• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Borderlands 2 or 3, which one first?

User Info: Teo226

Teo226
4 weeks ago#1
Hey. I'm new to the Borderlands series. I've thought about trying it in the past but never had the time. I've decided to give 3 a try and have been lurking here trying to get some impressions. I want to know if it's worth it to play 2 before 3 as I've read that Handsome Jack is an incredibly memorable villain far superior to the ones in 3. Or should I just skip 2 altogether due to the maps/villains/mission structure being to samey to 3 (or so I've read) to avoid fatigue if I were to play them back to back. Or I guess if I really like 3, I could come back and play 2 sometime down the road? Thanks for any recommendations.

User Info: phantomotap

phantomotap
4 weeks ago#2
I'd say skip one, two, and definitely ps for now in favor of three.
The quality of life improvements are just that good.
3DS-FC(1)::2981-6676-1626[Normal:Dunsparce/Kecleon/Smeargle]

User Info: Axariel

Axariel
4 weeks ago#3
I might play two first because it will feel slow AF after this game.
What need have I for this? What need have I for that? I am dancing at the feet of my lord. All is bliss. All is bliss.

User Info: Cassie_Cage

Cassie_Cage
4 weeks ago#4
To be honest, you should play 1-3 in order if you really want the full story and to appreciate/understand where everything is.

That said, if you don’t give a s***? Jump into 3. Just don’t be surprised if you have no idea what’s going on.
Proud founder of the Moze Army!

User Info: Nabinator

Nabinator
4 weeks ago#5
Go 2, definitely. Unless you don't give a s*** about the plot at all. If you do, I don't know why you're asking this question, answer should be obvious.

User Info: Purple_Cheetah

Purple_Cheetah
4 weeks ago#6
You could skip tps.
One is debatable and hasn't entirely aged well. It's just limited/old, not bad so to speak.

If you want 2, it'd be for the environments and writing/characters. The gameplay isn't as rough as 1, but not as improved as 3.

That said I know the feeling... 2 isn't a short game by any means and trying to do 3 directly after trying to experience all of 2 would be tiring.

I'd say get 3 if you want the newness and get 2 eventually when you want to experience the writing... unfortunately it'd screw with the story line order and you'd get tripped up by the small changes/improvements from 3.

User Info: danl0134

danl0134
4 weeks ago#7
Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I was worried that 3 would completely replace it but after 10 hours, I’d say they’re on par. 3 does some things better, and 2 does other things better.

The weirdest thing though is that Borderlands 2 actually has better graphics and performance if you’re playing on a pro/4k tv.

I think you can probably start with either, and play the other when you’re done. The pre-sequel isn’t bad either - the DLC expansion for that is one of the coolest campaigns outside of the last one for BL2.
Great job!
XBL: CameraManDanGL

User Info: Axariel

Axariel
4 weeks ago#8
I could not play BL2 again after 3. That game (main campaign) disrespects your time to the max. The improvements in 3 illustrate that really well.
What need have I for this? What need have I for that? I am dancing at the feet of my lord. All is bliss. All is bliss.

User Info: Kaatisu

Kaatisu
4 weeks ago#9
Cassie_Cage posted...
To be honest, you should play 1-3 in order if you really want the full story and to appreciate/understand where everything is.

That said, if you don’t give a s***? Jump into 3. Just don’t be surprised if you have no idea what’s going on.

Technically you'd want to play the Tales from the Borderlands games as well.
Ba dum tsh!

User Info: varelle

varelle
4 weeks ago#10
I'd skip 1, play 2 first, then 3.
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Borderlands 2 or 3, which one first?
  • Topic Archived