• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Why nintendo uses ARM instead of X86

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
2 years ago#81
...potato's post reduced my brain cells significantly. It's about time I block him before I get more stupid.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.
(message deleted)

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
2 years ago#83
You might as well be if you think everything has to be x86 and arm is inherently worse.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: BoomerTheGreat

BoomerTheGreat
2 years ago#84
a user named @lightningbugx broke this down a while ago.
Greatness comes from within

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
2 years ago#85
x86 requires sequential decoding of its instructions because how the 2nd byte is resolved depends on the first byte, and the 3rd byte depends on the 2nd byte. Accelerating this process requires tons of circuits for guessing each instruction code possibility. Tons of circuits means lots of transistors. Lots of transistors means more cost.

x86 was designed this way to save on memory space, which is pointless now that 32-bit and 64-bit expansions had been added. 32-bit added the real processing power. Most of 64-bit is to process memory locations and whenever such a number was needed.

Performance processors use fixed length instructions, which required instruction words of multiple bytes just to make an effective instruction, which back in the 8 and 16 bit days took up more space in RAM. Being fixed length, you can break the instruction apart in parallel can get it decoded like processing an add operation, everything is ready but waiting on a carry bit to pass through. It takes fewer transistors for performance, which means less cost, and also less power consumption.

This is what POWERPC is based around, and what makes it great for high performance servers and legitimate supercomputers.
Core i7-4930K, 2x Radeon R9 390X, 4x4GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM, GA X79-UD3
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: BoomerTheGreat

BoomerTheGreat
2 years ago#86
Shacky_101 posted...
...potato's post reduced my brain cells significantly. It's about time I block him before I get more stupid.

He does that a lot on the Vita board and occasionally the PS4 board.
Greatness comes from within

User Info: GameDesignerSage

GameDesignerSage
2 years ago#87
lightningbugx posted...
x86 requires sequential decoding of its instructions because how the 2nd byte is resolved depends on the first byte, and the 3rd byte depends on the 2nd byte. Accelerating this process requires tons of circuits for guessing each instruction code possibility. Tons of circuits means lots of transistors. Lots of transistors means more cost.

x86 was designed this way to save on memory space, which is pointless now that 32-bit and 64-bit expansions had been added. 32-bit added the real processing power. Most of 64-bit is to process memory locations and whenever such a number was needed.

Performance processors use fixed length instructions, which required instruction words of multiple bytes just to make an effective instruction, which back in the 8 and 16 bit days took up more space in RAM. Being fixed length, you can break the instruction apart in parallel can get it decoded like processing an add operation, everything is ready but waiting on a carry bit to pass through. It takes fewer transistors for performance, which means less cost, and also less power consumption.

This is what POWERPC is based around, and what makes it great for high performance servers and legitimate supercomputers.

So, eight of the ten most powerful supercomputers aren't legit?

User Info: grans

grans
2 years ago#88
potatochobit posted...
grans posted...

Modern ARM processors (A57 or better) are more powerful clock-for-clock and core-for-core than the CPUs used inside the PS4 and Xbox One. While a higher clocked Intel i series processor will still beat any ARM processor (released as of this post anyways), the x86 cpus currently being used in gaming consoles are extremely weak.

that's like saying bicycles get better gas mileage
but who gives a damn when you drive around in a corvette

I'm sure someone would give a damn if the corvette had its engine replaced with a broken down lemon engine that struggles when it goes over 15mph, and dies and rolls backwards when confronted with a hill. At that point a bicycle runs circles around the corvette Frankensteined with a weak engine. You'd turn some heads when the car is parked at first before anyone could know, but as soon as you fire the engine up to actually drive... well that bicycle is starting to look pretty appealing.

The x86 arcihtecture only benefits when paired with a better designed physical chip like those designed for desktops (like my PC's Intel Core i5 @4.2ghz). The AMD Jaguar is an ultra low voltage chip designed for tablet sized or smaller devices, straddled with a low clock speed. On top of that, AMD Jaguar isn't even a very powerful mobile x86 CPU, Intel's Bay Trail and Cherry Trail mobile Atom CPU's are a lot more powerful than Jaguar (which also mirrors the failures AMD has in the desktop market, often beaten in performance by much older Intel chips).

ARM chips in most recent smartphones and tablets have handily surpassed the CPU performance of PS4 and Xbox One.
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville

User Info: LimboStudios

LimboStudios
2 years ago#89
grans posted...
potatochobit posted...
grans posted...

Modern ARM processors (A57 or better) are more powerful clock-for-clock and core-for-core than the CPUs used inside the PS4 and Xbox One. While a higher clocked Intel i series processor will still beat any ARM processor (released as of this post anyways), the x86 cpus currently being used in gaming consoles are extremely weak.

that's like saying bicycles get better gas mileage
but who gives a damn when you drive around in a corvette

I'm sure someone would give a damn if the corvette had its engine replaced with a broken down lemon engine that struggles when it goes over 15mph, and dies and rolls backwards when confronted with a hill. At that point a bicycle runs circles around the corvette Frankensteined with a weak engine. You'd turn some heads when the car is parked at first before anyone could know, but as soon as you fire the engine up to actually drive... well that bicycle is starting to look pretty appealing.

The x86 arcihtecture only benefits when paired with a better designed physical chip like those designed for desktops (like my PC's Intel Core i5 @4.2ghz). The AMD Jaguar is an ultra low voltage chip designed for tablet sized or smaller devices, straddled with a low clock speed. On top of that, AMD Jaguar isn't even a very powerful mobile x86 CPU, Intel's Bay Trail and Cherry Trail mobile Atom CPU's are a lot more powerful than Jaguar (which also mirrors the failures AMD has in the desktop market, often beaten in performance by much older Intel chips).

ARM chips in most recent smartphones and tablets have handily surpassed the CPU performance of PS4 and Xbox One.

ok, they still run plenty of games at playable speeds that the Switch won't be able to run :)
Even my most peaceful and calm posts are somehow designed to belittle those that disagree with me even a little, get used to it~!

User Info: El_Zaggy

El_Zaggy
2 years ago#90
x86 isnt as power efficiency as arm

just take a look at the chipsets on phones and tablets. most of them uses the snapdragon chipset that uses arm and not x86 for that reason. it provides good efficiency but its still far away from x86
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Why nintendo uses ARM instead of X86
  • Topic Archived