• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Why it's ok to mock Christianity in games but none other religious concept?

User Info: TrueGamer79

TrueGamer79
1 week ago#1
I'm not a Catholic but I recognized the symbolism used on the game cover. The front guy mocking what Catholic church invented and named as Jesus' Sacred Heart. Instead of heart is a frag grenade.

I am certain that this type of visual would have been suddenly considered offensive if it was anything else; Say, Allah or whatever serious world religion business. I can't imagine what it would have triggered.

I bet many other games, movies and the like, actually mocks and laugh at Jesus in a way or the other. BUT no other religions or such symbols are mocked. On the contrary, these will be glorified or adapted.

I'll put this sig while I think about a better one.

User Info: Boltens

Boltens
1 week ago#2
South Park and family guy makes fun of tons of different religions
Yo yo yiggity yo
Its the most easily mocked religion, especially in the usa

User Info: terrysmay04

terrysmay04
1 week ago#4
Everyone wants to take shots at the guy on top
In the future both men and women will go to the gynecologist. But only women will be getting their moneys worth
psn Dubious_Hyjinx

TrueGamer79
1 week ago#5
Hmmm, well honestly I too thought about those. You make it sound legit but forgot some tendencies.

Even if they made fun of many different religions,they mostly target christianity overall. Other religions are a minority here. These shows were in fact criticized for its content and accused of anti-Christian themes.

Back to topic, I bet they would not have made it away using Muslim imagery to mock up and sell.

User Info: guimarae

guimarae
1 week ago#6
If they target other religions, like muslim, they get a target on them.
Remember Charlie Hebdo?
PSN: Daniel_Pedro
FC: 1349-9183-1874

User Info: Evilnick

Evilnick
1 week ago#7
guimarae posted...
Charlie Hebdo

Or our American embassy that was attacked over a muslim mocking movie? I mean the last admin told us thats why it was attacked right?
www.fu ktos.com

User Info: gtarocker

gtarocker
1 week ago#8
Would a majority of the fan base get jokes made at other religions as easily?

I highly doubt it, and if your fanbase isnt going to get the references why put them in amd make a worse game.

PSN kotabones. You're easier to trigger than Han Solo's blaster

User Info: blindtruth

blindtruth
1 week ago#9
That's an imitation and imitation is the highest form of flattery. If it was a mockery, there would be media attention and SJWs coming out like rats at a funeral.

TrueGamer79
1 week ago#10
blindtruth posted...
That's an imitation and imitation is the highest form of flattery. If it was a mockery, there would be media attention and SJWs coming out like rats at a funeral.

An imitation? Imagine your father died after wishing you a good life and then, people came with fake pictures depicting him with ridiculous photoshoped stuff and messages opposed to what he said?

Here, the heart is a grenade and guns circle a murderous character. Imitation my *ss. It's more like some would call some kind of blasphemy, promoting the absolute opposite message Jesus promoted.

Now, there was no media outburst because, as I tend to observe, it's nowadays quite cool and mainstream to laugh at God.
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Why it's ok to mock Christianity in games but none other religious concept?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers