• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Switch's power will not effect third party support

User Info: indominusrex

indominusrex
9 months ago#141
tbc_addict posted...
3rd party support isn't crucial or even relevant for success of various Nintendo platforms, the best selling western 3rd party game on 3DS isn't even in Top20 and perhaps not even in Top50 yet they sold 50M units outside of Japan.
The most successful 3rd party franchise on Nintendo platforms is probably Just Dance(November 2009), back then Wii was smash hit with LTD sales around 70M.
There isn't any meaningful correlation between 3rd party support and success of Nintendo platforms.

I agree with this here.

Nintendo has always and will always coast along on its first party games. Mario, Zelda and Pokemon will keep them afloat for a good long time.

Their third party support has never been good, expecting it to change now is kinda dumb.
*redacted*

User Info: tbc_addict

tbc_addict
9 months ago#142
indominusrex posted...
tbc_addict posted...
3rd party support isn't crucial or even relevant for success of various Nintendo platforms, the best selling western 3rd party game on 3DS isn't even in Top20 and perhaps not even in Top50 yet they sold 50M units outside of Japan.
The most successful 3rd party franchise on Nintendo platforms is probably Just Dance(November 2009), back then Wii was smash hit with LTD sales around 70M.
There isn't any meaningful correlation between 3rd party support and success of Nintendo platforms.

I agree with this here.

Nintendo has always and will always coast along on its first party games. Mario, Zelda and Pokemon will keep them afloat for a good long time.

Their third party support has never been good, expecting it to change now is kinda dumb.

Their biggest problem is lack of developers especially outside of Japan and this leads to lack of certain genres (realistic sports, car simulations, FPS and WRPG) and constant and recurring droughts, this is sad legacy of Satoru Iwata and his unwillingness to fund large scale expansion with cash generated by DS/Wii.

User Info: _Dog

_Dog
9 months ago#143
DrGaster posted...
_Dog posted...
The mini-discs weren't even the problem. The power of the GameCube allowed it to have the capacity to run just about anything the PS2 could. The only possible issue that the mini-discs could've provided was storage space, which at worst, required a game to be split into multiple discs, which proved to be absolutely no problem for the PS1, a console that sold massively well.

There is no lying whatsoever: Nintendo tried to make a powerful system and it failed. No wonder they went elsewhere since.

And...my post blew over your head. What part was too complex for you to understand? Again, it's not power, it's uniformity. If one gaming system is similar to another gaming system a game is being made on, it's easy to port. If it's not similar, it's difficult to port. Power is only one part of that.

The Nintendo 64 used cartridges, not discs. The Gamecube used the mini-discs. To simplify this without going into more complex tech talk, the cartridges/mini-discs were different from the normal discs and trying to port games to them was more difficult than it would be if they used the same medium.

But wasn't our discussion about power? Your post seemed to be about that, complaining that Nintendo isn't making a powerful console like the other two, and yet now what you're stating are non-power reasons the GameCube, Nintendo's attempt at doing that, didn't take off. You're moving goalposts. It still doesn't change the fact that Nintendo tried to make a powerful console only to see it fail.

Maybe you think the lack of "uniformity" is what killed the GameCube, but if that was the issue, why did the original Xbox, which practically did everything the PS2 did, also fail? Why didn't that system get all the third-party support the PS2 had, despite having "uniformity" and at the same time being more powerful? Why did that system, like the GameCube, also get steamrolled in sales? You cannot use the lack of "uniformity" to explain that.

I stand by my point: Nintendo tried to make a strong console, and it failed. No wonder they went elsewhere. It seems to have paid off very well.

@CLupula posted...
Really? You're...I am almost speechless at how dumb this argument is. The PS1 is a generation behind the PS2. You don't go backwards. Why would anyone ever expect devs to be happy with going backwards? Oh wait, because you're Nintendo fans and everything you do is backwards. The Gamecube was kneecapped by the stupid decision to go with mini-discs. No question about it.

The mini-discs had much more capacity than a CD and the Dreamcast's GD did, that's not exactly something "backwards", and I don't believe anyone at the time thought that way. Your uncalled for remarks however are.
Corrin was a mistake.
Not changing sig until Ash wins a Pokemon league, becomes a Pokemon Master and/or ends his journey. Started 12/14/2016

User Info: supertecmobowl

supertecmobowl
9 months ago#144
indominusrex posted...
tbc_addict posted...

I agree with this here.

This.
Favorite NFL Teams: Cowboys/Rams.
(message deleted)

User Info: _Dog

_Dog
9 months ago#146
supertecmobowl posted...
indominusrex posted...
tbc_addict posted...

I agree with this here.

This.

The Switch does have those genres, here's one example of each:

FIFA 18
Gear.Club Unlimited
DOOM
Skyrim

Yep, we sure have "droughts". I guess using indominusrex's logic the Xbox One also has "droughts", due to their lack of JRPG's and mascot platformers!

Honestly, you guys shouldn't decide what counts as third-party support and what doesn't. Put those silly restrictions aside, and you'll find the Switch has great third-party support, and will even get better in the future.
Corrin was a mistake.
Not changing sig until Ash wins a Pokemon league, becomes a Pokemon Master and/or ends his journey. Started 12/14/2016

User Info: Solis

Solis
9 months ago#147
_Dog posted...
supertecmobowl posted...
indominusrex posted...
tbc_addict posted...

I agree with this here.

This.

FIFA 18
Gear.Club Unlimited
DOOM
Skyrim

Yep, we sure have "droughts". I guess using indominusrex's logic the Xbox One also has "droughts", due to their lack of JRPG's and mascot platformers!

Honestly, you guys shouldn't decide what counts as third-party support and what doesn't. Put those silly restrictions aside, and you'll find the Switch has great third-party support, and will even get better in the future.

4 games out of hundreds hardly proves anything about the Switch's power not affecting game ports. The Switch is missing out on many, many ports because of its lack of power. That's just an undeniable fact at this point. And claiming the Switch has "great" third party support is, well, simply wrong.
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review

User Info: TrashPandaJedi

TrashPandaJedi
9 months ago#148
Most 3rd party games just dont sell that well on Nintendo systems otherwise EA and Activision would be all over it. People make it sound like these companies have agenda to ruin Nintendo or something
http://i.imgur.com/mLhEeaZ.gifv
Death Road to Canada = 10/10

User Info: JasonWhitlock

JasonWhitlock
9 months ago#149
_Dog posted...
supertecmobowl posted...
indominusrex posted...
tbc_addict posted...

I agree with this here.

This.

FIFA 18
Gear.Club Unlimited
DOOM
Skyrim

What is wrong with you? Nintendo has and always will hang their hat on 1st party titles and not 3rd party. There is a reason why Nintendo systems are commonly known as complimentary consoles. People buy Nintendo consoles for the exclusives. They get the rest of their games from other consoles. It's what a lot of people do.

User Info: Neo1661

Neo1661
9 months ago#150
_Dog posted...
supertecmobowl posted...
indominusrex posted...
tbc_addict posted...

I agree with this here.

This.

FIFA 18
Gear.Club Unlimited
DOOM
Skyrim

Gear Club is a mobile port and rubbish one at that. So that's 3 games from third party out of how many? Tons.
https://goo.gl/vRAucu
http://i.imgur.com/51jBWDy.png
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Switch's power will not effect third party support
  • Topic Archived