This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sun
  3. Gen 3 Question: Should I play original ruby/sapphire or remakes?

User Info: impulse89

impulse89
3 months ago#1
So this isn't specifically related to Pokemon Sun but it does sort of tie into it.

My overall goal is to catch all the pokemon in one game of each generation. I've already caught all pokemon in Red and Gold, so now I want to move on to Gen 3. I am wondering if I should play the gen 3 remakes or the originals? I am thinking the remakes because it will be easier (or I assume it will be, at least) to transfer all the pokemon over to the newer games (such as Sun/Moon) when I get to them. What do you think? If I play the gen 3 remakes, I will likely only be shooting for catching the first 386 that were available when the originals came out. I would then want to trade them over to the gen 4 games when I begin those. Would this be easy to do? If I play the original gen 3 games, is it even possible to trade pokemon from those GBA games over to the newer ones?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions but any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
3 months ago#2
It is easier to transfer Pokemon from OR/AS to SuMo/USUM, versus original R/S all the way to gen 7. That said, whether you go from the original games or the remakes, they will both say they came from Hoenn.

You cannot, however, transfer from the remakes back to gen 4. Cross-gen transfers are one-way (up) and irreversible.

To go from Gen 3 (RSE/FRLG) to Gen 4 (DPPt/HGSS) you need an original model DS or DS Lite. You also need to become Champion. Next you need to visit the Pal Park south of Sandgem Town or in Fuchsia City. Put the Gen 3 game in the GBA slot and start up the Gen 4 game. From the title menu you can choose to migrate Pokemon. The rest of the process is explained in-game.

To transfer from Gen 4 to Gen 5 (BW/B2W2) you need any two DS or 3DS systems. Again, becoming Champion is required. Visit the Transfer Lab on Unova Route 17 and follow the instructions.

To transfer from Gen 5 to any future games, you need a 3DS and both Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter. Load up Pokemon Transporter with your Gen 5 game in the system. You can move all Pokemon from Box 1 into Pokemon Bank's Transfer Box. Then close Transporter, switch to your Gen 6/7 game, load Pokemon Bank, and go from there.

Transfers from the Virtual Console RBY/GSC games are handled through Pokemon Transporter as well. Just be careful with Held Items.

*ahem* If you're only going to transfer them anyway, why not focus on just the 130-ish Pokemon released for Gen 3?
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II

User Info: ZaenKai

ZaenKai
2 months ago#3
If you don't care about transferring Pokemon to later games, perhaps you should probably get the original and not the remake. It's not in 3D, but it's simple and effective. The original Ruby & Sapphire are straight-forward. The remakes added things to try to be innovative, but it just drags down the experience. They added a concept where sometimes a pokemon's tail will be wiggling out from the grass and you can move your stick slightly to sneak up behind it. That one's not as annoying, but it's not useful. They took it out in Sun/Moon because of how unnecessary it is.
But the "Training" they added... that one in particular is horrendous. You can play this "Super Training" on your PokeNav which are a bunch of monotonous minigames, to increase the stats of your Pokemon. But as you would guess, it's boring, time-consuming, and takes you out of the Pokemon experience. Yeah, they took that one out of later games too.

In Sun/Moon (Gen VII), they instead have this concept where you can pet and feed your pokemon. That one is much simpler and quick compared to the things in Gen VI.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
2 months ago#4
ZaenKai posted...
They added a concept where sometimes a pokemon's tail will be wiggling out from the grass and you can move your stick slightly to sneak up behind it. That one's not as annoying, but it's not useful. They took it out in Sun/Moon because of how unnecessary it is.

You mean Dex Nav? That's the primary way to get Hidden Abilities in OR/AS. Plus you can get Egg Moves and up to 3IVs this way. While they did change things for SuMo, I'd hardly call this method "not useful."

But the "Training" they added... that one in particular is horrendous. You can play this "Super Training" on your PokeNav which are a bunch of monotonous minigames, to increase the stats of your Pokemon. But as you would guess, it's boring, time-consuming, and takes you out of the Pokemon experience. Yeah, they took that one out of later games too.

Time consuming, sure, but it does give you very accurate control over a Pokemon's EVs. And the secret courses are a good way to get evolution stones.

In Sun/Moon (Gen VII), they instead have this concept where you can pet and feed your pokemon. That one is much simpler and quick compared to the things in Gen VI.

Pokemon Refresh vs. Pokemon Amie. I liked the mini-games in Amie, though being able to cure status ailments in Refresh is useful. At the end of the day though, I mostly use the features to get Sylveon.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sun
  3. Gen 3 Question: Should I play original ruby/sapphire or remakes?