This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sun
  3. Tips on building a competitive team?

User Info: jw91

jw91
1 month ago#1
So, I've played and beaten most of the core Pokemon games that have been released, but I've only ever casually dabbled in online play. I've been thinking about starting to breed a decent competitive team and, well, I'm not exactly sure where to begin. I kind of have a handle on EVs (however slippery) but the minute people start talking about IVs and detailed nature compatibility, personality, etc., I'm thoroughly lost. I even tried to use an IV calculator online, but they said my pokemon's stats weren't valid for some reason.

I did play against other people in X and Y, but I probably won like 35% of my matches. A better win ratio than I expected back in the day, but still pretty abysmal. So, seriously... just explain it to me like I'm a moron. :)

My end-game team for Sun is Primarina, A-Muk, Gengar, Alakazam, Arcanine, and A-Golem. I'd like to breed better versions of at least a few of those (none of them had a lot of advanced training, except Gengar which my buddy traded to me as a Haunter). Arcanine, for some reason, hasn't impressed me and feels rather frail, but it may have been my fault.

P.S. I also like Alola Vulpix/Ninetales a lot, but it came so late in the game that I could never use it. Not sure if it'd be good competitively either.

How would I go about breeding optimal versions of the above pokemon? Would they even be good competitively or should I be looking at others? I'm not looking to be a total champ or anything, just to not get constantly curb-stomped by juiced up shinies and immaculately trained pokemon.

User Info: quintonshark163

quintonshark163
1 month ago#2
IVs go on a scale of 0-31 max
Hidden Power type depends on a set of IVs (ex; 31/30/31/30/31/30 = HP Fire)

Natures are also a big deal, depending on stats and natures they benefit the pokemon (ex; Timid/Modest benefits special attackers like Gengar, Alakazam and Primarina, Jolly/Adamant benefits physical attackers like Arcanine, Muk and Golem)

Whichever breeding parent is holding a everstone, the its nature is guaranteed for the eggs/babies

also, here's your team for doubles - https://pokepast.es/9904ba8b0661531f
i'll post you some recommendations

@jw91
FC: 4554-0551-0272 | IGN: TheHungryBox
The Pokemon Meta is BS because power creep. i had been grinched by the Grinch Leak lol. The Government is stupid AF

User Info: quintonshark163

quintonshark163
1 month ago#3
@jw91

here's a sand team you could use for doubles
https://pokepast.es/36fb279dd2c6539b
FC: 4554-0551-0272 | IGN: TheHungryBox
The Pokemon Meta is BS because power creep. i had been grinched by the Grinch Leak lol. The Government is stupid AF

User Info: jw91

jw91
4 weeks ago#4
Sorry, I didn't even realize I had a reply.

The first team you posted gives me relief, because that was pretty much my in-game team for Sun (except I used A-Graveler instead of A-Ninetails).

I'll get to breeding and try it out! :)
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sun
  3. Tips on building a competitive team?
  • Topic Archived