3DS had VRAM, so does the Switch?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. 3DS had VRAM, so does the Switch?

User Info: NicknameMy

NicknameMy
1 year ago#1
The N3DS had additional 10MB VRAM for the GPU (256 MB RAM), how much additional VRAM will the Switch have? 200 MB? 500 MB? More or less?
My speculation on Switch TFLOPs: 0.5 undocked, 1.2 docked.
Pascal, 12 SM's, 768 CUDA Cores

User Info: DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM
1 year ago#2
NicknameMy posted...
The N3DS had additional 10MB VRAM for the GPU (256 MB RAM), how much additional VRAM will the Switch have? 200 MB? 500 MB? More or less?

We don't know if it even has a separate section of VRAM from main RAM.
I'm gonna enjoy playing Nintendo games, and you can't stop me.
http://tinyurl.com/p9gk8xg - http://tinyurl.com/nnff2sk

NicknameMy
1 year ago#3
DiscostewSM posted...
NicknameMy posted...

We don't know if it even has a separate section of VRAM from main RAM.

Hence the question, what do YOU think. No rumours, just speculations.

User Info: SolidKnight

SolidKnight
1 year ago#4
It's going to use SGRAM because it's cheaper.

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#5
The best setup 128bit bus lpddr4 with some frame buffer like the wii u. Although we don't really know if a cache of frame buffer is necessary. The current memory in Tegra Parker maybe good enough.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: Board_hunter567

Board_hunter567
1 year ago#6
Probably not.
You have all kinds of fun stuff to consider like tile based rasterization, the size and cost of additional supplemental RAM, blah blah. I don't even know all the details myself, but I trust the people who are making the hardware know a little more than I do. I hope they do anyway. They thought they made good decisions with the Wii U after all.

I guess if you really want an answer, look up on how the Tegra X1 does stuff.
http://i.imgur.com/szMsu.png
Validate your purchases and discredit the purchases of others whenever possible. Numbers objectively define quality and enjoyment.

User Info: yummychop

yummychop
1 year ago#7
Maybe it's what they're referring to when they say custom, as far as I'm aware no Tegra chips had dedicated gpu ram. The performance would have to be worth the cost though, in that regard I have no idea.

User Info: Solis

Solis
1 year ago#8
There's no indication that it has any sort of dedicated VRAM. It's actually rather likely that it will entirely rely on the system RAM as previous Tegra devices have.

It's a shame, because dedicated DRAM did seem to help the previous Intel processors quite a bit, and I wonder what kind of performance benefit there would be on supporting it on more powerful APUs. Although disappointingly, most mobile devices don't' even bother to support dual channel memory despite the rather notable (up to 50%) performance improvement it can provide for graphical operations as well as general operations, so maybe that should be a priority if they aren't willing to have any dedicated GPU memory.
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review

NicknameMy
1 year ago#9
Solis posted...
There's no indication that it has any sort of dedicated VRAM. It's actually rather likely that it will entirely rely on the system RAM as previous Tegra devices have.

It's a shame, because dedicated DRAM did seem to help the previous Intel processors quite a bit, and I wonder what kind of performance benefit there would be on supporting it on more powerful APUs. Although disappointingly, most mobile devices don't' even bother to support dual channel memory despite the rather notable (up to 50%) performance improvement it can provide for graphical operations as well as general operations, so maybe that should be a priority if they aren't willing to have any dedicated GPU memory.

But it is custom, so because they make the first tegra for a dedicated home console, everything is possible.

User Info: GameDesignerSage

GameDesignerSage
1 year ago#10
The problem with VRAM is high bandwidth and the problem with high bandwidth is power consumption. If Switch did have dedicated VRAM then it's not going to be a lot AND be of high bandwidth, In which case, it would make more sense just to use 128bit LPDDR4 at 50GB/s. But if VRAM is on the table, I think you're expecting too much with 200MB. 32MB is enough for 1080p and lower. 64MB an absolutely max, but I don't see that being possible if bandwidth exceeds 50GB/s.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. 3DS had VRAM, so does the Switch?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived