Nintendo plans to make 25 million to 30 million Switch consoles next fiscal year

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo plans to make 25 million to 30 million Switch consoles next fiscal year

User Info: Ljynk84

Ljynk84
3 months ago#1
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendos-game-plan-to-level-up-switch-production-1510291065
The Kyoto-based company is sketching out a plan to make 25 million to 30 million units of the Switch in its next fiscal year, which begins April 2018, and has begun informing business partners about it, the people said. They said the plan is still in its early stages and Nintendo could aim higher depending on sales during this year’s holiday season.
The Switch went on sale globally on March 3, 2017. Between that date and Sept. 30, Nintendo said it sold 7.63 million units. The company said at its quarterly earnings announcement in October that it planned to sell an additional 9.1 million units by March 2018, meaning total sales by that date would reach nearly 17 million.
Some people in the industry say the Switch could surpass the original Wii, which set the record for Nintendo’s best-selling console with more than 101.6 million shipped. Nomura Securities analyst Junko Yamamura forecast cumulative sales of 115.8 million units by March 2023.

Nintendo's really confident if they're making those claims. If it hits those forecasts it will be close to outselling the SNES(49Million) by its 2nd year I highly doubt this. The only game system to ever sell 30 million in a single year was the DS. What do you think about this?
"People are like slinkies --- not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"

User Info: metroid02

metroid02
3 months ago#2
Planing to make. Not sell.

I dont think its unreasonable of them to expect the sales to be very good from here on. Maybe they just want to produce a ton of units to give off/reinforce the impression that the system is doing very well (which it undoubtedly is). Maybe they will scale back production a little in 2019 depending on how much of the 25-30mio stock is left?

I also doubt it will be able to reach SNES level sales by the end of the second year, but hitting roughly 30mio units doesnt sound too far off.
"Crysis missed the mark visually. I mean come on, there is an island full of Koreans, but NONE of them are playing Starcraft???" -themerchant8

User Info: ken95

ken95
3 months ago#3
Havent you seen there was already a thread about?

Ljynk84
3 months ago#4
ken95 posted...

I made this thread an hour before DuranTroll did
"People are like slinkies --- not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"

User Info: Bahamut_10th

Bahamut_10th
3 months ago#5
Don’t know why people insist on the pointless “SHIPPED NOT SOLD” bollocks when Nintendo as the producer of the devices can only attest to what is shipped.
If retailers and distributors are ordering shipments Nintendo is getting their money’s worth. It’s not like they get your money directly when you buy from retailers. So it essentially counts as a sale when they ship products.
"Deadpool is just as formulaic as the Avengers films it so relentlessly strives not to be."

User Info: ken95

ken95
3 months ago#6
Ljynk84 posted...
ken95 posted...

Oh ok I didn't know.

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
3 months ago#7
Ljynk84 posted...
ken95 posted...

the civility is palpable
Retail Wii U and 3DS games: https://sta.sh/02egamz324w0
Retail PS4 and VITA games: https://sta.sh/09xbomh9bc4

User Info: DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM
3 months ago#8
Ljynk84 posted...
ken95 posted...

Still wasn't the first though.
"When you've got no argument, say something bad about <x>."
Perfectly explains why the Nintendo boards are toxic and are full of trolls/haters.

Ljynk84
3 months ago#9
DuranmanX4 posted...
Ljynk84 posted...
ken95 posted...

the civility is palpable

Well, if it makes you feel better I didn't make this topic first Discostew did.

Ljynk84
3 months ago#10
DiscostewSM posted...
Ljynk84 posted...
ken95 posted...

Still wasn't the first though.

Sorry my bad i just saw your topic on the 2nd page.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo plans to make 25 million to 30 million Switch consoles next fiscal year

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived