• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: DarkSwordsman

DarkSwordsman
1 year ago#21
You have to deploy at least one team or else things will get really hard for you, since the number of enemies on later stages will overwhelm the main characters. The extra characters will also help on stages with a time limit, since some stages will be impossible to beat with just the normal characters alone. Some challenges and quests will also be impossible to do without the assistance of the extra characters.

My first G Gen game was portable, and in that game, you cannot deploy any characters into a series into which they appear, which mean that you will have to constantly cycle out characters from team and battleship crew.

In previous games, there were no original characters, you can only recruit mercenaries, and the leave after each stage completed, so you constantly have to recruit pilots, and there were no backtracking allowed until you completed the series. You wanted to go back to those times? G Gen Wars was the first game I believe, to allow you to deploy multiple of the same characters into a battleship group.

There are two types of G Gen games, Historical and Crossovers. Historical are those that have each series separate from each other and Crossovers are those that have multiple timeline crossing over with each others. Genesis belong to the Historical group. Crossovers will have characters interact with each other, but in those games, you do not have much freedom of who you can put into which suits, and also limit who you can recruit as well. Any character that dies within their series will also die as the crossover game progresses. For games in the Historical group, as long as you meet the requirements, you can reruit any characters and also put them into any units that you want.

You want the characters in the stages to acknowledge your deployed characters? That will lead to an issue of the sheer amount of extra dialogue that have to be written for each characters that you can recruit. Lines for why there is another version of them, and in certain situation, why certain characters are now on the opposing side.
"Sharp as a razor." - Arnaud G. Vasquez (WA4)

User Info: Taters660

Taters660
1 year ago#22
Unfortunately, the gundam games have very little continuity from the media they are based off of. You aren’t going to find a game from this franchise on modern systems, that suits the criteria you are looking for. The whole point of these SRPG gundam games is to relive the major events of plots from various series, and building the dream team of mobile suits that could never happen normally. The newer one, Cross Rays for example, is 4 different gundam worlds combined (the wing gundam, the strike freedom, the Qan[T], and the Barbatos can all be on the same team). Your options really are to just get over trying to make this game “immersive” and enjoy the SRPG that it is, or try a different franchise that keeps you more immersed I guess? (Fire emblem, Advance wars, ogre battle, etc.)

User Info: MH-Luneth

MH-Luneth
1 year ago#23
Taters660 posted...
Unfortunately, the gundam games have very little continuity from the media they are based off of. You aren’t going to find a game from this franchise on modern systems, that suits the criteria you are looking for. The whole point of these SRPG gundam games is to relive the major events of plots from various series, and building the dream team of mobile suits that could never happen normally. The newer one, Cross Rays for example, is 4 different gundam worlds combined (the wing gundam, the strike freedom, the Qan[T], and the Barbatos can all be on the same team). Your options really are to just get over trying to make this game “immersive” and enjoy the SRPG that it is, or try a different franchise that keeps you more immersed I guess? (Fire emblem, Advance wars, ogre battle, etc.)
I guess I'll just give up on trying to find a Gundam SRPG that retains continuity and has good gameplay.
I don't think I can enjoy this game at all, I tried to play chapter 3 again recently, but ended up turning it off almost immediately after deploying the units, it just felt like a waste of time for me to even bother with it.
MH-Luneth posted...
I was told that this game was great, but I dropped it after playing through the first 2 chapters of the original series.
I hate how I can't just relive the story properly, and I'm forced to deploy these stupid OC donut steel characters. As if that wasn't already bad enough, I can't even let the OC ship get destroyed, because that leads to an instant game over, and I can't even just hide them in a corner of the map, because the enemy units are way too powerful and its impossible to beat the maps without getting carried by the super powerful OC characters, who are allowed to level up, while the real cast isn't allowed to gain EXP at all unless I use one of them to kill a majority of the enemies to fill up their stupid bar, which allows them to be added to the OC ship, but that's stupid, because if I unlock Amuro, then deploy him, there will be two Amuros on the map. Its immersion breaking, these characters shouldn't be there, and there isn't even any freaking story for them to be there. The plot just follows the show, and then suddenly you're deploying these made up literal whos that have super powered mobile suits.

This guy is AKA NOOOB

User Info: mbuma

mbuma
1 year ago#25
No, I understand your point, the original characters are crap. It's always a pain to drag them around until you get the real characters. Just play with them for a few stages, focus on requirements to unlock the real characters then replace them with the Gundam characters as you unlock them.

I find them so out of place and generic that I even put them at the bottom of the characters roster to make sure I forget they even exist.
Whatever.

User Info: DarkSwordsman

DarkSwordsman
1 year ago#26
TC didn't say that the Original Characters are crappy. They said that the OC are overpowered when that is not the case at all. The Canon characters have much better starting stats than the OC. They also said that it is stupid to have to work to unlock pilots to recruit, and that they shouldn't be forced to deploy anyone at all and just play the stage straight as is, because they feel it is immersive breaking to have two Amuro in the same stage or even characters from other series appearing.

We all tried to explain that if TC didn't want to use the OCs, then just work to unlock the Canon characters, or use the custom characters, but they didn't want to do that either.
"Sharp as a razor." - Arnaud G. Vasquez (WA4)

User Info: ChainGoblin

ChainGoblin
8 months ago#27
In terms of gameplay the OCs kinda are over powered, especially if you have the dlc. It's also true that you really can't play the early stages without using them.

If you try to start your own team you can only afford either a ship or units and if you purchase units from what is available early on then the missions for the original show are very hard. The enemies have a big numbers advantage and if all you have is tanks and fighters that catches up to you quick.

But the Tornado and Phoenix Gundams can handle all that just fine. They can fly and have antilarge weapons right off the bat.

My advice to the TC would be to try to play the stages in chronological order rather than by series. It's a little easier that way and you can level up your original units before you get to the tougher missions. Maybe bring one tornado or phoenix along just for support.

The missions all have the date in the corner of the screen. Only month and year but it's enough to get going. That gives you plenty of fighters and tanks to blow up for XP before the game starts tossing Zakus at you.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A