Switch's Graphics Card Took 500 MAN-YEARS to Develop

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Switch's Graphics Card Took 500 MAN-YEARS to Develop

User Info: darkcharizard

darkcharizard
1 year ago#1
Maxwell 2nd generation was released in the market in 2014.... Nintendo signed the contract with Nvidia around the same time

500 man-FREAKING-years since then to create Switch's gpu!!

It's highly unlikely that Nintendo will use dated and discontinued architecture (a modified Tegra X1) for Switch. Pascal has been used in all of Nvidia's GPUs since 2016.

User Info: TrashPandaJedi

TrashPandaJedi
1 year ago#2
maybe
http://i.imgur.com/mLhEeaZ.gifv

User Info: oldbutimmature

oldbutimmature
1 year ago#3
Eh. I'd rather wait a few weeks before the unveil, or better yet until March before I can get my hands on it.

I can't just accept that the Switch's GPU will be cutting edge. Then again the past week's rumors have been worse. And to think of it, I care about the way it works more than some tech standards that will inevitably progress with time.

User Info: Serenity_Lotus

Serenity_Lotus
1 year ago#4
TC... Are you new to Nvidia PR?
FFXIV / Neko Heart / Jenova
~ Embrace the warmth that is death, destroy the coldness that is life ~

oldbutimmature
1 year ago#5
^That's the thing. Until we actually get our hands on the system and its games, our info comes via the PR flaks. Each and every one of them has either a conflict of interest, and/or does not have the final product available.

I'll just wait for the local Best Buy's display unit.

User Info: Serenity_Lotus

Serenity_Lotus
1 year ago#6
oldbutimmature posted...
^That's the thing. Until we actually get our hands on the system and its games, our info comes via the PR flaks. Each and every one of them has either a conflict of interest, and/or does not have the final product available.

Nvidia is known for it's crazy over-the-top PR speak. I didn't say that they are nefarious or anything close to it.
FFXIV / Neko Heart / Jenova
~ Embrace the warmth that is death, destroy the coldness that is life ~

User Info: Fauch

Fauch
1 year ago#7
darkcharizard posted...
Maxwell 2nd generation was released in the market in 2014.... Nintendo signed the contract with Nvidia around the same time

It's highly unlikely that Nintendo will use dated and discontinued architecture (a modified Tegra X1) for Switch. Pascal has been used in all of Nvidia's GPUs since 2016.

Pascal is soon to be outdated too - the GTX 1080 TI will most likely be the last card with that architecture, and it's (most likely) being released in January 2017. So, even if it's Pascal, it will be outdated soon. Saying Nintendo won't use something outdated is a non-argument.
Komm suesser Tod

oldbutimmature
1 year ago#8
Serenity_Lotus posted...
oldbutimmature posted...

Nvidia is known for it's crazy over-the-top PR speak. I didn't say that they are nefarious or anything close to it.

They're not nefarious. More like self-serving. Accusing Saddam Hussein of having WMD was a nefarious PR claim. Nvidia just wants to make a few bucks.

User Info: darkcharizard

darkcharizard
1 year ago#9
Fauch posted...
darkcharizard posted...

Pascal is soon to be outdated too - the GTX 1080 TI will most likely be the last card with that architecture, and it's (most likely) being released in January 2017. So, even if it's Pascal, it will be outdated soon. Saying Nintendo won't use something outdated is a non-argument.
NES architecture is also outdated, so saying Nintendo won't use that for the Switch because its outdated is a non-argument? Get real.

What do you think 500 man-years were spent on if Maxwell 2nd gen was already out before work even begun? In 500 man years they can make a brand new architecture like Volta.

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#10
Nvidia makes some great things, but their PR is full of crap. They overhype things way too often.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Switch's Graphics Card Took 500 MAN-YEARS to Develop

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived