• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Gone Home: Console Edition
  3. A 17 years-old's love *Spoilers*

User Info: GunningSoul

GunningSoul
3 years ago#1
Sure, it's nice that Sam discovers her sexuality and learns to accept it. However, she's 17, she's probably not going to stay in love with Lonnie for so long, and it doesn't sound like running away with her is a sound plan in any capacity.

The same would apply if she had fallen for a boy and ran away with him. What she's going to do when the passion fizzles out? It's bound to happen, it always does. Teenage romances are fickle.

I get that it's interesting and important that she gets to find herself. It's just that. It seems
I sincerely apologize if this message offended you in any way. Let it known that I value your opinion and that I respect you as a person.

User Info: PhantomDragon

PhantomDragon
3 years ago#2
Ill copy and paste abit of what I wrote addressing the hardships of their choice in my other topic:

Lonnies dad wouldnt have been ok with her going AWOL but if he does know shes lesbian then, as pointed out earlier, in 1995 thats grounds for immediate military discharge. So using any 'pull' or whatnot with the military might be a moot point...if he was going to even consider that. Maybe if only to bring her home and then shed probly just runaway again.

The military might try to track her down but from what i read from actual former military personnel, they probly wouldnt spend much resource trying to track down a young lesbian ROTC awol who didnt even start training.
But i have heard of Basic Training awols serving up to 2-years in military jail so it kinda could go both ways.
Lonnies mom ran off to Florida with some new guy so i doubt her opinion would even matter.

Sams parents are like most typical 90's parents, most likely close minded and/or uninformed properly...as evidenced by the little slip of paper saying INSIDE EDITION: special camps to cure homosexuality.
I dont see their mind changing much in the short term. Running away may create some sadness and confusion that ultimately may force some reflection on their methods but that would take some time...like years. I highly doubt this family was so anti-alterny lifestyle that theyd disown Sam....heck from what we learn that would even push Katie away then theyd have noone.

No, i think if Sam can survive and gives it a few years she could plausibly come back home with Katies help to the family . Lonnie would theoretically be welcomed back coldly but she probly would expect that. Keep in mind that Jan, Sams mom, was flirting/kinda seeing that Rick guy so shes already not in a position to throw heavy moral judgements. Thats leverage for Sam to use.

The real challenge would lie in survival, Lonnie was 18 and the only one of the two who could legally work to support them....despite Sam five-fingering most of the house before she left i think theyd be spending ALOT of cold nights sleeping in Sams car. Id also like to believe Sam reaches out at some point to Katie for the occasional financial help.

Tough road ahead indeed.
FC: 1607-2374-6438 II PSN: Phantom_Jukebox
"I would follow her anywhere, Katie. But I can't, where she's going." - Sam in Gone Home

User Info: Mayus_Black

Mayus_Black
2 years ago#3
If I may weigh in here. Lonnie never made it to Boot Camp. She hasnt filled out all the appropriate paperwork. There are likely minimal consequences for running at this point. During is another matter.
Bitter is the tongue that cuts as a knife.
http://i.imgur.com/60TmoVT.jpg

User Info: TrulyEpicLawls

TrulyEpicLawls
2 years ago#4
GunningSoul posted...
Sure, it's nice that Sam discovers her sexuality and learns to accept it. However, she's 17, she's probably not going to stay in love with Lonnie for so long

What she's going to do when the passion fizzles out? It's bound to happen, it always does. Teenage romances are fickle.

These are all assumptions that have the same probability of happening as the exact opposite happening.
To win an argument: 'calm down', 'troll', 'hater', 'you obviously', 'LOL', 'don't care', 'I'm done', 'actually this is funny', 'not wasting my time', 'butthurt'

User Info: universaldave

universaldave
2 years ago#5
Well it's easy to look behind the "happy ending" and see that it's probably not at all going to be some kind of Fairy Tale, BUT... I still felt really good about it because I, like a lot of players, I think, thought I was going to find Sam dead in the attic.

The story had me dreading the trip up those stairs. And that's interesting, if you think about it. The combination of the ever-present storm, the disapproval of the parents, the hints of the occult, the drama of Sam's statements about "not being able to go on without Lonnie" etc., built things up to be more than it really was. It made a simple (to my way of thinking) "first love" story feel like it had "end of the world" importance. And that's how teenagers often feel!

So, with all that, you fear the very worst... so it was a nice twist, actually, that she merely ran off to be with her lover... and yes, it matters somewhat, that her lover is a girl. It shouldn't, but it does. She can't really help that, though, can she? At the end of the day young lovers, even if they're not gay, often face a hard road. It's their road to take, though, and it's far better that they do that instead of the alternative... winding up dead in the attic, for instance!
Fanboys (of all stripes) are sad, pathetic, souls. You know who you are.

User Info: PhantomDragon

PhantomDragon
2 years ago#6
Mayus_Black posted...
If I may weigh in here. Lonnie never made it to Boot Camp. She hasnt filled out all the appropriate paperwork. There are likely minimal consequences for running at this point. During is another matter.

Once you take your medical physical exam youre pretty much committed to joining, or so ive been told. Regardless, yeah the consequences if any wouldve been minimal i imagine.
FC: 1607-2374-6438 II PSN: Phantom_Jukebox
"I wish I could hear her, heaven's kinda far away" - Dias Flac

User Info: ZetaroZethren

ZetaroZethren
2 years ago#7
universaldave posted...
Well it's easy to look behind the "happy ending" and see that it's probably not at all going to be some kind of Fairy Tale, BUT... I still felt really good about it because I, like a lot of players, I think, thought I was going to find Sam dead in the attic.

lol i sure as hell wasnt thinking that. but i got the impression that sam wasnt really the kill urself type, she had a well off family, interesting hobbies (going to concerts, sending out comics or was that a book) and an independent spirit.

game did have an unnecessarily creepy atmosphere, specially considering the subject matter.

User Info: universaldave

universaldave
2 years ago#8
Well the last entries I read were about her conflict with her parents over her relationship, her girlfriend leaving to join the army, and Sam talking about how she didn't know if she could go on with her. I did realize, of course, that that game could have been misleading me but there was also the creepy room with the pentagram and stuff. It just felt like something bad was going to be revealed!
Fanboys (of all stripes) are sad, pathetic, souls. You know who you are.

User Info: dpavol1

dpavol1
2 years ago#9
I'm just going to put this out there and hope I won't get flamed. I know two girls who are EXACTLY like Sam and Lonnie. Both of which actually come from Washington and grew up in this era. One of them was a lesbian for decades, but had hetero dalliances off and on while living with her girlfriend and their two kids. Eventually, though, they broke up after nearly 20 years together and she is now living with a guy.

The other girl I know was even more like Sam, and I laughed my ass off when I saw that motorcycle ad under Sam's bed because this girl also loved fixing up motorcycles with her dad. She was a tomboy growing up, as well as a phenomenal amateur writer, and she also went through a serious identity crisis at around the same age as Sam where she thought she might be a lesbian. When she got a little older, though, she met the right guy and that was that. Sadly, she passed away a few years back.

Anyway, the point of this is that Sam is just simply way too damn young to really know for sure that she is a lesbian. Sexuality isn't as concrete as people think it is, both for straight and gay. It's actually a really sore subject for a lot of lesbians, especially older ones, because there are a lot of women who live a gay lifestyle for years, then their biological clock kicks in and they kind of abandon ship, if you will. It's weird, really, but it does happen.

Regardless, what pissed me off about Sam, the premise of this game, and the 90's in general, is the glorification of telling your parents to go f*** themselves. Yeah, sure, Jan and Terry were a bit bland and, quite frankly, depressing, but they were good parents, despite their bad reaction to Sam's sexuality. What Sam didn't know or care about, though, was that her parents were going through identity crises themselves, both individually and as a couple. And they didn't have the luxury of being able to just run away. Playing this game made me feel like a beggar on the street watching a feast through a window. I wish I had parents that stable and boring. Sam had so many things she just didn't appreciate at all, and then, while her parents are struggling to repair a near miss to the end of their marriage, Sam steals from them and runs away with Lonnie, thereby just proving that her parents were right to view Lonnie as a bad influence.
"When I die, I want you to bury me on this hill under that there shade tree...with my hanglider, so when zombie times come I can attack from above."

User Info: TrulyEpicLawls

TrulyEpicLawls
2 years ago#10
dpavol1 posted...
Anyway, the point of this is that Sam is just simply way too damn young to really know for sure that she is a lesbian. Sexuality isn't as concrete as people think it is, both for straight and gay.

Everyone is different. Some people know or are the same from birth to death, others aren't.
To win an argument: 'calm down', 'troll', 'hater', 'you obviously', 'LOL', 'don't care', 'I'm done', 'actually this is funny', 'not wasting my time', 'butthurt'
  1. Boards
  2. Gone Home: Console Edition
  3. A 17 years-old's love *Spoilers*
  • Topic Archived