• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Out here seeking guidance, because something has to be wrong with me

User Info: mr_escobar

mr_escobar
1 week ago#1
Full disclosure: I have a little rant but it doesn't involve the patches or nerfs or anything of the sort. I legit just need some perspective and anything would help. Thanks in advance!

I've been playing this series since day one. The original Borderlands changed my perspective of gaming in a major way and Borderlands 2 is literally one of my top favorite games of all time, easily my favorite of last gen despite the many gems back then. I even was able to find some great fun with Athena in TPS (which I only played for the first time earlier this year), despite the flaws that I found with that game.

But Borderlands 3 is different. Maybe it's just me but I have found this entire experience from when I first started up to be, to put it bluntly, boring. I've played for who knows how many hours and am around level 40 I believe? I haven't played in a couple of weeks so please forgive me.

Point is, for the first time since I've started this franchise I haven't even found the will to finish the story. I know a portion of it is the story, since I personally feel the writing has taken a major dip in quality from the previous games. That being said, I could forgive lazy or downright bad writing if the game is still fun overall. And I think that's my problem

Since the beginning it has become tradition with my friends and I that I always go Siren first, even if on a solo run (with the exception of Athena for obvious reasons). This time around though, as much as it pains me to say it, I just feel that Amara is not up to par with Lilith and Maya. Now that's not to say that she isn't capable by any stretch of the word, but I just haven't found a reason to claim that she is an improved siren. I tried Phase Cast and Phase Slam and found both builds to be a chore. Phase Grasp is the closest I have to fun but I honestly just feel like I'm using a poor man's Maya. Even though I love the idea of Ties That Bond, I just feel that BL2 excelled because the single action skill had synergy with all the trees available. Now with the multiple skills, while it promotes diversity in builds as Gearbox says, I feel like I'm not reaching a point where Amara is complete the way I felt with Lilith and Maya. I have more in-dept thoughts but I believe the idea may have gotten through (hopefully, anyway).

So maybe it's just the siren class, or maybe it's just me. I haven't found any fun in the game at all but I keep chugging along because I want to see it through, as if I owe it to the devs or something I dunno. I just wish I could find joy in this game, I see glimmers of it sure but I just want to have fun again.

Sorry for the walls of text, I just had to get my thoughts out to anyone who was willing to read, if there are any suggestions to make it more fun with Amara please let me know. If anyone else felt the same about her but found fulfillment in a different class, please also let me know! Again, sorry. I know this post is kinda all over the place but I just had word vomit that had to get out and would love feedback.

TL;DR I just really really want to love this game like I did its predecessors, so any advice to get me to that point and over this slump of being bored would help. Thank you for reading and for taking the time to respond if you do!
"Final Fantasy is watching the fight in the corner of the room?"
GT: Admiral Escobar; Alternate DD GT: Erin Escabar
Play another class

User Info: Birdiii

Birdiii
1 week ago#3
Well, I think the game had too much hype but the story itself is lackluster. The same thing with Game of Thrones is happening here... there was so much hype for season 8 and after about the 3rd episode in, the franchise imploded lol.

The question here is... is the writing bad? Well it has its moments, but is lacking. Could've been so much better. The characters themselves feel devoid of emotion (even characters we've known and come to love such as Lilith and Moxxi) and that kills the connection. The newer introduced characters like Ava don't help the situation either, she's so annoying I just wanted to be done with her.

As for Amara... I personally like her and main her. Reached lvl 50 and finished the story with her. You need to invest in all the skill trees strategically for her to be useful. I use phasecast but use the passive abilities such as 'Guardian Angel' from the green skill tree. She's able to regenerate health and also phaselock enemies (passive in the phasecast tree). I also like her brusque personality, she's like a wall you can't knock down. She's always shouting things like "What did you expect? You are dealing with a siren!" and THAT really reminds me of Lilith and Maya since they were always laughing maniacally during fights lol.

As for the game mechanics, it's the best so far. I love the cooperative mode, everyone gets their own loot. We can finally climb and slide. Tediore guns are super fun, with their little walking turrets spawning. You can customize your own cars etc. And so far we only have the story and no DLC. More content is always better no?

The real issue here I reckon is that B3 feels like an improved extension of its predecessors due to its story not being on par with theirs. Just try to enjoy the experience :)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: funkyfritter

funkyfritter
1 week ago#4
It's a game. If you're not having fun with it anymore, find something else to do instead.
And with that...pow! I'm gone!

User Info: mr_escobar

mr_escobar
1 week ago#5
BuyersRemorse55 posted...
Play another class

Any suggestions??

Birdiii posted...
Well, I think the game had too much hype but the story itself is lackluster. The same thing with Game of Thrones is happening here... there was so much hype for season 8 and after about the 3rd episode in, the franchise imploded lol.

The question here is... is the writing bad? Well it has its moments, but is lacking. Could've been so much better. The characters themselves feel devoid of emotion (even characters we've known and come to love such as Lilith and Moxxi) and that kills the connection. The newer introduced characters like Ava don't help the situation either, she's so annoying I just wanted to be done with her.

As for Amara... I personally like her and main her. Reached lvl 50 and finished the story with her. You need to invest in all the skill trees strategically for her to be useful. I use phasecast but use the passive abilities such as 'Guardian Angel' from the green skill tree. She's able to regenerate health and also phaselock enemies (passive in the phasecast tree). I also like her brusque personality, she's like a wall you can't knock down. She's always shouting things like "What did you expect? You are dealing with a siren!" and THAT really reminds me of Lilith and Maya since they were always laughing maniacally during fights lol.

As for the game mechanics, it's the best so far. I love the cooperative mode, everyone gets their own loot. We can finally climb and slide. Tediore guns are super fun, with their little walking turrets spawning. You can customize your own cars etc. And so far we only have the story and no DLC. More content is always better no?

The real issue here I reckon is that B3 feels like an improved extension of its predecessors due to its story not being on par with theirs. Just try to enjoy the experience :)

I appreciate the breakdown, I'll try to give her another go with a more complete build, hopefully I can find one that works out.

funkyfritter posted...
It's a game. If you're not having fun with it anymore, find something else to do instead.

Man you're not wrong, and I did just that (hence the not having played for a couple of weeks). But I do still yearn for some good Borderlands fun so it's still something I hope to return to one day.

Thanks all for the responses!
"Final Fantasy is watching the fight in the corner of the room?"
PSN: Admiral_Escobar
I did feel the story was a bit bare. Like the devs wanted to focus on the gameplay more, while kind of returning to its roots in the first game. I have only done a full playthrough as Fl4k, and I found his skill trees to be suited quite well for my playstyle. Plus, as a robot, his lack of emotion is at least justified, if it helps (though he plays more as a quiet, wise hunter in tune with the world around him).

As for story, I did chuckle quite a bit throughout the game, but when I first played BL2 (my first experience with the series), I was in tears nearly the whole game, I couldn’t stop laughing. Pre-Sequel did that to me too (mained as Claptrap).

BL1 had the best gameplay balancing, but goddamn was it somber and quiet. Most of the story was presented in results screens for handing in missions...I hated that. At least the dlc started fixing that.

But yeah, TC, the final world, I felt, really brought BL3’s story together in an almost completely satisfying way. I would encourage you to finish it. Plus, Gearbox has been very receptive of player input, so the dlc will undoubtedly improve on some of these issues (assuming you bought the season pass).
https://www.youtube.com/user/MattPlaysGames44
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Out here seeking guidance, because something has to be wrong with me
  • Post New Message