Switch's power will not effect third party support

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Switch's power will not effect third party support

User Info: DrGaster

DrGaster
4 months ago#71
Sent1nat0r posted...
There is absolutely no backing to the theory. Even Itagaki once admitted he could have released Ninja Gaiden on PS2 but he didn't want to as he felt it would lower the quality so he opted for PS3 instead.

So power is a factor because, surprise surprise, developers don't want to lower the quality of their games. And adding a lower quality port requires unnecessary effort for a console that is either outdated or should have caught up with modern technology.

As far as I can tell, the Switch is the first console in history to be weaker than previous gen systems. If developers want to port to the switch, the game has to be an old port like Skyrim or Dark Souls, a lower quality port which requires needless effort on the developer, or they have to make all versions of the game lower quality in order to easily port it to all systems.

Or maybe Nintendo can move past the stone age, make a console with modern technology that is, at least, in the same ballpark as their competitors and deliver us quality first party and third party games so we don't need to decide between the two. And yes, this will mean they'll have to lay off the gimmicky crap, but it's a small loss... :/
I pity anyone who first experienced Twilight Princess on the Wii

User Info: Every1hasAids

Every1hasAids
4 months ago#72
Sent1nat0r posted...
There is absolutely no backing to the theory. Even Itagaki once admitted he could have released Ninja Gaiden on PS2 but he didn't want to as he felt it would lower the quality so he opted for PS3 instead. If power was the issue Gamecube and XBox would have got many of the third party exclusives that PS2 got. PSP would have got the backing of third parties and not DS. Vita and Wii U would have shared multiplats with 360 and PS3 going into 2013 and 2014.

As a matter of fact nobody ever once highlighted they couldn't put games on Wii due to power. Even Street Fighter IV was stated to have been possible.

https://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iv/3030-20456/forums/street-fighter-4-wii-still-a-possibility-247838/

It was this interview where the issue was first brought up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUgEkEzFLmE

Another thing people have ignored is that Reggie also highlighted their online functionality as being an issue but nobody ever seems to have brought that up.

In Reggie's defence Geoff was being extremely unprofessional here. But he is PR. What do you expect him to say? He isn't going to admit they couldn't reach people due to their image. its a sign of weakness. Wii wasn't ignored because of power. People bought it but they weren't using it. That was Wii's issue.

Granted third parties throwing cash grabs didn't help but it ultimately wasn't used as a core gaming device. Switch is.

I would never believe that man.

But believe this: the Switch uses last years GPU/CPU the Nvidia shield used last year. It was caled Maxwell.
Nintendo ID: Ronery084

User Info: supertecmobowl

supertecmobowl
4 months ago#73
xF0x posted...
Wii's power didn't affect its third party support.. but the said support ended up being mostly shovelware.
Favorite NFL Teams: Cowboys/Rams.

User Info: scorpio man

scorpio man
4 months ago#74
action1981 posted...
it's been long established that the underpowered argument is a myth.

doom can run on the switch. the trolls said it wasnt possible.

Oh no! DOOM you say? Yeah that's a really intensive game with tons of stuff going on right? Same level as Monster Hunter World right?

Switch can hardly run WWE 2K18

Any fanboy who thinks the Switch can run any game simply with downgraded graphics is beyond delusional.

Stop trying to justify your port machine with blatant lies @action1981
I got 99 problems but a Switch aint one!

scorpio man
4 months ago#75
DoctorLl0rt posted...
_Dog posted...
@indominusrex posted...
It's already affecting it.

And please stop using Doom as an example. That game was kneecapped in order to run on Switch.

Doom is a great example because it disproves the idea that power is affecting the Switch's third-party support. So no, it isn't "already affecting it", and you moving goalposts doesn't change that.

Nintendo's lack of power and features have ALWAYS been the reason why they miss out on 3rd party games every gen. DOOM running at 576p 21fps (lower than low pc settings) docked is nothing to brag about when the competition is running the game at nearly double the resolution and framerate.The fact the switch does not come standard with an Ethernet port and basic online functions in 2018 also doesn't help.

Facts and logic don't work here bro, apparently we can simply downgrade games like Monster Hunter World to my virtual boy but Capcom is just lazy and does not like money so they choose not to.

Pro Switch trolls are the WORST

scorpio man
4 months ago#76
_Dog posted...
@indominusrex posted...
It's already affecting it.

And please stop using Doom as an example. That game was kneecapped in order to run on Switch.

Doom is a great example because it disproves the idea that power is affecting the Switch's third-party support. So no, it isn't "already affecting it", and you moving goalposts doesn't change that.

You are delusional, DOOM is hardly some crazy intensive game with tons of stuff going on, it's a basic shooter ffs @_Dog

Get back at me when the Switch gets the big boy games like Red Dead Redemption 2 or Monster Hunter World or runs a mmo like Final Fantasy 14.

You fanboy arguments are simply third party developers are lazy and don't like money, lol pathetic

User Info: DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM
4 months ago#77
scorpio man posted...

And what makes you think that's a problem with the Switch and not how that game was developed? Fact is, Doom does run on Switch, and well enough. You think WWE 2K18 is more complex and intensive than Doom?

scorpio man posted...
Get back at me when the Switch gets the big boy games like Red Dead Redemption 2 or Monster Hunter World or runs a mmo like Final Fantasy 14.

It's funny because that's the sort of attitude people had about Switch and Doom before it was revealed to actually be coming. Now you all are just moving goalposts.
"When you've got no argument, say something bad about <x>."
Perfectly explains why the Nintendo boards are toxic and are full of trolls/haters.

scorpio man
4 months ago#78
Sent1nat0r posted...
Billo posted...
I don’t think you understand how this works.
Sure any dev could release their game for any system no matter how weak it is. That’s not an issue.

Switch will be affected because PS4 is the dominant platform which most devs build their games for, so any platform which makes it hard to port a game made for the PS4 will be affected.

Just like PS2 was the dominant platform during it’s generation. It doesn’t have anything to do with power per se, it has to do with the cost and effort required to port from the platform that games are built for.

No. I understand how it works. PS4 is the dominant platform right now. Its quickly being overtaken in Japan and as result PS4 is sharing games with Switch because the consumers there have spoken.

So yes I understand perfectly how it works. Companies go where the money goes. The reason there hasn't currently been a significant shift from bigger AAA companies is because its unclear how many people want AAA games on a handheld.

Oh really so how does that explain years of Monster Hunter or other third party games on previous Nintendo consoles?

Whoops, there goes your weak narrative @Sent1nat0r

Keep trying!
(message deleted)

scorpio man
4 months ago#80
DiscostewSM posted...
scorpio man posted...

And what makes you think that's a problem with the Switch and not how that game was developed? Fact is, Doom does run on Switch, and well enough. You think WWE 2K18 is more complex and intensive than Doom?

scorpio man posted...

It's funny because that's the sort of attitude people had about Switch and Doom before it was revealed to actually be coming. Now you all are just moving goalposts.

Really? DOOM sure does run good severely neutered and running in what 580p?@DiscostewSM

Where are all these other huge games then? Really every other developer just lazy or is it DOOM is a simple shooter that looked pretty and does not have a lot going on behind scenes.

PS3 ran Final Fantasy 14, why not Switch?
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Switch's power will not effect third party support

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived