• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
  3. Just picked this up, any tips for a newbie?

User Info: kdogg2077

kdogg2077
1 year ago#1
I've never played an RTS before, but this game had great reviews and a neat style so I picked it up. I just started the first mission. Almost makes me think of Tenchu with team strategy elements.

Anyways, I've heard this game gets pretty tough. Any advice to help keep me from breaking a controller later on?
"Every system dies, not every system truly lives." -IGN
RIP DREAMCAST

User Info: thecatsix

thecatsix
1 year ago#2
I played on Easy difficulty. It still was a good challenge. Later on it gets really rough.

The precision needed on higher difficulties compared to how well the units actually follow the Shadow directions can get really frustrating. Sometimes you need the units to follow something within 1/2 a second and they take some obfuscated route leading to failure....

Save a lot!

Have fun and beware little things on the ground, sometimes some real small scenery can block your route.
"You're not Friedrich!" --Famous Last Words: Medal of Honor

kdogg2077
1 year ago#3
Yeah I thought the game could have done a better job explaining the Shadow directions. I'm kinda stumbling around figuring that out as I go.

Def hitting that save button a lot!

So far I've left it on normal but it's been rough. The visioncones for enemies are double most games!
RIP DREAMCAST

thecatsix
1 year ago#4
The awareness of how fast the vision cones fill pushed me to easy.

Later on, man do they get insane. The Samurai are hardcore. :D

kdogg2077
1 year ago#5
Yeah the difficulty is starting to ruin this game for me. Normal should not be near this hard. Sometimes you're literally sandwiched between a half dozen guys in a small area where they just STARE at each other.

Prob drop down to easy soon. The normal setting for this game is hard mode.I'm on level 4 Mt. Saru or something.
RIP DREAMCAST

thecatsix
1 year ago#6
Normal was way too unforgiving for me. Even after I beat the game on Easy going back to try Normal was not fun.

Don't forget to use every trick you can. Whistling, throwing sake, traps.... You need your whole arsenal.

Some levels while small, still took me hours to complete. I felt the game was worth it in the end. Felt like an accomplishment even on Easy.

thecatsix
1 year ago#7
Note: Probably one of the biggest things is getting a single enemy to hear or see something.

Then when they get closer lead them even further away.

Timing a stored Shadow move to cause a lure was more effective than using Shadows to kill. Sometimes though, you need double Shadow kills. They're tough.

kdogg2077
1 year ago#8
Well I grit my teeth and made it to the 2nd to last mission. Still think this game is waayyy too hard. It's like they wanted to discourage anyone who didn't already know this genre to quit.

No reason Easy/Normal should be that way.

There are def some instances where you have to go Shadow move or double Shadow.
RIP DREAMCAST

User Info: thierminator

thierminator
1 year ago#9
This game is amazing and my personal GOTY for last year. I am not the best gamer, but i think normal is fine how it is. But i don't see myself getting every medal in every stage. The time medals are f***ing brutal
2018, Dark Souls Remaster . Catherine full body edition. R.I.P slayer
Sorry for my bad English

kdogg2077
1 year ago#10
Hat's off to you man. I thought this game was brutal. Enemies watching another enemy who is talking with some other guy. It got to be too much for me.
RIP DREAMCAST
  1. Boards
  2. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
  3. Just picked this up, any tips for a newbie?
  • Topic Archived