You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo Switch FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions and general info)

User Info: Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan
1 year ago#31
Hi, I have a question regarding wifi while in docked mode.

I read that games run better with it off, BOTW especially, apparently something to do with the Switch constantly searching for wifi.

How do I disable it while docked? I've only found that I can delete the saved wifi network, no way to manually switch it off(Like you can in portable mode/like the 3DS lets you).

Also e'shop videos load terrible for me(Reminds me of the Nintendo Wii & the terrible Nintendo Channel app), is this normal?

Edit-Also the pictures of games on the e'shop pages take sometime to load, I've never had this with the Wii/3DS.

I've seen people have issue with wifi, were they only get 2 bars, I have the exact same issue, except when I download anything(Snipperclips demo, for example), it goes to full bars while downloading. Is my Switch faulty or can that be fixed with an update in the future? Should I send back my system?

For the record I have my Switch right next to the router, I also have other electronics away from the Switch(And turned off), so I doubt this is another device taking up wifi.
http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/images/WaluigiAndSushi.png
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: DUBTuner

DUBTuner
1 year ago#32
Shotgunryugan posted...
Hi, I have a question regarding wifi while in docked mode.

I read that games run better with it off, BOTW especially, apparently something to do with the Switch constantly searching for wifi.

How do I disable it while docked? I've only found that I can delete the saved wifi network, no way to manually switch it off(Like you can in portable mode/like the 3DS lets you).

Also e'shop videos load terrible for me(Reminds me of the Nintendo Wii & the terrible Nintendo Channel app), is this normal?

Edit-Also the pictures of games on the e'shop pages take sometime to load, I've never had this with the Wii/3DS.

I've seen people have issue with wifi, were they only get 2 bars, I have the exact same issue, except when I download anything(Snipperclips demo, for example), it goes to full bars while downloading. Is my Switch faulty or can that be fixed with an update in the future? Should I send back my system?

For the record I have my Switch right next to the router, I also have other electronics away from the Switch(And turned off), so I doubt this is another device taking up wifi.

Is your router set to 2.4 or 5.0GHZ? This seems like a case of the Switch not getting along with your router, which is happening to some people. Nintendo haven't addressed this as of yet.

I don't think you can turn wifi off in docked mode but erasing all connections should so it.
Fyi, several ppl during the Splatoon testfire had wifis that just stopped working. You would get an error code. Hard reset of the console fixed the issue.

User Info: kmelaurinegro

kmelaurinegro
1 year ago#34
Hi new owner here a couple of questions, I just left my switch on the dock downloading Botw, it's not connected to the TV bit I assume the download will continue anyway? Also I read you mentioned an Ethernet port, I couldn't find it nor in the switch or the dock

DUBTuner
1 year ago#35
kmelaurinegro posted...
Hi new owner here a couple of questions, I just left my switch on the dock downloading Botw, it's not connected to the TV bit I assume the download will continue anyway? Also I read you mentioned an Ethernet port, I couldn't find it nor in the switch or the dock

The download will continue, in fact you don't have to connect the Switch to a TV in any moment for it to be fully functional.

The Ethernet port requires an adapter which you can buy separately if you want to.

User Info: kmelaurinegro

kmelaurinegro
1 year ago#36
DUBTuner posted...
kmelaurinegro posted...

The download will continue, in fact you don't have to connect the Switch to a TV in any moment for it to be fully functional.

The Ethernet port requires an adapter which you can buy separately if you want to.

Oh ok I see thanks for your help, one more question the joycons will be charged as long as they are attached to the console while docked right? There's no additional step required

DUBTuner
1 year ago#37
kmelaurinegro posted...
Oh ok I see thanks for your help, one more question the joycons will be charged as long as they are attached to the console while docked right? There's no additional step required

No additional step required, they will charge as long as they are attached to the console docked. It can take up to 3 hours for a full charge on the Joy-Cons, and they will last up to 20 hours depending on usage.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: TheBest69

TheBest69
1 year ago#38
Can you play digitally bought games offline? Are there any drm restrictions in that regard? Usually I'm the digital gamer but seeing how pathetically low the memory of this console is... Just curiosity, I guess. I am really interested in the console but why is Nintendo always so backwards. Not even 40 GB memory? A single game these days can go up to 80 gigabytes.

I guess if I decide to buy a Switch I have to go back to physical.

Second question I had was, do you need a Nintendo account to play games? I know you obviously need one for digital purchases (duh), talking more about physical ones.

Is the game worth it if you not use it as portable console? I would never walk around in the city with a damn tablet, playing games. lol. You get robbed for a few cents already, so I rather keep my Switch at home.

DUBTuner
1 year ago#39
TheBest69 posted...
Can you play digitally bought games offline? Are there any drm restrictions in that regard? Usually I'm the digital gamer but seeing how pathetically low the memory of this console is... Just curiosity, I guess. I am really interested in the console but why is Nintendo always so backwards. Not even 40 GB memory? A single game these days can go up to 80 gigabytes.

I guess if I decide to buy a Switch I have to go back to physical.

Second question I had was, do you need a Nintendo account to play games? I know you obviously need one for digital purchases (duh), talking more about physical ones.

Is the game worth it if you not use it as portable console? I would never walk around in the city with a damn tablet, playing games. lol. You get robbed for a few cents already, so I rather keep my Switch at home.

First question: Yes, you can play the games offline. That could change once an online focused game comes out, but that would mean you couldn't access its functionalities, not a DRM issue. You can easily expand the memory space using microSDXC cards. They are a bit expensive, though. I always prefer physical, with the cards being so small (physically) and not requiring any installs, why not give them a try?

Second question: You need to be logged in to play a game and create save files. That requires a Nintendo account. You can create one in just a few minutes.

Third question: The Switch fully operates as either a home or portable console, the choice is up to you. I mainly play it as a home console and it works just fine. It's very worth it, especially if you, obviously, cares about Nintendo games.

User Info: TheBest69

TheBest69
1 year ago#40
Thank you.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo Switch FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions and general info)