It is pretty remarkable how powerful this handheld is.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. It is pretty remarkable how powerful this handheld is.

User Info: kissdadookie

kissdadookie
1 year ago#51
DiscostewSM posted...
kissdadookie posted...
ManBearTrump posted...
kissdadookie posted...
The Switch contains a Tegra X1. Underclocked a bit from the max specs of the Tegra X1
Source with proof?

The most credible source right now comes from Eurogamer. Inb4 claims that Eurogamer isn't legitimate or accurate and about how Mario Kart 8 doesn't regularly run at 59 fps (even though Eurogamer did a frame by frame analysis to figure out that it produces a duplicate frame after 64 frames, let's also not forget that Nintendo allows Eurogamer to bring their capture equipment to events).

It's one thing to have something in-hand to test. It's another when you don't have something in-hand to test. Recording footage to get a game's frame rate is a lot different from identifying hardware no one other than Nintendo and devs have access to atm.

You've missed the point, Eurogamer hasn't been wrong when they publish things which they state they got from trusted sources.

User Info: DaLagga

DaLagga
1 year ago#52
bbivens posted...
Of course the article you posted goes on to say that this is if the Switch uses the older Maxwell chip, which it isn't.

It is either using a customized Maxwell manufactured on a 16nm chip and overclocked, or it is a pascal that is underclocked. That is to say, significantly more powerful than the chip powering the Nvidia Shield tablet.

Based on the rumors and what we've seen, it's running on Maxwell and is clocked significantly lower than the Tegra X1 in the Nvidia Shield. I don't believe that anything has changed in the past month or so since DF's article and based on what we've seen from the games and their heavily dated visuals, it all falls in line with what has been suspected for quite a while.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

"As things stand, CPU clocks are halved compared to the standard Tegra X1, but it's the GPU aspect of the equation that will prove more controversial. Even while docked, Switch doesn't run at Tegra X1's full potential. Clock-speeds are locked here at 768MHz, considerably lower than the 1GHz found in Shield Android TV, but the big surprise from our perspective was the extent to which Nintendo has down-clocked the GPU to hit its thermal and battery life targets. That's not a typo: it really is 307.2MHz - meaning that in portable mode, Switch runs at exactly 40 per cent of the clock-speed of the fully docked device."

So even as a handheld, this thing is rather weak. Sure, the tech isn't a complete laughing stock like the DS or 3DS were when they launched, but it's still well behind the times. Based on what we saw from the PSP and Vita, if Sony were to release a new handheld this year it would be quite a bit faster than the Switch. But, of course, Sony has obviously realized that the handheld market is a lost cause and written it off entirely.

kissdadookie
1 year ago#53
ManBearTrump posted...
kissdadookie posted...
ManBearTrump posted...
kissdadookie posted...
The Switch contains a Tegra X1. Underclocked a bit from the max specs of the Tegra X1
Source with proof?

The most credible source right now comes from Eurogamer. Inb4 claims that Eurogamer isn't legitimate or accurate and about how Mario Kart 8 doesn't regularly run at 59 fps (even though Eurogamer did a frame by frame analysis to figure out that it produces a duplicate frame after 64 frames, let's also not forget that Nintendo allows Eurogamer to bring their capture equipment to events).

So no source with proof, got it.

Nintendo is never going to release the specs. Period. They've never released specs since the Wii. Everything we've known about their hardware has been from people hacking into the machines to figure these things out. Every single time people like yourself just use the excuse "no proof, got it" as if that changes the fact that the information from the "no proof, got it" sources ends up being far more credible than anything else out.

As for the Foxconn leak, the Foxconn leak specifically states that they were speculating on the processor (in other words, they didn't see the processor but just assumed that since Tegra X2 is the next generation of Tegra from nVidia that the Switch would be using it, as we can see from nVidia's last conference, they've repurposed the Tegra 2/mobile Pascal for industrial purposes, not consumer goods like mobile entertainment devices, this is a fact if you follow nVidia).

User Info: MushroomMuncher

MushroomMuncher
1 year ago#54
DaLagga posted...
This is like being proud of winning a race where you're the only one who bothered to compete. Nobody else wants a piece of the handheld market because they realize that it's a losing proposition. It would be kind of like opening a video store to corner the home video rental market. Sure, you might be able to dominate that space or what's left of it, but that's not saying much. For example, here's some interesting sales statistics that include handheld sales about halfway down the page.

https://www.finder.com.au/128-million-console-gamers-set-to-leave-the-market

Is that really a market you think Nintendo should be staking the future of their company on?

Wew, everyone must be making phone games now by that logic.

Piss off PCuck, you don't know anything outside your hugbox

kissdadookie posted...
Eurogamer hasn't been wrong when they publish things which they state they got from trusted sources

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-04-mother-3-will-finally-get-western-release-report

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-15-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-will-miss-nintendo-switch-launch
Surely you jestin'

DaLagga
1 year ago#55
MushroomMuncher posted...

Actually, when it comes to mobile development, they are.

https://abload.de/img/gdc_state_of_the_gameh7qns.png

As I said, the handheld industry is in ruins and it's only getting weaker every year. As such, developers are abandoning it like the plague and instead turning their attention to the PC and other mobile devices.

And as for your response to the other guy, kissdadookie was likely talking about Digital Foundry - not Eurogamer as a whole.

kissdadookie
1 year ago#56
DaLagga posted...
This is like being proud of winning a race where you're the only one who bothered to compete. Nobody else wants a piece of the handheld market because they realize that it's a losing proposition. It would be kind of like opening a video store to corner the home video rental market. Sure, you might be able to dominate that space or what's left of it, but that's not saying much. For example, here's some interesting sales statistics that include handheld sales about halfway down the page.

https://www.finder.com.au/128-million-console-gamers-set-to-leave-the-market

Is that really a market you think Nintendo should be staking the future of their company on?

kissdadookie posted...
Eurogamer hasn't been wrong when they publish things which they state they got from trusted sources

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-04-mother-3-will-finally-get-western-release-report

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-15-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-will-miss-nintendo-switch-launch

Perhaps I should clarify by saying Digital Foundry has never been wrong? I was obviously talking about hardware reporting, not things such as ship dates or game releases since those literally change at a moment's notice (thus in actuality, it's not even being wrong, it's likely the correct information at the time, ship dates and releases change ALL THE TIME).

By the way, there is actually a possibility for the Zelda game to miss the Switch launch in Europe (Eurogamer, it's a UK site, duh). This is likely due to not being able to meet deadlines for translations/localizations.

MushroomMuncher
1 year ago#57
kissdadookie posted...
I was obviously talking about hardware reporting, not things such as ship dates or game releases since those literally change at a moment's notice

It seems the "Th-things change!" excuse is always the go to one whenever one of these leakers/articles is wrong

DaLagga posted...

As I said, the handheld industry is in ruins and it's only getting weaker every year. As such, developers are abandoning it like the plague and instead turning their attention to the PC and other mobile devices.

And as for your response to the other guy, kissdadookie was likely talking about Digital Foundry - not Eurogamer as a whole.

You've already shown the console industry is also going down as well, so basically, it means nothing. Of course you'd probably want that TBH Red Dead Redemption never ever

Also
>GDC

Opinion Discarded
Surely you jestin'

DaLagga
1 year ago#58
kissdadookie posted...
I was obviously talking about hardware reporting, not things such as ship dates or game releases since those literally change at a moment's notice

It seems the "Th-things change!" excuse is always the go to one whenever one of these leakers/articles is wrong

What? No response to my point about the death of handheld gaming and developers themselves abandoning development on the platform?

MushroomMuncher
1 year ago#59
DaLagga posted...
kissdadookie posted...

What? No response to my point about the death of handheld gaming and developers themselves abandoning development on the platform?

Yeah, devs abandoning development on a 6+ year old systems, who'd a thunk it
Surely you jestin'

kissdadookie
1 year ago#60
kissdadookie posted...

DaLagga posted...

You've already shown the console industry is also going down as well, so basically, it means nothing. Of course you'd probably want that TBH Red Dead Redemption never ever

Also
>GDC

Opinion Discarded

Things like release date and releases in general always have the possibility of changing. It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

You know what is an excuse? Nintendo fanboys consistently claiming "not a legitimate source" every time anything that even remotely resembles being a criticism or negative about Nintendo only to them later on be proved that the "not a legitimate source" was correct and the fanboy delusion was incorrect.

I was on here hearing the same nonsense when I posted on the lacking hardware of the 3DS when the 3DS came out and I bought one (I bought several actually). I was objective and not a tech illiterate person like many Nintendo fan boys are. I was on here pointing out how the Wii U was PS360 level hardware and had to hear fanboys like yourself claim how I was wrong and I had no source, a year later (I bought the Wii U at the midnight launch at the Nintendo store btw, I actually had two Wii Us, one of which was the Windwaker bundle because I wanted the Zelda gamepad) what do we have here? Oh right, I WAS RIGHT.

So, it's up to you if you wish to continue on with your fanboy arguments only to be proven WRONG yet again a few months down the road and then have to try to ignore the fact that you were completely wrong or you man up, grow up, and be objective rather than delusional.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. It is pretty remarkable how powerful this handheld is.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived