You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo Switch FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions and general info)

User Info: DUBTuner

DUBTuner
1 year ago#1
INTRODUCTION

The Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's latest flagship console, released in March 3, 2017. It combines all the aspects of a home console and a portable, bringing innovative ways to play.
It was first unveiled in October 2016, when it had been known as the "Nintendo NX" until then.

How much does it cost?
The Nintendo Switch launched with a single SKU, costing US$299.99, with two different colors: grey and neon. Contents of the box:
- Nintendo Switch console
- Nintendo Switch dock
- Joy-Con controllers (left and right)
- Joy-Con straps (left and right)
- Joy-Con grip
- HDMI cable
- Nintendo Switch AC Adapter.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

- Size: 102mm x 239mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
- Weight: 297g / 398g with Joy-Con controllers attached
- Screen: Capacitive touch screen / 6.2 inch LCD / 1280x720 resolution
- CPU/GPU: NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
- System memory: 32GB (micro SDXC cards compatible up to 2TB)
- Communication: Wireless LAN 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant / Bluetooth 4.1
- Video output: 1920x1080, 60fps (maximum resolution)
- Audio output: supports linear PCM 5.1ch
- USB Terminal: USB-type C

THE CONSOLE

The Nintendo Switch offers 3 play modes:
- TV mode
- Handheld mode
- Tabletop mode

THE JOY-CON CONTROLLERS

Every Nintendo Switch comes with a pair of Joy-Con controllers. They can be utilized in a variety of different ways:
- Both Joy-Con attached to the grip will turn them into a standard controller
- Both Joy-Con can also be utilized without the grip, working like the Nunchuk and Wii Remote combo
- Each Joy-Con can be utilized individually as a single controller, which means you can give one to your friend and have a multiplayer experience (with compatible software)

Both Joy-Con feature accelerometer and gyroscope. The right Joy-Con features an IR motion camera and amiibo reader.

They also feature the new HD Rumble for a more precise force feedback.

BATTERY LIFE AND CHARGING

The Nintendo Switch battery life ranges from 3 to 6 hours, depending on usage and software. The console takes up to 3 hours for a full charge.
The Joy-Con controllers battery life can last up to 20 hours depending on usage. It takes up to 3.5 hours for a full charge.

How do I charge the Joy-Con controllers?
You can attach them to the Nintendo Switch while in the dock.

Is it possible to play and charge at the same time?
If your Joy-Con controllers are running out of battery life and you want to keep playing, you can attach them to the Nintendo Switch console and play in handheld mode. The system will charge them in this mode within a certain threshold.
Alternatively, you can purchase the Charging Grip, which works as a standard grip and charger.

Are there other controllers available?
The Pro Controller, sold separately (US$70), offers a more traditional experience. This controller also features HD Rumble, accelerometer and gyroscope, and an amiibo reader.

CAPTURE BUTTON
All of the Nintendo Switch controllers feature a Capture button, which can be pressed at any time to take a picture of the screen. This picture can later be shared on Facebook or Twitter. Nintendo already confirmed that a video feature will come in a future update.

DUBTuner
1 year ago#2
SOFTWARE

The Nintendo Switch utilizes proprietary cartridges. It is not backward compatible with any kind of software. The system is region-free, which means you can play physical media from any territory.

Launch games list:
1-2-Switch
Fast RMX (eShop)
I Am Setsuna
Just Dance 2017
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (eShop)
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (eShop)
Skylanders: Imaginators
Snipperclips: Cut it out, together! (eShop)
Super Bomberman R
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Available in Japan region on March 3:
Arcade Archives (eShop)
Blaster Master Zero (eShop)
Disgaea 5 Complete
Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2
New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers (eShop)
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence (eShop)
Othello (eShop)
Puyo Puyo Tetris (eShop)
Soldam: Blooming Declaration (eShop)
VOEZ (eShop)
Vroom in the Night Sky (eShop)

The Nintendo Switch features online multiplayer and a digital store for purchasing and downloading games and content, the Nintendo eShop. Some extra features will become available once Nintendo releases a smartphone app. Nintendo will also offer a premium service starting in Fall 2017.

PARENTAL CONTROLS
Nintendo launched a smartphone app that you can utilize with your Switch. There you can set controls on the system, see what games have been played and set play timer limits. You can also restrict access to games and more.

OTHER QUESTIONS

How do I set up the console from a first time use?
When you turn on your Nintendo Switch for the first time, a quick guide will help you through the first steps. It's really simple and takes only a few minutes.

Can I utilize my NNID from Wii U to login?
The Nintendo Switch utilizes a new Nintendo Account method. You can create a new account at my.nintendo.com

Does that mean that all of my purchases from my NNID are gone?
As of now, there is no way to transfer your previous purchases to the Nintendo Switch. You can, however, link your existing NNID to your Nintendo Account and utilize any eShop funds left in it.

Is it true the Switch uses friend codes?
Yes, but it is not the only way to add friends. You can also add anyone you've played with from a separate menu without the need for their codes.

Is there a daily log like the 3DS and Wii U?
As of now, no. You can, however, see for how long you've played a certain game through the Parental Controls app. Alternatively, after 10 days your playable software history in your settings menu will show a roughy number of hours you've played it (in intervals of 5 hours).

Does the Switch play any kind of physical media like Blu-rays or DVD?
There is no optical reader in the Nintendo Switch. The only playable media are Nintendo Switch game cards.

Are there streaming services on the Nintendo Switch?
While the console did not launch with any streaming services available, they are expected to come in future updates.

Does the Switch have an internet browser?
It does, but so far it's locked to certain tasks. A future update may or may not change this.

My wi-fi signal is too low or I can't connect at all. What do I do?
The Nintendo Switch seems to favor 5.0GHZ routers, set it up in such frequency if you can. If your signal is too low, try a wi-fi repeater. There's also an ethernet adapter if you prefer wired connection. Sadly, there's not much that can be done up to this point, other than wait and see if Nintendo can release an update to improve this.
(edited 1 year ago)

DUBTuner
1 year ago#3
Is it true I can access the eShop of other regions and purchase software not available in mine?
Yes, but in order to do that you'll need to create a Nintendo Account based on the country you wish to access the eShop. Access my.nintendo.com and under create account, just choose the preferred country. Keep in mind that you will still need currency from that region to be able to purchase. The purchased software will be available in your system for any account.

TECHNICAL REFERENCES TAKEN FROM nintendo.co.uk

---

I'm making this topic so basic questions can be answered quicker and without the need to create a new topic every time. Please feel free to give ideas or add something I left out.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: Sethera

Sethera
1 year ago#4
Sticky requested.
The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
Freedom of speech is words that they will bend.

User Info: HValle

HValle
1 year ago#5
I think you should mention the whole deal about changing regions in the account session. How you must have another country's account to access another eShop and stuff.

But anyway, a solid FAQ, TC!
My Castle: 16706-62020-97949-96569

DUBTuner
1 year ago#6
Sethera posted...
Sticky requested.

Thanks!

HValle posted...
I think you should mention the whole deal about changing regions in the account session. How you must have another country's account to access another eShop and stuff.

But anyway, a solid FAQ, TC!

Thanks! And good call, just added it.
Why is this supposed wifi issue there but not the joycon issue or dock scratching?! And lol the streaming service "faq" xD this'll get dated fast.
IGN: Azaezal
3DS FC: 4141-5773-3886

User Info: bluebomber2425

bluebomber2425
1 year ago#8
Should put (English Language Support) next to games that can be purchased from jpn and played in English.

DUBTuner
1 year ago#9
The following Japanese launch day games have English language support:

- Blaster Master Zero (eShop)*
- Disgaea 5 Complete (retail and digital)
- New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers (eShop)*
- Othello (eShop)
- VOEZ (eShop)*
- Vroom in the Night Sky (eShop)*

*These games were later added to the US eShop on March 9.

bluebomber2425 posted...
Should put (English Language Support) next to games that can be purchased from jpn and played in English.

Thanks. Once we have more details and more questions answered I'll request the mods to delete this topic and post an updated version.

User Info: Bella_Swan

Bella_Swan
1 year ago#10
Isn't battery life a minimum of 2.5 hours?DUBTuner posted...

BATTERY LIFE AND CHARGING

The Nintendo Switch battery life ranges from 3 to 6 hours, depending on usage and software. The console takes up to 3 hours for a full charge.
The Joy-Con controllers battery life can last up to 20 hours depending on usage. It takes up to 3.5 hours for a full charge.

I love Edward Cullen - Me
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Nintendo Switch FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions and general info)