Is BOTW the most ambitious and expensive title by Nintendo?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Is BOTW the most ambitious and expensive title by Nintendo?

User Info: El_Zaggy

El_Zaggy
1 year ago#11
I think you mean pretentious

dont misunderstand me. the game looks good for a zelda game. But its still just a zelda game. GTA will always be the betteraction open world game and witcher 3 will always be the best open world rpg

the worst thing of all is nintendo not recognizing zelda is an open world game and using their own term of 'open air' is making me say that its pretentious

at least xenoblades team arent as pretentious and XCX might be more ambitious than zelda

User Info: scoobydoobydont

scoobydoobydont
1 year ago#12
GILLKLACK posted...
scoobydoobydont posted...
No one here knows the budget, but IMO it doesn't seem any more ambitious than SM64 and TOoT were when they released. It might be their first proper modern openworld game, but they've had more than a decade of observing competitors to prepare them for it.

Just looking at gameplay and trailers, it seems much more ambitious than SM64 or TOoT.

For their time they both did very unique and ambitious stuff. BOTW isn't doing anything new or ambitious. =/
http://i.imgur.com/yfYG7oQ.jpg

User Info: GILLKLACK

GILLKLACK
1 year ago#13
XCX probably used as much resources as BOTW. I wish Nintendo didn't hoard all that type of information.
FC=3840-6176-0981, PSN= GILLKLACK, WIIU=flonomenal, Gtag= GILLKLACK

User Info: mike468

mike468
1 year ago#14
N_Guy_N posted...
900p is ambitious now?

An open world Zelda game that is 12x the size of Twilight princess. I'd consider that pretty ambitious.

User Info: GILLKLACK

GILLKLACK
1 year ago#15
GILLKLACK posted...
No one here knows the budget, but IMO it doesn't seem any more ambitious than SM64 and TOoT were when they released. It might be their first proper modern openworld game, but they've had more than a decade of observing competitors to prepare them for it.

Just looking at gameplay and trailers, it seems much more ambitious than SM64 or TOoT.

For their time they both did very unique and ambitious stuff. BOTW isn't doing anything new or ambitious. =/

I agree. BOTW is probably doing nothing that hasn't been done before, but I still think it's Nintendo most ambitious title. We will certainly know more in the coming months.
FC=3840-6176-0981, PSN= GILLKLACK, WIIU=flonomenal, Gtag= GILLKLACK

User Info: CallmeSoren

CallmeSoren
1 year ago#16
mike468 posted...
N_Guy_N posted...
900p is ambitious now?

An open world Zelda game that is 12x the size of Twilight princess. I'd consider that pretty ambitious.

Source on that?
A good indie title is a non-existent indie title!

User Info: DaLagga

DaLagga
1 year ago#17
mike468 posted...
N_Guy_N posted...
900p is ambitious now?

By 2001 standards perhaps. Watching Nintendo try to compete in 2017 where open world games are the norm is just sad though. Morrowind for example is 15 years old and based on what we've seen from BOTW, puts it to absolute shame in terms of overall complexity and scope.

User Info: theimpossible

theimpossible
1 year ago#18
mrhappyguy12345 posted...
N_Guy_N posted...
900p is ambitious now?

More ambitious than living your life as a message board troll ; )
3DS: 5429-7233-3136
WIIU: selfdestruct

User Info: Neospartan

Neospartan
1 year ago#19
Most ambitious to date, probably. Highest budget to date, most likely.

Ambitious and expensive relative to the era, now that's an interesting question.
I feel that diving head first into the unknown that was 3D at the time of SM64 and OoT was the most ambitious thing Nintendo has done. But then again, it was kinda by necessity.
I'm online, therefore I am.

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
1 year ago#20
If Game Freak counts as "by Nintendo" I'd say Pokémon XY's budget was a tad higher, provided the additional expenses for the Switch port of BoTW aren't taken into account. Roughly a thousand of highly detailed and well animated Pokémon models (720 + Megas & formes), about a hundred of different move animations, lots of intricate online features and modes, it even has voice acting (for one Pokémon) and more. ORAS and SM reused XY's assets to some extent, so they weren't as expensive to produce as the first big break of the series into full 3D with the most 3D models and mechanics that needed to be created from scratch.

Sure BoTW and its 100 Shrines are impressive, so are the dynamic physics of the world and whatnot, but the work on XY was probably at least as involved if not more.
Everything will be fire.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Is BOTW the most ambitious and expensive title by Nintendo?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived