This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there much point having a setup sweeper for story?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sun
  3. Is there much point having a setup sweeper for story?

User Info: ftatman

ftatman
4 months ago#1
Aside from the obvious ‘because you want to’ is there any reason to use a special/physical setup sweeper in the early and middle stages of the story?

I’ve had Cutiefly, Pikachu, Rockruff and Salandit, and I just don’t find myself using them very much, despite the fact that I love some of their designs. I’m typically using the bulky dudes.

Because they are typically lacking power without their setup move of choice (e.g. nasty plot), I find the setup sweepers are sometimes too weak to OHKO and they end up taking damage unless I spend a turn setting up (and taking damage there), which they don’t like much due to their frail defences. Then I end up using a lot more potions than I otherwise would.

Issue seems to be the base power of their moves. Most of my Pokemon are using 50-60 base power moves. So it feels like HP is the most important stat, in case I don’t get the KO. I don’t want to be healing my team between every single trainer battle. Granted, they will learn 90+ base power moves later in the game and this probably won’t be an issue.

TL;DR I seem to be finding that I enjoy the bulkier Pokemon because I don’t have to heal them as often between encounters. Am I using them wrong or does it feel like this for you too?

User Info: Swampert0260

Swampert0260
4 months ago#2
I don’t know about other people, but I just use really powerful ones, whether it be in attack or special attack. There’s no need for anything else in game.
FC(Moon/UM)= 4613-9670-1712 FC(Y)= 4141-2166-9405 IGN(Moon/UM)= Caleb IGN(Y) = Josh I just restarted Moon. Got Ultra Moon for Christmas, haven't gotten far.

User Info: videogamepharoh

videogamepharoh
4 months ago#3
my calm mind alakazam bailed me out of some tough jams in game so I mean.. There's that. he had recover too so he wouldn't need to be healed that bad. just bring him in on a weak special attacker, set up on them, then blow up the other team.
FC=1221-1916-7148 IGN=Hussein

User Info: Salogy

Salogy
4 months ago#4
You don't need sweepers in this game. Just the right Z-crystals. All the trainers only have 1 or 2 pokemon each, so you just use Z-moves on everything and win.
"In truth, they haven't been allowed for ages, we've just never enforced the rule" -SineNomine on presigs

videogamepharoh
4 months ago#5
Yeah.... that doesn't quite work out later in the game. especially at the elite 4 or when fighting some of the later trainers

User Info: Nabiki_Tendo

Nabiki_Tendo
4 months ago#6
mostly healing moves are also wasted ingame because of items
AC New leaf Dream adress: 6D00-0011-18C5

videogamepharoh
4 months ago#7
yeah. items make the game super easy though. especially combined w/ refresh which also makes full heals pretty unnecessary too.

User Info: Touya999

Touya999
4 months ago#8
Use starter.
Nintendo switch fc : SW-3862-0989-2485
Smile, Sweet,Sister,Sadistic,Surprise,Service.This is Low /(_) Tier (/_\)God <(_)>

User Info: ai123

ai123
4 months ago#9
I can't ever remember using set up or tanking as an in-game strategy in Pokemon.

With a few exceptions, the game seems calibrated to allow you to blitz everything with your inevitably over-levelled starter.

User Info: Leon481

Leon481
4 months ago#10
ai123 posted...
I can't ever remember using set up or tanking as an in-game strategy in Pokemon.

With a few exceptions, the game seems calibrated to allow you to blitz everything with your inevitably over-levelled starter.

Some people like to use balanced teams, multiple parties, or weaker pokemon. In those instances where your team is not overlevelled or not made up of powerful pokemon, there are a few times where different strategies may be required.

I've had to use set up or tanking before to get past obstacles with a weaker, moderately levelled team. It was kind of fun not just steamrolling everything and having to work a bit for victory for once.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sun
  3. Is there much point having a setup sweeper for story?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived