• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Neverwinter Nights
  3. slowness issues...

User Info: Lyrst

Lyrst
8 years ago#1
ita been a few years, and i lost my old copy, but i remember it used to run smooth. just installed diamond and its slow and kindw jumpy...is there a way to make it smooth again, like tweaking the reasolution to 1620 x 1480 (not sure on exact numbers)? i think i did something like that before but cant recall...any help greatly appreciated.

User Info: baramos123

baramos123
8 years ago#2
I had the same problem too to fix it I had to change the sound provider under the advanced sound options in my case it defaulted to RAD game tools RSX 3D audio I changed that to Direcrtsound Software Emulation(my old sound card crashes my comp when I do hardware) and it fixed the jumpiness. Everything runs fine now, it took me awhile to find the problem since I'm not used to jumpy graphics when a game is running at 170fps I tried all the graphics options nothing changed but once I changed that audio setting it fixed that problem for me and it also fixed it for my brother on his laptop

Lyrst
8 years ago#3
thanks, i tried it. graphics are still choppy. had 256 mb ram...christmas upgrade to 1 gig, still choppy..any ideas??

User Info: baramos123

baramos123
8 years ago#4
Hmm I assume with that low of ram your computer is fairly old turning down the resolution and ratcheting down the graphics settings would help if you haven't tried that also if you have an old graphics card getting the latest official drivers or if it's really old an omega driver might help you more other than that not much I can say, sometimes its just a poorly optimized game and without a decent processor having a good graphics card or not it'll run like garbage at any setting,

User Info: badwolf4235

badwolf4235
8 years ago#5
Lyrst, whats the full spec of your computer that you are running it on please?
[url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/dodgee_brummie/] [img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/dodgee_brummie.png[/img] [/url]
PSN dodgee_brummie

Lyrst
8 years ago#6
compaq presario 6330ca, windows xp, pentium 4 2.0 ghz, 1 gig ram. pretty well right off the factory floor except the 1 gig of ram.

Lyrst
8 years ago#7
i know its an old comp, but i remember playing and fixing it before, just the how that i have no idea of.

User Info: badwolf4235

badwolf4235
8 years ago#8
I'm running mine on a dual core processor, and to do this I have to tell it to only run off one processor which is done through task manager.

I think your best bet is just fiddling with the compatiblity thingy and setting it to win 98 or something...

Sorry for being so vague!
[url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/dodgee_brummie/] [img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/dodgee_brummie.png[/img] [/url]
PSN dodgee_brummie

User Info: black spider

black spider
8 years ago#9
I think your best bet is just fiddling with the compatiblity thingy and setting it to win 98 or something...
He's using a single core P4 and he's not using Win Vista. Compatibility shouldn't be much of a problem. Sure wasn't on my last computer, an Athlon XP 1600+ running Win XP as well.

i know its an old comp, but i remember playing and fixing it before, just the how that i have no idea of.
Quoting the readme file:
"*Recommended System Requirements

Operating System: Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP for server/client;
Linux for server; (Mac OSX pending in future)
Processor: Pentium® III 1.3 GHz or AthlonTM 1.3 GHz
Memory: Windows 98/ME/2000SP2/XP 256 MB (XP 512)
Hard Disk Space: 4.1 GB of install space required
CD-ROM/DVD Drive: 8x speed
Video: GeForce 3/ATIRadeon™ 8500 video card* "

I don't know what graphics card you have, but aside from that your computer is well above recommended specs. If you're having lag then turn off shadows and eye candy, turn down resolution, and make sure sound is Miles fast 2D positional under advanced sound options. Obviously, you also want to make sure that nothing serious is running in the background.

User Info: corpse_rot

corpse_rot
8 years ago#10
I'd really like to know your page file size
  1. Boards
  2. Neverwinter Nights
  3. slowness issues...
  • Topic Archived