuner posted...
Down the road? They're incomplete already. No physical game should require the owner internet access, period.

What if you need to download extra data becuase thefarts don’t have enough memory? Which there will be a big issue in the future when game sizes get bigger and the carts puts more expenses on developers. Publishers will just put it on the cheaper cart and rest online. But Nintendo are the only ones to blam
http://k09.kn3.net/1256263BF.gif

User Info: jjgator

jjgator
7 months ago#39
n00bsaib0t posted...
jjgator posted...
The Wii came out in 2006 I believe and they are taking the store down at the beginning of 2019. This basically confirms they are willing to stop people from downloading content they paid for down the road. What happens in twelve and a half years or so down the road for Switch? Will a bunch of physical Switch games be gimped? I'm not sure why Nintendo is doing this.

PlayStation Mobile and OG Xbox Live.

I think those speak for themselves.

As for this PSP discussion, I would like to confirm that as long as your PSP can get on your WiFi it can get on the store. It will throw an error message since the storefront itself is closed, but you can the navigate to your download list. You can also navigate the XMB to the far right to account settings and get to your download list there. The PS3 transfer is the best option, but you by no means need to have a PS3 to download your PSP games. At least not yet.

Ah, forgot about PS mobile. So all 3 companies have screwed over consumers with downloadable games. I know at first glance this may seem like a troll thread, but it actually does concern me. I want to get a switch somewhere down the road(probably whenever the inevitable second model comes out), but I'd like to know anything I paid for will still be available. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft should really think about this and try to keep their games that people purchased available for download indefinitely. We're in a different age and content that has to be downloaded is pretty inevitable. Us consumers have to hold them accountable as well, if we don't speak with our wallets they'll probably try to take advantage.
Four year old Dell laptop - i3 something or other - 6 GB RAM - Whatever the hell integrated video card it came with - 15 in SD screen

User Info: ecco6t9

ecco6t9
7 months ago#40
Ashes to ashes.
Time Magazine's Man Of The Year 2006.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. So Nintendo basically confirmed physical games will be incomplete down the road

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived