• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Great game so far...but the humor is kinda lame

User Info: TheNextAvatar4

TheNextAvatar4
4 weeks ago#51
NLAJZY posted...
I was gonna say something similar. We can't act like 2 was all that different in the humor department. I never really found references as a joke to be that funny.
I know TPS in kind of contentious, but I thought the humor was actually great on its own.
I liked Torgue's distain for laser weapons, Springs "I feel kind of bad for him."
The earworm sidequest in the DLC was great.
I can't stand Nakyama, but I liked how Jack reacted to his advances.
The basketball sidequest was funny too. There's a lot of highlights for me. Not that I didn't find 2 funny, it was great.
Troy said "Amaze-balls" in this. No one says that. Not even cringy streamers they're going for. This games had it's moments too. I'm only on Eden 6 though.
I think many people here miss part of the point of humor in this game series, aside from forgetting how the humor across all games isn't so different as they believe.

Tannis, during a side quest about pushing a mine cart in BL2, mentions about most people on Pandora used to be normal and have families, but corporations broke them, basically. The humor in this context is about exactly what it meant to be a psycho, and how their random jabber is part of something darker.

But, let's also talk about characters that are sane (somewhat). Tina, Brick, Claptrap, Tyreen and Troy, and the various side-quest characters. One acts like a kid on caffeine, one acts simple and blunt, the robot has many complexes aside from inferiority, the twins have a literal god-complex that represents today's twitch streamers, and the side-quest characters all each have a quirk involving a tendency or flaw they point out constantly (intentional or not).

The humor isn't about "being clever", and humor isn't defined by wit; it can also be about subverted expectations, which is something even Claptrap points out to those who don't understand humor in general. Despite what many of you think about BL3's humor, Gearbox knew full well what they were doing, and planted every little bit of dialogue, red text on guns, and... well, Tannis, into the world of Borderlands.

It's not about "Haha, clever joke, much wit", but more about "Wait, what now?! Haha!". Humor can be stupid for its own sake, and that's what I see at least. You are right about it being childish for the most part, but you're also wrong.
I wish I could control all the elements of the world... then I wouldn't need a job, especially one as a moderator on this site, but they're corrupt anyway.

User Info: NLAJZY

NLAJZY
4 weeks ago#52
TheNextAvatar4 posted...
NLAJZY posted...
I was gonna say something similar. We can't act like 2 was all that different in the humor department. I never really found references as a joke to be that funny.
I know TPS in kind of contentious, but I thought the humor was actually great on its own.
I liked Torgue's distain for laser weapons, Springs "I feel kind of bad for him."
The earworm sidequest in the DLC was great.
I can't stand Nakyama, but I liked how Jack reacted to his advances.
The basketball sidequest was funny too. There's a lot of highlights for me. Not that I didn't find 2 funny, it was great.
Troy said "Amaze-balls" in this. No one says that. Not even cringy streamers they're going for. This games had it's moments too. I'm only on Eden 6 though.
I think many people here miss part of the point of humor in this game series, aside from forgetting how the humor across all games isn't so different as they believe.

Tannis, during a side quest about pushing a mine cart in BL2, mentions about most people on Pandora used to be normal and have families, but corporations broke them, basically. The humor in this context is about exactly what it meant to be a psycho, and how their random jabber is part of something darker.

But, let's also talk about characters that are sane (somewhat). Tina, Brick, Claptrap, Tyreen and Troy, and the various side-quest characters. One acts like a kid on caffeine, one acts simple and blunt, the robot has many complexes aside from inferiority, the twins have a literal god-complex that represents today's twitch streamers, and the side-quest characters all each have a quirk involving a tendency or flaw they point out constantly (intentional or not).

The humor isn't about "being clever", and humor isn't defined by wit; it can also be about subverted expectations, which is something even Claptrap points out to those who don't understand humor in general. Despite what many of you think about BL3's humor, Gearbox knew full well what they were doing, and planted every little bit of dialogue, red text on guns, and... well, Tannis, into the world of Borderlands.

It's not about "Haha, clever joke, much wit", but more about "Wait, what now?! Haha!". Humor can be stupid for its own sake, and that's what I see at least. You are right about it being childish for the most part, but you're also wrong.

Well... yeah, I literally said it's not all just random reference humor. This game hasn't been all that different from the past ones, aside from 1 where a lot of stuff was still finding it's footing.
You're, uh, basically agreeing with my point, but thanks for the hostility and calling me wrong.
I almost feel like you replied to the wrong person because I'm one of the only other people on this post with a similar standpoint as yours.
3DS - 4210-4505-9974
PSN - Iakre95 (Capital "i" not an "L")

User Info: BlackWizardMagus

BlackWizardMagus
4 weeks ago#53
The first one was the funniest. Even 2 tried too hard. My example is Tanis; in the first game, finding all of her echoes and following her slow descent into madness was dark and humorous. She starts treating her echo recorder like a person, and makes it "sleep outside" at one point, because it's the only thing she's talked to for months and has been traumatized by the horrible deaths she's witnessed--that's funny and yet hits home, in a way, because how would any of us react to such psychological stress? In 2, very early on, we get a quest to find her echoes when she goes into extensive detail about her polyamorous relationship with 2 "ceiling chairs" and she has names for them and yada yada it was just trying too bloody hard to copy the first game. Scooter went from "typical redneck" to ridiculously over-the-top redneck who seems too stupid to breathe. I'm not saying 2 wasn't funny (or that 1 was perfect and beyond criticism); it still had plenty of good lines, and yes, Jack was great. But you could already see the tryhard.
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus

User Info: NLAJZY

NLAJZY
4 weeks ago#54
BlackWizardMagus posted...
The first one was the funniest. Even 2 tried too hard. My example is Tanis; in the first game, finding all of her echoes and following her slow descent into madness was dark and humorous. She starts treating her echo recorder like a person, and makes it "sleep outside" at one point, because it's the only thing she's talked to for months and has been traumatized by the horrible deaths she's witnessed--that's funny and yet hits home, in a way, because how would any of us react to such psychological stress? In 2, very early on, we get a quest to find her echoes when she goes into extensive detail about her polyamorous relationship with 2 "ceiling chairs" and she has names for them and yada yada it was just trying too bloody hard to copy the first game. Scooter went from "typical redneck" to ridiculously over-the-top redneck who seems too stupid to breathe. I'm not saying 2 wasn't funny (or that 1 was perfect and beyond criticism); it still had plenty of good lines, and yes, Jack was great. But you could already see the tryhard.

Exaaaactly. I loved Tannis in the first game. In 2 she still had some good lines, but also lines that just felt too random as if saying something out of left field should make me chuckle. Then they bring something like her bacon line back in 3.
I'm still in Eden 6, but I can see some seeds being planted for her storywise, so maybe she'll win me over some more. Here's hoping!
3DS - 4210-4505-9974
PSN - Iakre95 (Capital "i" not an "L")

User Info: Nabinator

Nabinator
4 weeks ago#55
Yuji Kaido posted...
2's writer is desperately needed.
Some people don't like him (politics and all) but he really refined this series. BL2 would've been nowhere near as a success without him.

User Info: EthanSilver

EthanSilver
4 weeks ago#56
It's an amazing game, but the humor can be a hit in a miss for sure. Was like that for the other games in the series for me too though. Still over all love the style, it's appeals to my dorky nature =p

User Info: EthanSilver

EthanSilver
4 weeks ago#57
Nabinator posted...
Yuji Kaido posted...
2's writer is desperately needed.
Some people don't like him (politics and all) but he really refined this series. BL2 would've been nowhere near as a success without him.

What happened to the writer?

User Info: ImTheLoneWolf

ImTheLoneWolf
4 weeks ago#58
Its not BL2 quality, but I like a lot of references and jokes.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DemigodGamer
I don't even remember the e-mail for my YouTube anymore and don't know how to get it. Enjoy watching old videos though.

User Info: Talinthis2

Talinthis2
4 weeks ago#59
the humor was always pretty bad. penguinz0 rated is 80% on his moist meter and basically explained the entire game in a quite amusing but accurate way like he always does, and i agree fully with everything he said about it. i wont link it because i dont wanna. you can easily find it.

User Info: Nabinator

Nabinator
4 weeks ago#60
EthanSilver posted...
What happened to the writer?
No idea actually
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Great game so far...but the humor is kinda lame
  • Topic Archived