• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Eat Your Vegetables!
  3. Eat Your Vegetables! Art and Design

User Info: pikeface

pikeface
3 years ago#1
Hey GameFAQers,

My name is Dean, and I was the lead artist and graphic designer on Eat Your Vegetables! The game itself took us a year to put together, but that was also with a hiatus in between due to personal matters for both myself and the developer.

We were so happy to just have Eat Your Vegetables! release for iOS this year, especially after it was briefly rejected by the App Store. After a bit of sweet-talking we were able to launch on January 1st 2016.

I am very happy with how the art and design turned out in the game. Almost everything in the game was a hand drawn asset that was scanned and vectorized to look the same as it was drawn. Even all of the characters were just drawn by hand and then I had to break everything down to make movable assets that still look like the original drawings.

The vegetables and other objects were probably my favourite part of the design process. Not because they are the easiest, or because they are the main object in the game, but because it game me a chance to start drawing again and drawing a bunch of vegetables over and over was a refreshing change to the mostly digital world I've got myself into.

The character design was a whole different story. After various mockups and concepts, I came up with a pudgy baby shape that I was pleased with. The first drawing almost looked like a baby Mr. Clean. No hair, no clothes, no real features. I used this as a template and started to plan out my characters around that shape, that was I can animate them as close as possible to each other without having to draw out characters over and over in case the sizing was off.

Please check out our game! We really look forward to you playing it.
  1. Boards
  2. Eat Your Vegetables!
  3. Eat Your Vegetables! Art and Design
  • Topic Archived