This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stats explained! EVs, IVs, Natures, it's all in here! (V1.1)

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sun
  3. Stats explained! EVs, IVs, Natures, it's all in here! (V1.1)

User Info: jayman7

jayman7
1 year ago#1
There are many misconceptions about how stats are handled in Pokemon. Many make the mistake of believing that stats are calculated via Fire Emblem-esque "stat growth", but this simply is not the case! Allow me to explain the details about how Pokemon stats are determined.

SO HOW ARE THEY DETERMINED?

All stats except HP are determined through the following formula:

Stat = ((Base * 2 + IV + (EV/4)) * Level / 100 + 5) * Nmod

HP, however, is determined by:

HP = (Base * 2 + IV + (EV/4)) * Level / 100 + 10 + Level

Everything rounds down at every step. This formula has been consistent since the third generation. Also, as a slight exception, Shedinja's max HP will never exceed 1, no matter what the formula says.

BUT WHAT DO THOSE THINGS MEAN?

Well, Level should be pretty obvious. For the rest, let's go one at a time.

SO WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "BASE"?

Every Pokemon species or forme has six base stats defined. These are only numbers to plug into the formula; they are not necessarily representative of the stat at any particular level. The lowest normal base stat is 5 (for example, Happiny's Defense; technically, Shedinja's HP is lower, but it ignores the formula). The highest is 255 (for example, Blissey's HP).

Base stats can only change upon evolution, Mega Evolution, or certain other forme changes. You can look up base stats on most good Pokemon fan sites, like Serebii.

AND WHAT DOES NMOD MEAN?

Nature Modifier. There are 25 Natures that a Pokemon can have. Five of them (Hardy, Docile, Serious, Bashful, and Quirky) don't do anything. The rest increase one stat by 10%, and reduce another by 10%. You can see which is which by paying close attention to the Pokemon's stat graph on the status screen: a boosted stat will be colored red, while a reduced stat will be colored blue. The rest will be green.

No Nature affects HP.

For the sake of the formula, Nmod is 1.1 if the Nature boosts the stat in question, 0.9 if it reduces the stat, and 1.0 otherwise.

HOW DO I GET THE NATURE I WANT?

A Pokemon's Nature cannot be changed, but you can influence the Natures of Pokemon you have yet to meet in various ways. A Pokemon that is carrying an Everstone will always pass its Nature down to its offspring when breeding (unless the other parent is also holding an Everstone, in which case it will be a 50/50 shot which Nature the child gets.) Also, if your lead Pokemon has the Synchronize ability, any wild Pokemon (and most gift Pokemon) will have a 50% shot of matching its Nature.

OKAY, SO WHAT ARE IVs?

Individual values, or IVs, represent a Pokemon's genes. When a Pokemon is first obtained, it is granted six IVs, one to each of its six stats. These range from 0 to 31. At level 100, ignoring skewing by Nature, each IV will contribute one extra point toward its stat (it scales with level, so it will take two IVs to raise the stat by one point at level 50.)

Hidden Power's type is also determined by your IVs.

SO ARE THEY JUST RANDOM?

Mostly, but in certain conditions, you can get guaranteed max IVs. When chaining with the SOS mechanic, the Pokemon that are called will gradually get more and more of their IVs automatically maxed at 31, up to a maximum of 4 after around 40 have been called. (That number is currently uncertain.)

Legendary Pokemon (which for the purposes of this discussion include Type: Null, Cosmog, and the Ultra Beasts) will always have three guaranteed maxed IVs, though there's no guarantee of which stats it will be. (In X and Y, this was also true of baby Pokemon, but no longer.)
Creator of Jay's Journey, including Jay's Journey Reimagined/Jay's Journey 2: Worlds Apart!
https://jaysjourney2016.wordpress.com/

jayman7
1 year ago#2
YOU SAID THEY'RE LIKE GENES. SO WHEN YOU BREED POKEMON, DO THE CHILDREN INHERIT THEM?

Yup. When you breed two Pokemon, normally three randomly-chosen IVs are passed down from a random parent. If one parent is holding a Destiny Knot, this number jumps to five. If a parent is holding one of the Power items, the corresponding stat will always be passed down from that parent, but the Destiny Knot with an Everstone is usually recommended. It does not matter which parent holds the Destiny Knot. Any IVs not passed down will be randomized.

CAN'T I RAISE IVs AT ALL?

In previous generations, your IVs were permanently stuck. This generation introduces a new mechanic, though: Hyper Training. If you take a level 100 Pokemon and a Bottle Cap to Mr. Hyper in the Hau'oli mall, he can Hyper Train a Pokemon's stat, effectively overriding the IV to make it behave as 31 for stat purposes (this will not affect your Hidden Power type, and the Hyper Trained IV will not pass down when breeding.) If you have a Gold Bottlecap, you can Hyper Train all of a Pokemon's stats at once!

HOW DO I SEE MY IVs?

You cannot see your IVs directly, but you can get the general idea. In the Battle Tree, near the PC at the front desk, is a man. If you hatch 20 eggs and speak to this man, he will upgrade your PC with a "Judge" feature. Using this will allow you to see a graph of the Pokemon's IVs, and a text rating of each one:

Hyper Trained stat: "Hyper Trained!"
Natural 31: "Best"
30: "Fantastic"
26-29: "Very good"
16-25: "Pretty good"
1-15: "Decent"
0: "No good"

At the bottom of the screen, it will further note the following based on the sum of your Pokemon's IVs:

151-186: Outstanding potential!
121-150: Relatively superior potential
91-120: Above-average potential
0-90: Decent potential

OKAY, I THINK I GET THAT. SO WHAT ABOUT EVs?

If IVs represent a Pokemon's genes, Effort Values (EVs) represent their training. A freshly-caught or hatched Pokemon always has 0 EVs toward all six stats. As a Pokemon battles, you gain EVs based on the species of the Pokemon you fight. Level does not matter, only species. Generally speaking, Pokemon tend to give EVs toward the stats that they excel in. Weak and unevolved Pokemon usually give 1 EV, stronger one-stage Pokemon and those that have evolved once usually give 2, and legendaries and Pokemon that evolved twice give 3.

EVs are not split. If a Pokemon gains EXP from a fight for any reason, including the EXP Share (or, if the Pokemon is level 100, if they would have gained EXP from the fight), they get all of the EVs if they're not already maxed out.

Every 4 EVs gives 1 stat point at level 100. Like with IVs, that scales with level and skews with Nature. EVs are only useful in fours; exactly three EVs will do nothing.

SO CAN I JUST KEEP TRAINING A POKEMON'S EVs FOREVER?

No. There are limits to EVs. A single stat may only have 252 EVs applied to it (63 extra points at level 100 with a neutral Nature), and all six stats in total can only have 510. The per-stat limit was once 255; it was reduced slightly in the sixth generation (since EVs are only useful in fours). As 510 is not a multiple of four, you can consider the last two EVs a safety net for screwing up slightly. 510 EVs is enough to max two stats, and squeeze one more point into one other stat (though this is not the only way they can be distributed.)

Once a Pokemon's EVs are maxed, you simply stop gaining them (unless you reduce them, see below.)
Creator of Jay's Journey, including Jay's Journey Reimagined/Jay's Journey 2: Worlds Apart!

jayman7
1 year ago#3
ARE THERE ANY OTHER WAYS TO GET EVs? AND CAN THEY GO DOWN?

Vitamins, such a Carbos and Protein, give 10 EVs to a stat instantly, but cannot carry a stat above 100 EVs (so if you're using Vitamins, always use them first). Wing items add 1 EV to a stat; they can go up to the 252 limit, but not very quickly. Conversely, certain (clearly-marked) Berries can reduce an EV by 10, letting you retry a bad spread (note that reducing an EV will reduce the actual stat, so you can't abuse the system.)

Certain Festival Plaza events can modify your EVs, either up or down. The quickest examples: Bouncy House at level 7 can max a stat in one go, while Secret Meals at Cafes can reduce a stat's EVs straight down to 0.

Also, if you leave Pokemon in the Isle Evelup, you can boost EVs. Every 30-minute session (except when you're using a Level Boost drink) grants 1 EV toward the stat you're training if the Isle Evelup hasn't been upgraded, 2 if it's been upgraded once, and 4 if it's been upgraded twice. The sessions will go twice as fast if you give them Beans, but it won't increase the number of EVs per session (though it will give you twice as many in the same time period, of course!)

EVs will never decrease on their own; you have to use things like berries or the Festival Plaza shops to decrease them.

CAN I GET THEM FASTER?

EV gains through battle can be increased. There exists a rare status called Pokerus. Any Pokemon that contracts this will permanently gain double EVs through battle, and it can spread rapidly through the active party. Pokerus will run out after the Pokemon spends enough time in the party, but a Pokemon in the box will never lose Pokerus. Even when it wears off, this does not stop the double EVs; it just stops being contagious.

A Pokemon holding a Power item (Weight, Bracer, etc.) will always get 8 extra EVs toward the stat associated with the item whenever it gets EVs from battle (it was 4 in previous generations). This stacks with Pokerus! There also exists an item called the Macho Brace, which doubles all EV gains from battle, but at time of writing, the Macho Brace is unavailable in the seventh generation. These items work even if the Pokemon is simply absorbing the EVs through the EXP Share.

What's more, once a wild Pokemon successfully calls for help, all Pokemon in that battle (including the original) give double EVs which stack with Pokerus and a Power item! From the right Pokemon, you can theoretically get 44 EVs from just one Pokemon this way! Mind, 3 EV Pokemon are rare in the wild, but 1 EV Pokemon will give 36 a pop when all the conditions are right, and 2 EV Pokemon will give 40; either of those numbers will max a stat in just seven Pokemon.

Only the Pokémon that actually have Pokerus or a Power item gain their benefits. If your lead Pokémon has both and another in your party has neither, only the lead Pokémon will benefit, even with EXP Share.

SO WHAT ARE SOME GOOD THINGS TO FIGHT TO GET EVs?

You'll ideally want something reasonably common on its route that can only summon more of itself, or Pokemon that give similar EVs. Naturally, use an Adrenaline Orb and False Swipe/Hold Back to encourage the Pokemon to call for help.

Since level doesn't matter, you don't have to get something that challenges you. Rattatas on Route 1 will give you plenty of Speed EVs; you don't need to focus on things later in the game.

Here are some reasonably common things to fight for various stats:

HP: Grimer, Caterpie (but be careful, Metapod and Butterfree do not give HP EVs), Wailmer/Wailord
ATTACK: Pikipek/Trumbeak, Yungoos/Gumshoos, Lillipup
DEFENSE: Pelipper, Geodude/Graveler
SPECIAL ATTACK: Magnemite, Abra, Finneon
SPECIAL DEFENSE: Tentacool, Ledyba/Ledian
SPEED: Rattata/Raticate, Wingull, Meowth, Spearow/Fearow, Magikarp (but be careful, Gyarados gives Attack)

jayman7
1 year ago#4
CAN I SEE MY EVs?

Only in graph form; press Y on a Pokemon's status screen to change their stat graph to one that shows EVs. Also, a maxed EV will have the stat sparkle on the status screen.

A Pokemon that has 510 EVs can get an Effort Ribbon from a woman in the Royal Avenue.

HOW SHOULD I ARRANGE MY EVs?

However you want. A very simple and common spread for an offensive Pokemon is 252 in its primary attack stat, 252 in Speed, and 4 in some other stat (often HP). More complex spreads are good for specific purposes. Websites like Smogon often give example builds, but no one has a gun to your head. Go ahead and experiment!

WHAT IF I THINK THIS WHOLE EV TRAINING THING IS A WASTE OF TIME?

For normal in-game play, it actually more-or-less is. In player-versus-player play, you're putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage by not doing so.

A GOOD STRATEGY IS BETTER THAN STATS!

And a good strategy with optimized stats is better than an otherwise-good strategy without them. EV training is, in and of itself, a good strategy.

And, yes, I have seen people say that.

SO WHAT ARE THOSE NUMBERS THAT APPEAR WHEN I GAIN A LEVEL?

The Little Plus Numbers (LPNs)?

They don't mean anything important. They are not "stat gains", as such a gnome does not exist in the world of Pokemon.

Ignore them.

Yes, I'm serious.

WHY ARE RARE CANDIES BAD?

They're not. There are no negative effects of using Rare Candies. That's a myth, probably due to LPNs and the way stats worked in earlier generations (which wasn't all that different, but tended to inflate LPNs in some circumstances.)

WHEN SHOULD I START EV TRAINING?

Keep in mind that all battles your Pokemon gets EXP from will give you EVs - quite possibly EVs you do not want. So it's best to EV train something you intend to use seriously ASAP, just to cut down on the resources you'd need to spend to reduce your EVs later.

As for what level you get the EVs? Irrelevant.

HOW MANY EVs SHOULD I GET PER LEVEL?

EVs are not given on a per-level basis, so it does not matter in the slightest.

IS IT BETTER TO EVOLVE EARLY SO I HAVE BETTER STATS LATER?

No, it doesn't matter.

HEY! YOU SAID THAT 252 EVs GIVE 63 STAT POINTS! BUT MY LEVEL 20 POKEMON BARELY HAS 63 STAT POINTS AT ALL! I KNOW I TRAINED IT RIGHT! WHAT GIVES?!

That is not how EVs work. They scale with level, remember? At level 20, those 252 EVs are only worth about 12 or 13 points (assuming neutral Nature).

WAIT, WHAT?! I SHOULD HAVE TRAINED AT LEVEL 100 THEN!

No, no, no, EVs are just a factor in the formula. They're not going anywhere. They'll still be there in their full 63-point glory once you hit level 100.

CAN I EV TRAIN AT LEVEL 100?

Yes (but not in the third and fourth generations.)

User Info: VyersReaver

VyersReaver
1 year ago#5
I guess someone's fishing for them sticky requests.
3DS FC: 2423 - 4301 - 6207
Moon IGN: Safer

User Info: _wwKd_

_wwKd_
1 year ago#6
Why don't you just make a guide dude jfc
Yeezy Season Fast Approaching.
What Would Kobe Do? LoL GT:YeezusWest

jayman7
1 year ago#7
More like "I made a mistake in the last version, but didn't notice until it was too late to edit. Since it never got stickied, I'll just remake it without the error."

Believe me, if not for that, I'd have just bumped the last topic.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: JayMan1

JayMan1
1 year ago#8
But how do magnets work?

User Info: Frostshock

Frostshock
1 year ago#9
Let's not add a fourth sticky, this is starting to get ridiculous. At least some of the existing ones have to be taken down first.
Got questions about schoolwork? Want to share answers, or discuss your studies? Come to Homework Helpers!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1060-homework-helpers

User Info: DontWorrii

DontWorrii
1 year ago#10
31 IV at level 50 and remove 5 for Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. 31 IV at level 50 and remove 60 for HP.
Watch Eyewitness on USA
Also, FC: 5000-1908-3369
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Sun
  3. Stats explained! EVs, IVs, Natures, it's all in here! (V1.1)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.