• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. DiRT Rally
  3. So how big will this game be?

User Info: QuBix

QuBix
3 years ago#11
asad posted...
File size is bigger than SLR. 43.3GB.

That can mean many things but mostly Dirt Rally has better textures than SLRE, better car designs, most likely better physics which take up space etc. etc.
XBLive Tag: QuBics
PSN Tag: QuBix

User Info: asad

asad
3 years ago#12
Preload supported?

User Info: eugenius8

eugenius8
3 years ago#13
43.31GB from disc and a 270MB update.

User Info: Rayder

Rayder
3 years ago#14
asad posted...
Preload supported?

Yeah, mine is pre-loading now. Initial file is 5.970GB. Will report when the application data starts.

Edit: App data says 43.064. Initial DL is already updated to 1.01....no separate patch download.
Added support for the HORI Wheel
Multiple bug fixes and polish
I've been gaming since 1974. I've seen/played/been-there-done-that all before. Now I'm bored and posting on forums.

User Info: asad

asad
3 years ago#15
Rayder posted...
asad posted...
Preload supported?

Yeah, mine is pre-loading now. Initial file is 5.970GB. Will report when the application data starts.

Edit: App data says 43.064. Initial DL is already updated to 1.01....no separate patch download.
Added support for the HORI Wheel
Multiple bug fixes and polish

Thanks bro. Mine is 10gb done so far :).

User Info: DarkDoc

DarkDoc
3 years ago#16
So I think I know where this is going - the game doesn't have the number of tracks of WRC5, or the number of cars of SLRE... As far as I can tell, it has better graphics than both, and the reviews suggest better physics than both... My gut feeling is that there are just about enough cars for a rally game, my only question is around the number of rallies.

Have all of the Dirt updates been free so far? The game is currently #1 in the UK chart, so it must be doing something right...

User Info: threedown

threedown
3 years ago#17
DarkDoc posted...
So I think I know where this is going - the game doesn't have the number of tracks of WRC5, or the number of cars of SLRE... As far as I can tell, it has better graphics than both, and the reviews suggest better physics than both... My gut feeling is that there are just about enough cars for a rally game, my only question is around the number of rallies.

Have all of the Dirt updates been free so far? The game is currently #1 in the UK chart, so it must be doing something right...

It's not about the most cars or tracks, it's about the gameplay, thats why it's number one.

DarkDoc
3 years ago#18
I realise it's not all about raw numbers, but in a lot of areas they do help. Subjective stuff affecting enjoyment might include:

Variety - partly determined by the number of cars and the number of game modes
Longevity - partly determined by the number of events in the career
Replayability - partly determined by the number of tracks
Excitement/Realism/Immersion - both helped by the sense of speed, which in turn is influenced by the number of frames per second, draw distance, etc

Content goes a long way. The game I play most often is over 2 years old, and I feel like I've only just scratched the surface. I still play games originally released in the 90s. Any game I buy, I expect to be able to pull off the shelf again in 5 or even 10 years time, and have something to do that doesn't feel like a chore because I've done it too many times already. In this way, lifespan is mostly derived from the numbers above.

Having said all that, yeah, there's got to be the unexplainable wow-factor as well. This is why I read the content of reviews, rather than just skipping down to the score.

DarkDoc
3 years ago#19
Recently I've been thinking about this again, in a different way, and Dirt isn't quite as bad as I first thought, comparing to circuit-based games...

Assuming a typical circuit is on average 5 km long. An F1 game has 21 circuits, for a total length of about 105 km. Forza 6 has 26 tracks (130 km), Grid Autosport has 28 locations (ignoring variants and counting only one circuit per location is 140 km in total), Project Cars has 31 locations (155 km), and Gran Turismo 6 has 43 locations (215 km in total). Dirt Rally has around 150 km (I've also heard 144 km)? So that puts it right in the middle of these other games.

It's a shame about Barcelona and Hockenheim though - we know Codemasters have a PS4 model of the full circuits because they were both included in their F1 game which uses the same game engine. GameSpot said that the rallycross modes "feel half-baked", and with only 3 tracks it's easy to see why. Moving a few barriers is easy, and I really think this would have helped.

DarkDoc
3 years ago#20
They've missed the World RX of Hockenheim on May 8, but the World RX of Barcelona is in September, so it would tie in perfectly as DLC. Or am I overthinking this?
  1. Boards
  2. DiRT Rally
  3. So how big will this game be?
  • Topic Archived