RUMOR: Nintendo Switch Uses Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture Instead of Pascal

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. RUMOR: Nintendo Switch Uses Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture Instead of Pascal

User Info: faizan_faizan

faizan_faizan
1 year ago#101
Solis posted...
faizan_faizan posted...
Solis posted...
Board_hunter567 posted...
Solis posted...
since the tablet has a much smaller form factor than what tablets already running the X2 at full speed do

Did you mean X1? Because, as far as I'm aware, there are no tablets using Parker (X2 doesn't exist, it's like saying the X1 is K2).

My mistake, I meant X1 for already released tablets, but yes, I erroneously referred to its successor as X2 as well since that term had been thrown around a lot on this board and I didn't realize P1 was the official designation. I'll use P1 from now on when talking about the Pascal based Tegra.

No, the actual name is Parker. P1 was specifically made for self-driving cars.

Hmm, alright, thank you for the clarification. Is the official designation for the whole SoC "Tegra Parker" then, or did they drop the Tegra moniker for it as well and just call it Parker? There seem to be conflicting information on how it's referred to.

That's what it is. I don't know the official designation myself since Nvidia have referred to it in multiple ways. It does seem to hold the Tegra moniker as it's a part of the same family. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10596/hot-chips-2016-nvidia-discloses-tegra-parker-details
Allergic to bull****.

User Info: Board_hunter567

Board_hunter567
1 year ago#102
Solis posted...
Hmm, alright, thank you for the clarification. Is the official designation for the whole SoC "Tegra Parker" then, or did they drop the Tegra moniker for it as well and just call it Parker? There seem to be conflicting information on how it's referred to.

Parker is just the codename, just like how Erista was the codename for the X1.
PX2 specifically refers to self-driving cars but is still based on Parker. I have no idea where the P1 name came from because I don't think Nvidia ever referred to it as such.
http://i.imgur.com/szMsu.png
Validate your purchases and discredit the purchases of others whenever possible. Numbers objectively define quality and enjoyment.

User Info: NicknameMy

NicknameMy
1 year ago#103
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/16/more-hints-that-amd-is-building-nintendo-nxs-processor/

Oh wait...

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#104
^As much as we want this article to be false, that article was about speculation and basing their evidence on interviews, and it was done in 2015... They didn't say this is what the nx will have, but more about what it might have.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: NicknameMy

NicknameMy
1 year ago#105
Shacky_101 posted...
^As much as we want this article to be false, that article was about speculation and basing their evidence on interviews, and it was done in 2015... They didn't say this is what the nx will have, but more about what it might have.

Still doesn't change the fact tho that the article is super flawed in every technical aspect. This just adds more to it being false.

And we also don't even know if it uses maxwell, if it is customised to 16 nm TSMC since that is easier to produce these days than 20 nm.

User Info: Hell_Thrasher

Hell_Thrasher
1 year ago#106
Why is anyone even humoring this rumor?
It's been downright CONFIRMED by Nvidia themselves to be using, and I quote, "a chip set similar to what our current GeForce video cards run off of".

GeForce runs off of Pascal. Not to mention, going back and using Maxwell would be MORE expensive, and Nintendo wants to spend LESS money on parts. It'll use Pascal. I don't like speaking in definite any more (not since the last time I had egg on my face with the Switch's reveal... egg of which I wore with pride), but a Pascal chip set has been CONFIRMED. Not leaked, not rumored, CONFIRMED.
"If the anime doesn't make me question if I'm on cocaine, then it's not worth my time" - The greatest human being who ever lived.

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#107
Their statement is too vague to define characteristics for the SoC. Maxwell technically is slightly more optimized Pascal on 16nm. That's literally one of the first thing people started to argue about, "what does that statement really mean?".

Aside from the logical fallacies contained in the article, the rumour could be legit and could be actually running on maxwell (which I doubt), but the delivery of that message would be the only false thing.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: super_clout

super_clout
1 year ago#108
Hell_Thrasher posted...
It's been downright CONFIRMED by Nvidia themselves to be using, and I quote, "a chip set similar to what our current GeForce video cards run off of".

GeForce runs off of Pascal. Not to mention, going back and using Maxwell would be MORE expensive, and Nintendo wants to spend LESS money on parts. It'll use Pascal. I don't like speaking in definite any more (not since the last time I had egg on my face with the Switch's reveal... egg of which I wore with pride), but a Pascal chip set has been CONFIRMED. Not leaked, not rumored, CONFIRMED.

but it's Nintendo they been effen up since 96
FC 1891 1184 7059. IGN. Clout

User Info: ArabrockermanX

ArabrockermanX
1 year ago#109
Shacky_101 posted...

Yes, but he has been editing his current article to when ever the neogaf thread discussing his article calls bull s***... He does this with out noting what edits have taken place.

This guys complete lack of ethics should raise a few flags on his "leak."
The internet, where people come to be a dumbass.

User Info: ArabrockermanX

ArabrockermanX
1 year ago#110
Hell_Thrasher posted...

That statement can also mean Maxwell though ._.

It wouldn't be false, sure I do think Pascal seems more likely due to this being a handheld, but Maxwell isn't exactly a stretch...
The internet, where people come to be a dumbass.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. RUMOR: Nintendo Switch Uses Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture Instead of Pascal

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived