• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Are they sill using Cell-shaded graphics to hide the bad graphics engine?

User Info: Xylymphydyte

Xylymphydyte
1 week ago#11
Eraldus posted...
midgitninja1 posted...
Eraldus posted...
So are you guys looking forward for the new Guardian Rank system in BL3?

I think it's gonna be much better than the Badass Rank used in the previous games, because you could only increase it by doing challenges, which made leveling your rank a chore.

I can't wait to try it out.

Yea I think it could be pretty great! My badass rank system was super glitched and I ended up getting tons of tokens I never earned so I couldn’t use the ranks without having massively inflated stats for some reason.

Mine never glitched up, but I heard some people having similar problems as well.

BTW has it been confirmed if Guardian Ranks will have a cap? Or will it will keep leveling up to infinite and beyond?

They made a big deal of them being unlimited. What we don't know is if it has increasing xp cost per token or if it's a flat cost.
"What's your sign? Cancer? Well isn't that a happy coincidence," Said the insensitive oncologist to the patient.

User Info: narfkeks

narfkeks
1 week ago#12
midgitninja1 posted...
They are still using cell shading, yes.
It's no cell shading and it never was. It's called outlining. They basically draw black lines on the borders of objects.
Also, regarding TC's "bad grafics engine" talk: they don't want to be realistic. If he saw anything from any game made in Unreal Engine 4, then he'd know that UE4 is one of the best engines on the market in terms of features and flexibility. This includes grafics.
Borderlands is back to show the world how loot has to be!
Shoot the world - loot the world!

User Info: Darth_Lundgren

Darth_Lundgren
1 week ago#13
When they previewed the first Borderlands they tried to go for a realistic look and it looked generic and bland.

This is why they changed up the art style and added the outlined effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZv9fEY_co
PSN ID: Darth_Lundgren

narfkeks
1 week ago#14
Darth_Lundgren posted...
When they previewed the first Borderlands they tried to go for a realistic look and it looked generic and bland.

Exactly. And nowadays Borderlands gets recognized by and for it's artstyle. I would go so far as to say that the franchise probably would have flopped without this artstyle or rather, it would have ended with BL1. The game got a lot of traction for it's artstyle that was relatively unique at the time. And even nowadays most games with any sort of cartoony look get compared to Borderlands more often than not.

Darth_Lundgren
1 week ago#15
narfkeks posted...
Darth_Lundgren posted...

Exactly. And nowadays Borderlands gets recognized by and for it's artstyle. I would go so far as to say that the franchise probably would have flopped without this artstyle or rather, it would have ended with BL1. The game got a lot of traction for it's artstyle that was relatively unique at the time. And even nowadays most game with any sort of cartoony look get compared to Borderlands more often than not.

So true!

Had they gone with the original art direction of the game, everyone would have just labelled it "Generic Shooter #8936294"

narfkeks
1 week ago#16
Darth_Lundgren posted...
So true!

Had they gone with the original art direction of the game, everyone would have just labelled it "Generic Shooter #8936294"
Pretty much. It might have been that the systems would have been used elsewhere and that the Shlooter genre would've prospered the same as it has. But Borderlands would probably be just an old memory.

User Info: lilhurk1985187

lilhurk1985187
1 week ago#17
TC has created 6 topics in the last 13 hours just to whine and complain and hasnt responded to any of the replies.
Kid Buu>>>>>>>All other Buu.

User Info: lilhurk1985187

lilhurk1985187
1 week ago#18
Darth_Lundgren posted...

That looks way better than what we have now.
Kid Buu>>>>>>>All other Buu.

Darth_Lundgren
1 week ago#19
lilhurk1985187 posted...
Darth_Lundgren posted...

That looks way better than what we have now.

Not really. It looks different to what we have now. It doesn't stand out at all though. The art style they went with makes the game stand out.

Also bear in mind that this is a cutscene/teaser trailer. The game wouldn't have looked like that. It would have been bland and grey.

User Info: vexermaster

vexermaster
1 week ago#20
Back then I thought it was changed, because fallout 3 was so popular or something...
Ohhh, Elden Ring
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Are they sill using Cell-shaded graphics to hide the bad graphics engine?
  • Topic Archived