• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Cloud 2
  3. Help with Monster Transformation leveling

User Info: Laihoard

Laihoard
2 years ago#1
I'm going for the Platinum in this game and am currently leveling up Gemron in order to deal with the Monster Transformation Medals. If it weren't for the Moon Flower Palace, I would just wait until Zelmite Mines.

This grind is just painfully long, and I understand it pretty much takes long no matter what, but I'm just wondering if there is any way to find an Experience Coin. I understand they can be obtained as Spheda rewards, but I've already earned all of the Spheda Medals up to this point and am unsure if I can still get one. If not then should I build up a Thorn Armlet, or just forget it and keep grinding the way I am?

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 years ago#2
From what I could look up on the wiki (https://darkcloud.fandom.com/wiki/Coins), there's no real reliable way to obtain Experience Coins until Chapter 8. Aside from Spheda, but like you said, you already got all the medals - the secondary prizes are usually random and comparatively worthless IIRC.

So the Thorn Armlet is probably the way to go.

The Ruler's Sword is also a viable option. You can't buy it but you can build up to it (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/185524-dark-cloud-2/faqs/22222) or invent it (Figure, Iron Maiden, Paznos or Gigantor Paznos). Whether that's worth it is up to you.

(Also looking around, fwiw, they can't be gotten as Spheda prizes anyhow so oh well.)
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/fexbndS

Laihoard
2 years ago#3
Eevee-Trainer posted...
From what I could look up on the wiki (https://darkcloud.fandom.com/wiki/Coins), there's no real reliable way to obtain Experience Coins until Chapter 8. Aside from Spheda, but like you said, you already got all the medals - the secondary prizes are usually random and comparatively worthless IIRC.

So the Thorn Armlet is probably the way to go.

The Ruler's Sword is also a viable option. You can't buy it but you can build up to it (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/185524-dark-cloud-2/faqs/22222) or invent it (Figure, Iron Maiden, Paznos or Gigantor Paznos). Whether that's worth it is up to you.

(Also looking around, fwiw, they can't be gotten as Spheda prizes anyhow so oh well.)

Thanks for the quick response!

It seems like they are offered as a reward for placing second in the Fishing Contest, but I'm not sure if it's random or not. The Thorn Armlet doesn't even affect the enemies in the Moon Flower Palace, and I'm kind of tired of building up so many weapons, but I'll definitely try the Ruler's Sword. I really only need it to the point that it can take the last sliver of health from enemies.

User Info: palatinae

palatinae
2 years ago#4
You probably know this (or maybe not), but ...

You can kill the monsters with (as an example) Monica and then QUICKLY hit the R3 button (right joy stick pressed down) and change to monster formation and then, AS THE MONSTER, collect the blue balls (which are the ABS). After collecting the ABS, press the R3 again to switch back to Monica and continue on. AFAIK, time in game does not continue while switching forms like this ... so, it is still possible to beat the time medal doing this.

An additional selling point: If you have ABS UP on Monica's weapon and that weapon is the weapon that kills the monster, whomever actually "absorbs" the blue balls (ABS) will get the 20% extra from the ABS UP. In theory, you could kill with Max, switch to Monica and then switch again to Monster Tranformation as well. I used this early on in game while I killed everything with RidePod and then switched to Max or Monica and leveled up their weapons - which btw, will level up both right and left hand weapons at the same time when doing this.

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 years ago#5
I feel like that's exactly why TC wants a weapon with ABS Up. =P
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/fexbndS

User Info: palatinae

palatinae
2 years ago#6
Eevee-Trainer posted...

Quite likely, but when I read the part about taking an enemy down to a sliver on health, that made me think that they were actually trying to kill AS the monster transform instead of using Monica's best weapon (or Max's)

Laihoard posted...
but I'll definitely try the Ruler's Sword. I really only need it to the point that it can take the last sliver of health from enemies.

User Info: poplo909

poplo909
2 years ago#7
Your best option is probably to level a thorn armlet to +5 and synth that to your main weapon(s) as it will transfer the abs up (and the poverty, but money shouldn't be an issue hopefully). Just to be perfectly clear you can transfer the abs up from the thorn armlet to something else, so you don't have to make the armlet viable, just get it to +5.

They level up very fast in Moon Flower Palace and can be bought from milane for 820 Gilda.

Then just use any of the weapons with abs up to kill enemies before switching to your monster.

Just to be extra sure before I posted this I did go and test this, got abs up and poverty on my Island King.
PSN and steam- or4ca1nus3

Laihoard
2 years ago#8
palatinae posted...
Eevee-Trainer posted...

Quite likely, but when I read the part about taking an enemy down to a sliver on health, that made me think that they were actually trying to kill AS the monster transform instead of using Monica's best weapon (or Max's)

Laihoard posted...
but I'll definitely try the Ruler's Sword. I really only need it to the point that it can take the last sliver of health from enemies.

Yeah I did know that already, but it's definitely something I think a lot of players can miss. I've just been building up so many weapons that I'm kind of exhausted by it at this point, which is why I want a weapon with ABS Up to finish off enemies so I don't have to fight them with it entirely.

Laihoard
2 years ago#9
poplo909 posted...
Your best option is probably to level a thorn armlet to +5 and synth that to your main weapon(s) as it will transfer the abs up (and the poverty, but money shouldn't be an issue hopefully). Just to be perfectly clear you can transfer the abs up from the thorn armlet to something else, so you don't have to make the armlet viable, just get it to +5.

They level up very fast in Moon Flower Palace and can be bought from milane for 820 Gilda.

Then just use any of the weapons with abs up to kill enemies before switching to your monster.

Just to be extra sure before I posted this I did go and test this, got abs up and poverty on my Island King.

Oh wow I had no idea! Thank you, I will definitely try this.

User Info: grehik24

grehik24
2 years ago#10
My tip for getting coins is to play each floor about five time, It's better to do this early on. I've doing this for years and have found a lot of success with it. I just got to Balance Valley and I have I think about five or six coins. I'm at work right now so I can't get a pic of my inventory.

Whenever I get the Happy Clown I always close my eyes and flip the stick up and down as fast as I can. I have about an 80% success rate for getting the better item.
I'm Bruce Payne!.... AND I'M OUT!
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Cloud 2
  3. Help with Monster Transformation leveling
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

Elder Jurak's branch restored? Side Quest3 Answers
Morning sun picture? General3 Answers
How do i get the picture of cinders? Main Quest1 Answer
Is the fishing rod bug fixed? Side Quest1 Answer
How to become good at Spheda? Side Quest1 Answer